Defensive Carry banner

Ruger LCR 1200 Rounds and counting..... long term review

55K views 49 replies 27 participants last post by  zacii 
#1 ·
I went out and ran another 50 rounds of magnum through the LCR the other day. I now have a grand total of approximately 1200 rounds through it.

My round count ( which may be off + or -50) is as follows:

550 .357 Magnum rounds 100 158gr wadcutters, the rest 125grain mix of jhp, jsp, shp, fmj

250 38 special +p 158gr wadcutter

400 .38 special 130gr FMJ

I am getting it MPI tested next week on Tuesday just to see if there has been any issues with it because I have a friend who runs a machine and can do it for free for me. I will report back in this thread when it is complete an update on the findings if any.

Notes:

No abnormal wear. The gap is still the same as it was when I measured it new so no evident frame stretch. ( if there is another measurement I need to be taking please let me know... too late now I guess) All wear is normal for a revolver. The forcing cone is still in great shape with no deformities or issues.

I have had zero malfunctions and zero issues with it, no bullets have jumped the crimp. I have been practicing double tapping two targets and leaving the 5th cartridge in the weapon so I can inspect it for any crimp jumps when i shoot the magnum rounds. None has been evident.

No flame cutting or cylinder lockups. It has been running like a champ.

Also, my hand does not hurt after 50-100 magnum rounds, it just doesnt. The weapon is smooth, gets good groupings one handed on the move while point shooting, and the trigger is like butter now.... the only thing to remember is to fully release it to prevent short stroking, but training will ingrain that.

Another point, I may have used the sights maybe a total of 50 rounds on this weapon, everything else has been trained with one handed shooting on the move, point shooting at the target, I never line the top of the weapon up or even focus on it while shooting, I always focus on the target and surroundings, I have made the weapon an extension of my hand.

I now have three videos up on you tube regarding this, you can PM me for the links if you like, I don't post them here or any other forums because for some reason when I do I get massive amounts of spam requests to my account. Go figure.

This and my g29 are my favorite and goto weapons. I have never loved a revolver more than this ugly little monster.

Here are some wear photos from my last session before cleaning.....

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like you've done some hard, extensive testing. The MPI results will be interesting. If nothing shows up after this many rounds, it unlikely it will later (well, maybe much later).

#3 ·
I am debating what to do next. If the MPI test is good: continue to work it until failure to see how tough it really is and buy another for carry or retiring it from my long term test and just carry it because it has proven itself and use my other revolvers to train. Again please note this is the STAINLESS .357 model not the ALUMINUM .38+P model. I just want to make sure people know this.

#6 ·
There are a few great instructors on this board. QkShooter and SweatnBullets are two people I would HIGHLY recommend when it comes to force on force and point shooting. My avatar shows me dressed for a hand to hand AK FOF session I did with some friends. FOF is an eye opener and PSP expands on that reaction :)

#7 ·
I really like this weapon...now with the release of the LC9 I am going to have some difficulty in choosing. 8 rounds of 9m versus 5 of .357.....mmmmmm. Choices are a wonderful thing.

#9 ·
I already tore it apart. Twice. Simple as pie. I subscribe to American Gunsmith and they had a lengthy article and detailed strip procedure in it that was very helpful. The pin in question is the hammer pivot pin and needs to be cleaned and lubed.

#12 ·
Thanks for the nice report. Glad to see it is holding up well. Ruger allways has made durable firearms.

#43 ·
My frame is stainless so no, but I did hear they put them on the aluminum frame 38 models, someone who owns one will have to confirm.
I bought my 38 LCR just before Ruger announced the 357 model. :frown:

It does not have an insert at the top strap. I only have about 500 rounds through it so far (I don't get to shoot much), but haven't seen any sign of wear. All in all I like it very much but would probably be very tempted to get the 357 if buying today. Thanks for your review.

#16 ·
I primarily carry in a high noon Mr. softy AIWB and it works great drawing and shooting on the move, I did pocket carry for a time in a desantis nemesis but I determined that unless I knew the threat was coming and had my hand fingering the weapon and was ready to draw, you can only do one of two things: move from the threat and have a hard time getting the weapon out.... or stand still like a good target and draw the weapon..... so with that in mind I ONLY carry pocket if I absolutely must. But to answer your question, yes I pocket carry it with great success. I may purchase the boot grip option from Ruger to see if it cuts down on the pocket space however but I have abandoned pocket carry as a viable alternative in thecase I am attacked out in public and need to move and shoot.

#17 ·
Excellent!

I enjoy reading informative reviews with pictures.

I've seen your videos, too. Good stuff :hand10:

#19 ·
I am glad to hear that the LCR is holding up over the long haul. I am looking into getting one of these as my first carry gun. I was trying to make the choice between the 38 and 357 version. Your review helped me decide on the 357 for sure.

If you would not mind PMing me the link to your youtube videos I would love to see your shooting style. As you stated, I believe a carry gun should work as an extension of your body. I have handled this gun a few times at the store and I can see how using the sights could take some valuable time during a threatening situation.

Thanks for the great review!

#20 ·
Thanks, PM sent. Even if I were intending on shooting .38 exclusively I probably would still go with the 17 oz SS .357 version over the aluminum frame 13oz 38+p version for versatility and strength. The weight difference is negligible and the size is the same.

#30 ·
I really feel no difference with the steel j-frame, as a matter of fact I think the frame design Ruger introduced is the reason why. Remember, the LCR .357 is a stainless steel frame. It is heads and shoulders better than a scandium airweight.

#36 ·
It's good to know that I can look forward to a long lasting and well built firearm. That's one thing I had heard before I bought my LCR in .38. I read a couple of reviews on the net saying they didn't hold up well under heavy use.

Thanks for taking the time to post your results and opinion. :bier:

#37 ·
Very good report! Thank you for posting it.

I am a poor revolver shot but my wife is an excellent shot with a revolver and she really wants one of these. So, this may have just gone on the "to get" list as long as she likes the way it feels in her hand. We will have to make a trip to the gun shop so she can hold one....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.