Defensive Carry banner

Question about 3rd party gun sales...

5K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  gbball98 
#1 ·
Hey, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I wasn't sure where I needed to post it. I live in Kentucky and am wanting to sell one of my firearms to a friend. What process do I need to follow? I've been looking around online, I may just be looking in the wrong places, but I haven't been able to find anywhere what I need to do.

#2 ·
Not sure about Kentucky though by and large, no paper trails are required for 'direct' person-to-person sales. Either way, I would have the buyer sign a ‘Bill of Sale’ just to cover your tail.

#4 ·
http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/237-00/CHAPTER.HTM

The Kentucky Revised statutes, already at the section on firearms. I bet the information you seek is somewhere within those web pages.

There are too many variables in your question to give you a 100% correct answer.

#5 ·
xdavex,

It is my understanding that in Kentucky it is legal to buy sell or trade FTF without paper work as long as both parties are Kentucky residents. If the party you are selling to lives out of state or you know he is taking the gun out of state it is required to transfer the weapon through a firearms dealer failure to do so is a federal offense.

I have made several transactions FTF here in Kentucky and I always require to visually check their drivers lic. or their CCW permit or there is no deal. Requirement for receipts is up to you.

#10 ·
I am by no means a lawyer, but would also include date and time of purchase and original condition of said firearm at time of purchase in the bill of sale. Two copies, one for you and one for purchaser. Just because I am sad to say we have become such a litigious society. The time of business done with a handshake has gone the way of the do-do bird.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.