Pickin' a SIG

Pickin' a SIG

This is a discussion on Pickin' a SIG within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Planning on a SIG for my big 4-oh. I am torn between the Sig 229 SAS II Gen or the Sig 239 SAS II Gen. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pickin' a SIG

Pickin' a SIG

Planning on a SIG for my big 4-oh. I am torn between the Sig 229 SAS II Gen or the Sig 239 SAS II Gen. I see that there is just 2.5 ounces difference between the two, but the 229 has more rounds. I'm really curious as to what the advantage of the SRT trigger is? Input and advice is encouraged.

Just read the sticky on different types of trigger pull. Maybe I should take the dak action into consideration after reading the aforementioned sticky.

I picked up a p220 compact Sas gen2 with srt trigger. I absolutly love it.
    Today we need a nation of Minute Men citizens who are not only
    prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of
    freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life. J.F.K.

Oh my lord... Don't even get me started about which Sig. I've been tormenting myself the last two years trying to make a decision on which one I want. And at this point, I find myself wanting to wait and see what the new Sig P290 is going to be like.

At this point, I still don't even know which caliber I want. Do I want a 9mm or .40 cal? I've been debating going back to the .45 acp, so do I want my first Sig to be in that caliber? I can tell you, I'm of absolutely no help to you other than I'll likely get the SRT trigger if it's available on whichever model I decide to go with.

I do not envy your dilemma. Good luck!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member
    I think a 229 (or 228) is a better all around gun so that would be my choice. But then again I'm biased. ;) SRT is the Short Reset Trigger which has a quicker reset over the standard trigger in SA mode. Not to be confused with the short or narrow trigger which reduces the reach to the trigger but doesn't change it's pull.

SIG 228? Please give description and where to find them?

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    SRT is the Short Reset Trigger which has a quicker reset over the standard trigger in SA mode. Not to be confused with the short or narrow trigger which reduces the reach to the trigger but doesn't change it's pull.
    Yes, and if I'm not mistaken, some models have both features available. Which is what I would like most.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    SIG 228? Please give description and where to find them?
    It's essentially the predecessor to the 229. 9mm only, stamped steel slide instead of the 229 machined stainless. You can find some new ones online as SIG did a final run of them a couple of years ago (I have a 228R from 09) but most of what you see will be older German made used pistols which can usually be found at a good price.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Yes, and if I'm not mistaken, some models have both features available. Which is what I would like most.
    Yes some models do. But you can always add (or remove), with few exceptions, either to most pistols if they don't come that way. I haven't added SRT but it's super easy to swap the trigger.

SIG advertises the SRT if it comes on a particular model but which trigger profile you get can be hit or miss, the photo on the website may not be accurate. For instance the photos on SIGs website for the 220 Cary Dark Elite show the standard trigger but all the ones I've seen photos of in the wild have the short/narrow profile trigger on them.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Just by a P229 in 357 sig or .40 . Then let the signess take over, and it will. Nobody can own just one Sig.
    Then you can get the opposite
    barrel. Then you can get a after-
    market 9mm barrel...

If I did not have a older Sig P226 the P229 would win for me. I have added the SRT and it makes a substancial difference especially if you plan on any action pistol sports.

VIP Member
    Of the two you mentioned, I'd opt for the P229. Very little weight difference, higher round count (+5) and longer sight radius. I'm more accurate with the P229, partially due to .5" longer sight radius, partially due to the slightly longer grip.

If I were you, I'd not forget to check out the P220, you won't regret it.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Get the 229. I have a 228, which someone already mentioned is it's predacessor. Mine has 15K+ rounds through it without a hickup. Litterally the one and only issue it ever had was caused by a faulty after-market mag. Tossed the mag, and no other problems.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

I carry a 229 everyday in 9mm and I am VERY impressed with everything about the 229. It shoots well, handles well, conceals well, and the reliability of Sig speaks for itself. Don't know what else you could ask for?

Though I carry a 229 on duty I carry a 220 off duty. Now that's one smooth machine!

When I was looking to purchase my first handgun I seriously wanted a P229. But found that the grip was just a little to thick for my comfort. I'd deffinatly check it out if you have med-small hands. Both are great guns from what I hear.

As sigmanluke mentiones the P220's are nice shooting guns as well. But will be a little bigger than a 229 or 239 for concealed carry.

Let us know what you end up with?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links