Does anyone else love this caliber

This is a discussion on Does anyone else love this caliber within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have used 22 mags just about all my life. Great round. It will kill anything with the right shot placement. I allso cc anything ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else love this caliber

Does anyone else love this caliber

I have used 22 mags just about all my life. Great round. It will kill anything with the right shot placement. I allso cc anything from 1911 to glocks. But i never leave home without my naa 22mag pug in my front pocket loaded with hornady ballistic tips. From 0 to 7 yards 5 shots 4 inch circle. Does anyone share my love for this round.

2. Remove Ads

Big fan!!! Carry the double pop BUG 22mag in my rt pockett

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    22 mag is a great round! Best super small pocket gun you can get! 360ftlbs of K.E. thats impressive
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I use it to hunt rabbit and squirrel but wouldn't even consider it for self defense.

I don't have a .22 mag handgun as yet but my Marlin .22 mag rifle with a varmint tip is the gun of choice for ground hogs, prairie dogs and coyotes. I've never met a coyote it couldn't stop with proper shot placement. For squirrel and rabbit, my Marlin .22 LR Rifle w/solid point cartridges also does the trick for them.

I have been thinking about a .22 Mag Derringer for a BUG.
    Yeah, My old CCW 9 MM is nicknamed "Barkey"
    New CCW LCP is "Elsie"
    and my 12 Ga S x S Coach gun is "Boomer"
    Wife's weapon is "Miss Pearl" (SP101 .357 w/mother of pearl inserts)
    We're old so we can get away with that.

My dad has had both a .22 Magnum and revolver for many years. I grew up with them around the house. I didn't use to have much use for the round despite the fact that it gave really good performance in the field. I once shot a marauding coyote at around 100 yards that was making off with a duck from off of my parents stock tank. The bullet entered just left of the root of his tail and exited the front of his chest. Through and through it was and it settled his hash. That's just one example. I've seen good performance on largish Texas critters and varmints with it over the years. Despite the good terminal performance I thought it was noisy, inaccurate, and expensive. I was trying to constrain it to compare with .22 Long Rifle.

After the .17 rim fire cartridges came out I reappraised the .22 Magnum which began to make a lot of sense when compared to the .17s. Now I wish I had both a quality .22 Magnum rifle and revolver. A Winchester Model 61 and a Smith & Wesson Model 48 would be just the thing.

I've done some extensive chronograph tests with the .22 Magnum and its rather impressive rifle performance absolutely won't happen in a derringer type handgun. It is really pretty paltry. It is very loud though.

From a 4-inch Colt New Frontier revolver, the 40 grain .22 Magnum slug gens up about the same velocity as most common 40 grain high velocity .22 long rifle cartridges do when fired in a rifle, or about 1150-1200 fps. From a High-Standard derringer one can subtract 100-150 fps. The derringer performance will yield about 100-125 ft./lbs. of energy at the muzzle. Better than flinging mud from the end of a stick but not something I'd want to fight with.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    And to think that people believe a .380 is underpowered....

VIP Member
    Not the mag, although I have considered the S&W Model-317 revolver with .22-longs (x8) as a summer carry. We get up to 118-degrees in July-August and the 10.8 ounce gun has quite the appeal in those months.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Love the 22 mag. I have the S&W 22 mag and a Ruger 22 mag as well. Lots of fun and great to practice drills and trigger control yet still a little flash. I ccw my S&W often when I don't feel like carrying my full size 1911. I also recently saw an ad for a keltech 22 mag 1911 style pistol. Polymer and 30 rounds. Now that might be a lot of fun!
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Not the mag, although I have considered the S&W Model-317 revolver with .22-longs (x8) as a summer carry. We get up to 118-degrees in July-August and the 10.8 ounce gun has quite the appeal in those months.
    My M&P 340 is only 13 oz...and thats .357.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

22 mag is what we used on the farm for many years for butchering cows and hogs one shot every time did the trick. I have the gun we used got it after grandfather passed a 22 mag Colt New Frontier.

I like .22 mag, but think I'll stick to my LCP for pocket carry.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

I have been wanting a Marlin 982vs .22 Mag for a little while now, and this thread makes me want one even more. I saw the previous model (882 I think) for sale for $200 with a scope, but I hesitated and was sold by the time I made up my miind :-(
    http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firear...gnum/982VS.asp

Both Mas and I believe Cooper had high regards for the destructive power of this little caliber. Mas tested and carried the Taurus 841 and I always liked the idea of a high cap revolver in.22 mag, so when I saw the S&W 7 shot I "Had to have it"!! Love it, a joy to shoot and carry, and lets face it,a double tat to the thoractic triangle with either a .380 or .22 mag is gonna put a damper on the recipients plans for the day... The Single Six with the mag cylinder is very accurate!!! Awesome caliber!! .02 cents
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

I have a NAA 1 5/8th's combo .22lr/.22mag mini revolver. Like you I never leave home without it. I use CCI mini mag's and Winchester Supreme ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links