Went for a 1911... Left with a glock! !?!?!?

Went for a 1911... Left with a glock! !?!?!?

This is a discussion on Went for a 1911... Left with a glock! !?!?!? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I went down to my LGS who I had spoken with previously about a Rock Island Tactical 1911. To give you some back story, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Went for a 1911... Left with a glock! !?!?!?

Exclamation Went for a 1911... Left with a glock! !?!?!?

So I went down to my LGS who I had spoken with previously about a Rock Island Tactical 1911. To give you some back story, I am a huge fan of steel pistols and my first gun was a 9mm Hi-Power. I decided that any new gun I bought would need to have the same great ergonomics and be about as thin. I had shot a few glocks, but decided long ago that I would never own one because of the fat grip and how poorly they fit my hand. I felt mostly the same about XD's and M&Ps, so I was mainly looking at single stacks. The gun would serve CCW duty, be shot at the range, and accompany me as a backup gun in an upcoming 4 day pistol class.

Went I got there the RIA was gone, so we discussed ordering another one with a salesman. There was a beautiful Colt, but it was pretty far outside of my price range. While this was taking place, my wife was playing with a "dummy" Gen 4 Glock 17 to which she said, "wow, I really like this one. It doesn't feel like the other Glocks". I was intrigued, so the salesman replaced the dummy with a Gen 4 Glock 23 and I was AMAZED at how good it felt. After picking up a Gen 3 G19, I was reminded why I always thought I hated them- thick, fat, and unbalanced (to me). The Gen 4s however felt like a huge improvement! That .2" off the width and thinner back strap made a huge difference. I spent a bit of time with a 3rd gen G36 (never knew they made a single stack but despite not caring about capacity previously, 6+1 just didn't feel right to me for a semi), but ended up leaving with a NIB 4th gen G23 for around $500 out the door. The shop threw in a GSSF membership for free. The gun had factory night sights on it, but I had them taken off (reduced the price tag by $70). Now I am kind of regretting it, but I would prefer an XS big dot over the factory 3 dot anyway.

I just cant believe it. Not only a Glock, but .40 S&W? I am a bit aghast myself. However, we all know that sometimes it just feels "right". I planned on reloading .45 acp, so I suppose reloading .40 is fine (I am aware of the unsupported chamber concerns). I was perfectly happy with 9mm, but I suppose I am going to see what all the fuss is about. I also understand that I can convert the gun to 9mm or .357sig which I wouldn't do for defense, but is just plain cool

Still haven't had a chance to shoot it, but I have been dry firing a lot and practicing getting used to the trigger reset point. I doubt I'll shoot it as well as my BHP, but there is something to be said for the peace of mind of not fearing a breakage. My BHP has 5000+ though it without a hiccup, but I do worry about wear, etc. The Glock, however, I am not afraid to be a little "rough" on

I'll post a range report tomorrow!

*NM

Administrator
    "Went for a 1911... Left with a glock! !?!?!?"

We all have those sporadic, intermittent, days when we're really not thinking correctly or making the wisest of choices or decisions.
    C hawk Glock likes this.

VIP Member
    Very nice purchase. If it fits you and your hand, there is VERY little to dislike about a G23.

And QK, I was going to say that he must have been hit by the "common sense" bus on the way to the store... ;)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Very nice purchase. If it fits you and your hand, there is VERY little to dislike about a G23.

And QK, I was going to say that he must have been hit by the "common sense" bus on the way to the store... ;)

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "Went for a 1911... Left with a glock! !?!?!?"

We all have those sporadic, intermittent, days when we're really not thinking correctly or making the wisest of choices or decisions.
    Well that was kind of it for me, actually.

I decided that I want a 1911 because well... I like them. That was my best argument. Though certainly not a poor one at all, when looking at the situation logically what I wanted was a dead-nuts reliable pistol. I was fine to deal with potential reliability problems in the 1911, but its tough to deny that they would be more likely with the Glock (though not impossible).

My other thought was that, yeah RIA's are good budget 1911s. However, if this pistol is going in the "want" category, I WANT a Colt or a Springfield loaded. Why not save up and buy one of those rather than fill the "utility" category with the 1911? It seems that the Glock fits the utility category better at the same price point.

Seemed like the right call at the time

VIP Member
    Resistance is futile.
    swiftyjuan, GunGeezer and gen3 like this.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

As the owner of a G19 (gen 2) G26 and a G36, welcome to the fold, and start thinking about the next Glock, it will happen.
    GunGeezer likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    It happens. See, all that hoopla and gripping about the Gen 4 grip is a bunch of hoowie. It is better.

As for that reloading the .40 question, I pick up .40 brass all the time (never know when I might buy a gun in that caliber) and have never noticed any unusual bulges in the cases.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Yep, I will just be very careful about checking case specs - more so than 9mm. I'll also stay "middle of the road" as far as loadings.

The more I think about it though, I think im just going to do the 9mm conversion and only shoot .40 to stay proficient with it. Im not sure.. we'll see.

Cool

P01093655.jpg Beauty......... 1964 T-Series......

P26100833.jpg .... and the Beasts ! G-19, G-23 and G-36

Get yourself another Hi-Power and everything will be fine !
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Welcome to the Glock Mania!!! As a former owner of a Gen 2 G23 for 12 years (without one hiccup). And current owner of a Gen 3 G23. I love Them!!!
    I highly recommend Night sights (which ever one you like) Mine has Trijicon. & an extended Slide Release Lever.

I own a 26 and a 19, both Gen 3 flavor. Can't see parting with them welcome to the world of Glock..
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Nice new piece! I just picked up a G21 myself! And honestly, the G23 might be the next Glock I get.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

VIP Member
    Welcome to Glockdom. I have a gen 2 G22 for which I am buying a 9mm Lone Wolf barrel. I do like that flexibility, however, my G21 fits my hand better.
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links