Which BUG or pocket gun to buy?

This is a discussion on Which BUG or pocket gun to buy? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I narrowed them down to these. The S&W 442 and 642 also are available used. They both show some wear. On a scale of 1-10 ...

View Poll Results: Which pocket gun to buy?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • New S&W 642 $449

8 12.31%
  • New S&W 442 $449

5 7.69%
  • Used S&W 642 $329

13 20.00%
  • Used S&W 442 $329

6 9.23%
  • New Ruger LCR $449

8 12.31%
  • New Ruger LCP $279

22 33.85%
  • New S&W Bodyguard 380 $399

2 3.08%
  • New Charter Arms Undercover 38special $330

1 1.54%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which BUG or pocket gun to buy?

I narrowed them down to these. The S&W 442 and 642 also are available used. They both show some wear. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being best), the used 642 is a 7 and the 442 is a 6.

I voted used 642. Read my Allegiance to the Snub post for my explaination.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Isn't there a rule that any poll about a handgun must include some form of glock?

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I voted for the used 642 because if you carry it, it's going to get marks anyway and this one sounds decent. However, If you can get any of these without the lock, then I would do that but if not, I wouldn't obcess over either.

The LCR's seem to be nice guns and I love the trigger which would be the only advantage to having the LCR. Quite frankly I think the LCR is ugly and the LOP is longer than a standard J frame to the extent it bothered me. If might fit you better; especially if you have larger hands/longer fingers.

The LCP is an "okay" remake of the keltec. Had one and it was reliable but if you can manage the 642 in your pockets I think the .38 is a definite cut above any .380. As for black or regular finish, it's only asthetics; you're call!
    Gideon

The only one that doesn't have a lock is the used 442.

Just out of curiousity, why is that preferred over the locked type? I know that I will not use the lock but would it be worth getting the no lock for the same price as the locked but be in worse condition?

I like new guns... especially my 442. Used is fine, but i like the new car small meself. bunker

If I buy used, I will save about $100 or so on the 642. I wonder if that is worth the savings.

Also I saw a mint condition Sig P238 with the Rosewood grips and Nitron finish for $499/ Is this a better option then the ones I listed?

I wasn't expecting the LCP to get this many votes? Is it that good or is the price the real factor.

I voted for the LCR... I have the LCP and several other choices for pocket carry, but day after day I go for my LCR and never regret the choice. The LCP is a excellent little pocket option, but I have more confidence in my LCR to function without fail. It's not a horsepower thing for me, more so a reliability issue with the little pocket autos I have developed as of late. IMO, any of the used revolvers would be a good option too. Good luck with what ever you choose.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Used 442. Save some coin. IMO, the gun most likely to stay in rotation for a lifetime.
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

I voted for the LCP, I have the LCR as well. The LCP is my constant companion, it's just that easy to carry. It is usually in my pocket from the time I get up until the time I go to bed every day. I've had zero problems with it, it's fired everything I've fed it and it is accurate for what it is with the sights it has. I've considered buying a second one.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I don't know why the LCR is so expensive where you are. Here in TN I see them sell for as little as $390. $450 is pretty high.

That being said, I really like my LCR. Carry it everyday at work in my front pocket.

VIP Member
    If you are mostly going to pocket carry, I would go for the 442. I have the 642 and the silver frame tends to show if someone can see in your pocket. The black frame with black handle will melt into the darkness of your pocket and even if someone sees it, the lack of contrasting colors makes it virtually impossible to tell what it is. The 642 is pretty obviously a gun butt.

I don't trust .380s to go bang every time. Some may, many do not. The .38 revolver is simply more reliable.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Just bought a New 642! They had it for $389! I guess S&W just lowered their prices since they are not doing their promos anymore. I also tried out the LCR which was also very nice. The LCR was more money at this shop than the S&W. While the LCR was lighter, it felt thicker and not as nice in my hand as the S&W.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftofMars View Post
    I voted for the LCP, The LCP is my constant companion, it's just that easy to carry. It is usually in my pocket from the time I get up until the time I go to bed every day. I've had zero problems with it, it's fired everything I've fed it and it is accurate for what it is with the sights it has. I've considered buying a second one.
    Exactly. And at $279 that is a steal. It is the gun that goes anywhere and not only will others not notice it, you barely will either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links