Sig 238

This is a discussion on Sig 238 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After many years of carrying many different guns, in all calibers, indigenous to the USA I have come to the realization that all are effective ...

Thread: Sig 238

Sig 238

After many years of carrying many different guns, in all calibers, indigenous to the USA I have come to the realization that all are effective as long as I remain actively training in my current choice. I have carried most Sig models in 9mm, 40, and 45acp at one time or another in various conditions. I did not give much thought of what I would be carrying on any one day, but since I have purchased a Sig 238 it is with me constantly; I do have many other pistols but.... The quality and accuracy of this firearm leaves nothing to be desired and with the quality of today's defensive ammunition I feel adequately armed for the situations that I may face. I have read and re-read all the arguments based on size and caliber of what others feel is the most effective firearm for them but most discussions do not truly address what level they are trained at and the variables that may arise that their firearm may have to address. I also carry a Sig 239 in 9mm when I am in a non-working environment I do not know why I ended up with Sig as my basic carry guns, but I know they are of good quality, have never failed, balance well, and will take some serious abuse and come up firing. This picture of my 238 is with green micarta (linen) grips, they are a little thicker than the stock grips but fill the hand extremely well. To let the ones who like to argue know I also own Colt, Walther, 3 M&P's, FNP, and a Novak custom Hi Power.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Load the 238 with some Buffalo Bore .380+P. It's a very hot round which beats some .38 special rounds in velocity and energy.

Nice looking Sig 238

I was at the gunstore last week and noticed a couple of these behind the glass counter. They were to busy to attend to me. But after seeing that 238 I really wanted to hold it and check it out. I've told myself that I'm done with the .380 caliber. (not due to stopping power, but for price and availibility reasons) But this is one pistol that I could seriously see myself owning and carrying.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Well tell us how you really feel
    Enjoy it, they are nice. Don't care for a thumb safety on a pocket pistol, or an SA for pocket carry but I have to admit they're a very sharp looking gun and I've heard good things about the reliability. I have a Kahr P380 for discreet pocket carry. Like those grips!
    Gideon

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I miss mine...should have never sold it but mine had spotty reliability that was caused by a poorly designed recoil spring.

Still should have kept it though.

Well, you certainly own some fine, high quality self defense pistols. In all the commonly acceptable defensive calibers, as well.

Yet, you seem to be almost apologetic in the fact that you choose a caliber that more than just a simple majority of defense experts feel is the absolute bare minimum caliber to defend your life with. And for a large percentage of them, not even an adequate defense caliber.

As an example you go out of your way to tout the exceptional quality of the Sig pistol mechanically and it's accuracy but when it comes to the caliber, you make brief mention of quality of ammo and say you are, "adequately armed for the situations that I may face." As if facing death, and the end of your life forever is is just some abstract concept, or something of so little importance that you are fine with using what is considered to be the absolute bare minimum level of stopping power to keep from turning your wife and kids into a widow and orphans. Alone to face the rest of their lives in this hard, cruel, dangerous world without you. Their supposed protector.

It's like you almost know, in the back of your mind that with all the choices you have at your disposal, you probably shouldn't be choosing that particular set up and your primary means of protection. But it sure is small and comfortable to carry, and by golly, you hardly know you are carrying it. And it doesn't make you look fat in those pants.

I'm a gambler too. I enjoy gambling, and I like to think I use due consideration when I make calculated risks. But as an owner of a couple 1911's in .45 ACP, .40 cal Glock, Various 9mm's and .357 magnums... The last thing I'm gonna do is gamble my life away and carry my Ruger LCP as the primary carry gun to stake the rest of my life on. During the moment of truth, in the most absolutely horrible, terrifying, blood curdling moment of sheer unadulterated terror I'll ever face on this earth. The moment when I am seconds away from death... against an armed, and formidable opponent who intents to take my life for the $35 I have in my pocket. The last thing I want to pull out of my pocket is my Ruger LCP. For me, I'm choosing a more appropriate caliber to rely on. Especially since I already own several to choose from. I see more death, crime, and murder victims in the course of my job than any hundred other people will in their entire lifetime. Death is not an abstract concept to me. Yeah, I carry my .380 LCP everyday of my life. But it's a last ditch back up, not the one and only thing I place the whole world on when the chips are down.

And then again, maybe I just read too much into your post. If so, my apologies. The Sig P238 is a sweet little gun. I'd own one too.

YMMV.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

If I had to get by carrying a 380 as a primary carry, I would much prefer it to be something along the lines of the Sig, or a Colt, or a Bersa and the list goes on than one of the micro 380s like the LCP, TCP, DB, Bodyguard. I just shoot the larger 380s so much better. I am more accurate. I am on target quicker. I get off the first shot quicker along with follow up shots.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Well, you certainly own some fine, high quality self defense pistols. In all the commonly acceptable defensive calibers, as well.

Yet, you seem to be almost apologetic in the fact that you choose a caliber that more than just a simple majority of defense experts feel is the absolute bare minimum caliber to defend your life with. And for a large percentage of them, not even an adequate defense caliber.

As an example you go out of your way to tout the exceptional quality of the Sig pistol mechanically and it's accuracy but when it comes to the caliber, you make brief mention of quality of ammo and say you are, "adequately armed for the situations that I may face." As if facing death, and the end of your life forever is is just some abstract concept, or something of so little importance that you are fine with using what is considered to be the absolute bare minimum level of stopping power to keep from turning your wife and kids into a widow and orphans. Alone to face the rest of their lives in this hard, cruel, dangerous world without you. Their supposed protector.

It's like you almost know, in the back of your mind that with all the choices you have at your disposal, you probably shouldn't be choosing that particular set up and your primary means of protection. But it sure is small and comfortable to carry, and by golly, you hardly know you are carrying it. And it doesn't make you look fat in those pants.

I'm a gambler too. I enjoy gambling, and I like to think I use due consideration when I make calculated risks. But as an owner of a couple 1911's in .45 ACP, .40 cal Glock, Various 9mm's and .357 magnums... The last thing I'm gonna do is gamble my life away and carry my Ruger LCP as the primary carry gun to stake the rest of my life on. During the moment of truth, in the most absolutely horrible, terrifying, blood curdling moment of sheer unadulterated terror I'll ever face on this earth. The moment when I am seconds away from death... against an armed, and formidable opponent who intents to take my life for the $35 I have in my pocket. The last thing I want to pull out of my pocket is my Ruger LCP. For me, I'm choosing a more appropriate caliber to rely on. Especially since I already own several to choose from. I see more death, crime, and murder victims in the course of my job than any hundred other people will in their entire lifetime. Death is not an abstract concept to me. Yeah, I carry my .380 LCP everyday of my life. But it's a last ditch back up, not the one and only thing I place the whole world on when the chips are down.

And then again, maybe I just read too much into your post. If so, my apologies. The Sig P238 is a sweet little gun. I'd own one too.

YMMV.
    Gees thanks for talking me out of one...lol. I hear you man. I want one as a back up. I too carry 1911's, and I feel real comforted knowing I got some .45 Ranger T's to send at a threat. I'd like to have one because, of the pocket pistols, it seems the most familar as it's like a shrunkin 1911. I would primary carry it when at the kiddies soccer matches, baseball games, and gym to get me back to my car. The thing is a good snubbie is cheaper. hard to justify but I think I'll just get it anyway some day..lol.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    I miss mine...should have never sold it but mine had spotty reliability that was caused by a poorly designed recoil spring.

Still should have kept it though.
    I'm sure the price went up since then...lol. I should have gotten one last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Giffordd View Post
    After many years of carrying many different guns, in all calibers, indigenous to the USA I have come to the realization that all are effective as long as I remain actively training in my current choice. I have carried most Sig models in 9mm, 40, and 45acp at one time or another in various conditions. I did not give much thought of what I would be carrying on any one day, but since I have purchased a Sig 238 it is with me constantly; I do have many other pistols but.... The quality and accuracy of this firearm leaves nothing to be desired and with the quality of today's defensive ammunition I feel adequately armed for the situations that I may face. I have read and re-read all the arguments based on size and caliber of what others feel is the most effective firearm for them but most discussions do not truly address what level they are trained at and the variables that may arise that their firearm may have to address. I also carry a Sig 239 in 9mm when I am in a non-working environment I do not know why I ended up with Sig as my basic carry guns, but I know they are of good quality, have never failed, balance well, and will take some serious abuse and come up firing. This picture of my 238 is with green micarta (linen) grips, they are a little thicker than the stock grips but fill the hand extremely well. To let the ones who like to argue know I also own Colt, Walther, 3 M&P's, FNP, and a Novak custom Hi Power.
    I like it.

VIP Member
    The 238 is a nice gun. I parted with mine - it just would not reliably function. Nice design though.

Love my 238. Only pistol I carry, though I own a SIG 229 in 357 SIG, an FN FiveseveN and three 1911s of full and Cdr size made by Ed Brown and Wilson Combat. Best gun is the one you carry and I'm simply not going to alter my dress enough to make 1911 carry realistic. To each his own. Lived 50 years w/o carrying so a 380 feels pretty good. Even then, I pay attention to where I go and when. The odds must be 1 in a million of ever having to draw it. I'll rely on training and firing multiple shots as I'd rather focus on that than the milli-second "Ah ****, I shouldn't have left the 1911 home today. Of course, this isn't a new philosophy. In fact I probably read it here. Just makes sense to me and probably the millions of people making 380s VERY big sellers this year.

Links