Sig Sauer 1911

Sig Sauer 1911

This is a discussion on Sig Sauer 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Big 1911 fan but dont ever hear much about Sigs 1911's. Are they generally regarded like other sigs as reliable/accurate ect.?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig Sauer 1911

Sig Sauer 1911

Big 1911 fan but dont ever hear much about Sigs 1911's. Are they generally regarded like other sigs as reliable/accurate ect.?

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Don't have one but love the looks of them and the feel in the hand. I've wondered about their external extractors. External extractors don't seem to be well thought of in the 1911 community so I wonder if SIG's are reliable.
    Gideon

VIP Member
    I think they also look very nice as well, but in the 1911 community they seem to be a non factor. I can't give a good assessment because I have not shot one.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Administrator
    The original SIG 1911s were not all made by SIG. & some parts like the frame were farmed out.

Now they are reportedly 100% made at SIG on the most modern CNC equipment.

That having been said - I've not shot or studied one of the "all SIG" 1911s.

VIP Member
    I had a Sig 1911 RSC model (commander size). Accuracy was good, and it was 100% reliable for me.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    The one big downside to them is that the external dimensions are not the same as a "normal" 1911, so you will find that standard 1911 holsters will not fit. Many makers have a model for Sig 1911s, but many do not.

The primary problems being the straight angle at the front of the slide above the dust cover, which is ordinarily more scalloped, and the flatter slide top. This makes it unable to sit correctly in holsters formed for the rounded edges.

I bought a new SIG 1911 C3, 4.25 in barrel, a few month ago, because I got a great deal at my LGS. It has turned out to be a reliable and accurate shooter, and is very easy to belt carry.

The GSR or the Revolution? I was looking for another nice 1911 based pistol when I fell for my current P220SAO model. SIG's entry days into the 1911 market were questionable at first. I'm sure things have changed for the better since that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    The GSR or the Revolution? I was looking for another nice 1911 based pistol when I fell for my current P220SAO model. SIG's entry days into the 1911 market were questionable at first. I'm sure things have changed for the better since that time.
    It's the revolution. It has a build date of July, 2010. I also have a loaded SS Springfield Ultra Compact [3.5 in] and a another all steel 1911 with a 3 in barrel. the SIG is lighter because of the alloy frame.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I have one of the post first release Sig GSR 1911's. Accurate, reliable, somewhat heavier than a traditional slide, won't fit most 1911 holsters. I don't carry it, I use it for pin shooting, where it is as accurate as anyone else's 1911. They were more of a deal back then, but they aren't badly priced now.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    My g/f has a second generation GSR Stainless that she has been shooting for several years in IDPA and other competition. It is a wonderfully accurate gun, and she loves shooting it, and has almost 7k rounds through it, but...

The Series 80 firing pin safety fell out, jamming the gun hard and dinging the back of the frame. The factory hammer pivot pin hole was off-axis, meaning the hammer traveled slightly out of true and would have led to premature wear of the fire control group. The thumb safety as designed is very thin up against the frame, and we actually had a problem with the safety getting stuck between the slide and frame and disabling the pistol.

I know there are people who have reliable GSRs, and after appropriate gunsmithing the one my g/f has is, finally, a great gun, but I would not, at this point, buy a GSR as a defensive gun. There are too many better 1911 models out their in comparable price ranges to take the chance.

For what it is worth, the g/f picked up a second 1911 (which is now her primary gun), a used Springfield (Loaded, I think) that went straight to the 'smith. The end result was a gun that has about as much money in it as the GSR, with a lot more customization, and zero issues.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I had a used RCS that shot great at first but Sig had barrel problems with their compact 1911s. I sent mine in to Sig for repair and they never could give me an estimate of when it would be replaced (they could not fix it). I have heard they have fixed the issue with their new guns.

I have a Sig 1911 with 5" barrel and it is very accurate and I have had no issues after about 1000 rounds. I have shot Smiths, Kimbers, Remington and I think Sig is the best value if you can get past the non traditional aspect.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I had an early model Sig c3 1911 & Could not get it to run! Broke (cracked) 2 different barrel bushing that were that MIM crap.
    Tried different magazines sent the darn thing back to Sig twice & still had stovepipes FTF,& about every other jam you can think of!
    Traded it off a couple of years ago & I'm glad I did! To bad to as I really wanted it to work.
    I'm told the early ones did have some "issues" & the new run Is a good pistol. I hope they are but I havent run into any 1911 Sig shooters yet that are raving about there Sig 1911's.
    Hope theres some out there.
    I have a series 70 Colt & a series 80 Colt that run like tops ...always have! I have a Kimber Pro Raptor that is my EDC that also runs well. However the Kimber had all its fire control parts replaced with Ed Brown parts.

Not trying to bash Sig.I'm just saying.....

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    I have never owned a 1911, but every time I see those Sig 1911s sitting in the glass case at my LGS......... I want one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links