Snubbie. Gettin' the itch.

This is a discussion on Snubbie. Gettin' the itch. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am trying to tell myself that I don't need another gun, I just bought three last year and kept two, but I used to ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Snubbie. Gettin' the itch.

Snubbie. Gettin' the itch.

I am trying to tell myself that I don't need another gun, I just bought three last year and kept two, but I used to have a snub nose and I am seriously getting the itch to visit my LGS and see what he has.
    I have always been fond of Rugers. They just fit me. I'm not opposed to Smiths or another quality pistol. I am not opposed to buying used either. Especially if it will get me into a "better" gun, but I really don't know what makes one snubbie better than another. Five or six round capacity... six is better I suppose. 38 or 357... it's always nice to have the option of loading it with 357. Probably not an EDC, but you never know, so I'd like it reasonabley small. If it does have a hammer spur it's coming off. And I realize the LCR is very popular, but it just doesn't grab me in the looks dept. The price is sure right though. Didn't I read something about a speed loading issue though?

So what can you tell me? Maybe not what to get, but is there anything to avoid? Then I can narrow down my search to what feels good in my hand and has a good action.

2. Remove Ads

The first S&W Bodyguard we had in the gunshop where I work was badly out of time before the first 50 rounds were fired. I just bought a Model 40 in nickel along with a polished Tyler T grip and I love it. Looks as good as it shoots. We have about a dozen used snubs in the shop (after Christmas sales and lost pawns) I'm sure you could find a wide selection just about everywhere.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

VIP Member
    It’s hard to go wrong with S&W or a Ruger Snub. Granted, there are some other brands and models that work just as well. Since you already stated you don’t want a hammer spur and you prefer .38/357, I would suggest a steel variant. To this end I would look at the S&W 640, 649 or the Ruger SP 101, bobbed trigger version (Model 5720). Conversely, if you want a six-round option then you're stepping into a considerably larger frame.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y
    http://www.ruger.com/products/sp101/models.html

Regards,
    Dan
    Last edited by Saber; January 6th, 2011 at 11:58 AM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I'm not sure I understand where the huge price jump is coming from. A 640 is $729 and a 642 is $469. I see the slight differences in material used, but are the actions basically the same? Is there something other than being SS that makes the 640 that much higher priced?

The Ruger LCR .357 is the finest revolver I have ever owned. I have 1200 rounds through mine now. 500 of that .357 and another 250 38 +P ..... best trigger on a revolver bar none. Light, manageable recoil, and a great price point. I carry it every day in some harsh conditions and it is reliable as all get out. I have some videos of me working it out one handed and on the move if you are interested. PM me.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I'm not sure I understand where the huge price jump is coming from. A 640 is $729 and a 642 is $469. I see the slight differences in material used, but are the actions basically the same? Is there something other than being SS that makes the 640 that much higher priced?
    The MSRP is seldom what they go for but that's the way it goes. I bought one about a year ago and it cost me $629. In my view, the whole supply and demand thing is what really drives the price on the 'new' guns. I'm sure you can find one used for around $550 or so.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Cool

Scratch that itch son !

P19170917.jpg

P18174701.jpg
    Last edited by Old School; January 6th, 2011 at 01:31 PM.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Any snubbie that has "Ruger" in the name will be good.
    I prefer the SP101 in .357, but that is just my opinion.
    The GP100 six shot is also very good but bigger.
    I also prefer stainless.
    I suppressed the itch for quite a few years but bought four in the last year (scratch, scratch......)
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    Yeah, My old CCW 9 MM is nicknamed "Barkey"
    New CCW LCP is "Elsie"
    and my 12 Ga S x S Coach gun is "Boomer"
    Wife's weapon is "Miss Pearl" (SP101 .357 w/mother of pearl inserts)
    We're old so we can get away with that.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rglyons View Post
    Any snubbie that has "Ruger" in the name will be good.
    I prefer the SP101 in .357, but that is just my opinion.
    The GP100 six shot is also very good but bigger.
    I also prefer stainless.
    I suppressed the itch for quite a few years but bought four in the last year (scratch, scratch......)
    If I were to buy another snub (and I will) it may well be the Ruger SP101 model 5720. On the other hand I like the 640 so well that I may buy another one. The one I have is effectively reclassified as a baking gun. It spends more time away in some oven being modified than it does in actual use. I’d a like another one for the range with only a 'few' enhancements.

Sidebar: On the preference of steel, I would love to see a carbon steel version of the 640 or the Ruger SP101.
    Last edited by Saber; January 6th, 2011 at 01:17 PM.
    ~ Stephen King

I can very well see me leaving with a snub that begins and ends in R, but I'm so happy with these M&Ps that I want to give S&W an honest shake. S&W has so many models though, that it is a bit perplexing to someone who hasn't owned a wheel gun in too long a time. And never a S&W.

I appreciate the offer AZchevy. Let me digest some info first and get a few guns in my hand.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    A LCR may be a nice weapon. Just remember that a 642 and all of it's brothers is the gold standard of snubs.

Scratch my friend...scratch hard.

I think the the Ruger-S&W debate depends completely on ergonomics. Steel vs other material though, I think you'll enjoy steel more. I am a huge fan of my S&W 640 (.357Mag). I like working on it myself and the trigger is now pretty tough to beat. The Ruger SP101-5720 is another one I'd look into though; I don't like their trigger as well but it also depends on the amount/if any smithing will be done. My other snubbie is a 642 (.38 only) but if I could only have one it would be the 640. I agree with you, my opnion is that a hammer doesn't belong on a snub like this either if it's going in a pocket ever. I've looked into getting a scandium frame M&P but I come back to steel because the heavier frame is more fun/pleasant to shoot at the range so I practice with it more. I like pinned front sights so I can change sights to whatever works best for me. I also prefer the cyclinder release of the S&W better but that's a personal note and you may very well prefer the other - it might even be the deciding factor between the two because the rest I think can be made close to equal. My crystal ball shows you with with either a 640 or SP101-5720 though.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I think that everyone should at least own one snub nose revolver so go ahead and scratch that itch with a Ruger SP-101 .357 Magnum revolver with a 2.25" barrel or if you want one for pocket carry, then buy yourself a Smith & Wesson 642/442 in .38+P or a 640/340PD in .357 Magnum.
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

My crystal ball was telling me to find a gun shop with both an LCR and a 642... lol

I've read a lot of debating between these two snubbies today. I wish there was a place I can shoot both, as I've been reading the LCR shoots nicer out of the box due to the Pogue grips. And has a nicer trigger. And the Smith is thinner, easier to conceal, and overall just looks better. And like you said jtmoose, is the standard the others are judged against. It's like reading a Glock v M&P thread... Sure wish I could squeeze a couple rounds out of each.
    And I'm leaning more towards +P rather than 357 capability now.

I think so too alachner. Wish I still had my Agent, but a new snub will have to do.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links