Pickin' a SIG

This is a discussion on Pickin' a SIG within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The 228/9 is the best overall of your two choices for weight vs capacity. I have the p228 and it is a dream,,,,just hit GB ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pickin' a SIG

The 228/9 is the best overall of your two choices for weight vs capacity. I have the p228 and it is a dream,,,,just hit GB their are plenty for sale there. You wont regret it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

2. Remove Ads

I have carried a 239 in 9mm for the past 1.5 years. I really like the way it shoots and carries. My fingers are short so it fits in my hand better than the 229 I'd like to buy next. I wish I would have bought the 239 in .40 so I could then buy a 9mm barrel and have both.

I'd say buy which ever gun feels the best in your hand. They will both pretty much conceal the same.

VIP Member
    If your hands are a little small for the "classic" Sigs, try the E2 version, they have grips that are smaller front to back.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member
    You can also go for a single stack model like a 225 (9mm) or a 220 Carry or Compact (.45).

VIP Member
    True, but for those who want double stack guns, the E2 is a terriffic option.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Do you want to carry a single stack or double stack??
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    Planning on a SIG for my big 4-oh. I am torn between the Sig 229 SAS II Gen or the Sig 239 SAS II Gen. I see that there is just 2.5 ounces difference between the two, but the 229 has more rounds. I'm really curious as to what the advantage of the SRT trigger is? Input and advice is encouraged.
    Before you spend a lot of time on the trigger types, you might want to handle these first. The P229 is double stack (as are the vast majority) while the P239 is single stack. The feel relative to your hand could be quite different. I have a small hand and prefer the P239.

If you're willing to look a bit older I just today picked up a sig p6. It's my first sig and I am very happy with it. JG sales has them available for $330, so I feel they are a great deal.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Try to shoot, or at least dry-fire, a P239 before buying! The combination of a narrow grip and long double-action stroke, that ends amazing far back, does not suit many folks. I do not have long fingers, yet I much prefer the P229/P226-sized pistols. I can conceal a P229 quite well enough on my slim frame.

I cannot address the SRT, as that is a system for DA/SA SIGs, and my preferred trigger system is the DAK, a form of double-action-only. I can shoot single-action just fine, and in the past carried DA/SA pistols, managing the DA-to-SA transition, but prefer just one trigger pull. (I do have a couple of pre-SRT DA/SA P229 pistols, with which I occasionally practice DA-to-SA, so the skill does not totally perish.)

Distinguished Member
    A Sig is definitely on my short list. But the only model I'm interested in is the 220 Carry SAO. It's about as close to a 1911 as you can get in a "modern" pistol (SA is important to me, and 45ACP is my defensive round of choice).

P229 sas

I just got a P229 SAS.
    I did not consider any of the DAK guns, just my preference.
    My first Sig, I love it.

Can tell you this.....I bought this one several years ago with the DAK trigger, that is smooth as hot butter....

Liked it so well...I bought this one....with same trigger

Then this little guy....

Plan on getting the P290 for sure as soon as someone tells me who has it.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    i got a 229 and love it when not carrying my glock
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links