Ruger LCR 1200 Rounds and counting..... long term review

This is a discussion on Ruger LCR 1200 Rounds and counting..... long term review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went out and ran another 50 rounds of magnum through the LCR the other day. I now have a grand total of approximately 1200 ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR 1200 Rounds and counting..... long term review

I went out and ran another 50 rounds of magnum through the LCR the other day. I now have a grand total of approximately 1200 rounds through it.

My round count ( which may be off + or -50) is as follows:

550 .357 Magnum rounds 100 158gr wadcutters, the rest 125grain mix of jhp, jsp, shp, fmj

250 38 special +p 158gr wadcutter

400 .38 special 130gr FMJ

I am getting it MPI tested next week on Tuesday just to see if there has been any issues with it because I have a friend who runs a machine and can do it for free for me. I will report back in this thread when it is complete an update on the findings if any.

Notes:

No abnormal wear. The gap is still the same as it was when I measured it new so no evident frame stretch. ( if there is another measurement I need to be taking please let me know... too late now I guess) All wear is normal for a revolver. The forcing cone is still in great shape with no deformities or issues.

I have had zero malfunctions and zero issues with it, no bullets have jumped the crimp. I have been practicing double tapping two targets and leaving the 5th cartridge in the weapon so I can inspect it for any crimp jumps when i shoot the magnum rounds. None has been evident.

No flame cutting or cylinder lockups. It has been running like a champ.

Also, my hand does not hurt after 50-100 magnum rounds, it just doesnt. The weapon is smooth, gets good groupings one handed on the move while point shooting, and the trigger is like butter now.... the only thing to remember is to fully release it to prevent short stroking, but training will ingrain that.

Another point, I may have used the sights maybe a total of 50 rounds on this weapon, everything else has been trained with one handed shooting on the move, point shooting at the target, I never line the top of the weapon up or even focus on it while shooting, I always focus on the target and surroundings, I have made the weapon an extension of my hand.

I now have three videos up on you tube regarding this, you can PM me for the links if you like, I don't post them here or any other forums because for some reason when I do I get massive amounts of spam requests to my account. Go figure.

This and my g29 are my favorite and goto weapons. I have never loved a revolver more than this ugly little monster.

Here are some wear photos from my last session before cleaning.....
    Attached Images

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Sounds like you've done some hard, extensive testing. The MPI results will be interesting. If nothing shows up after this many rounds, it unlikely it will later (well, maybe much later).
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I am debating what to do next. If the MPI test is good: continue to work it until failure to see how tough it really is and buy another for carry or retiring it from my long term test and just carry it because it has proven itself and use my other revolvers to train. Again please note this is the STAINLESS .357 model not the ALUMINUM .38+P model. I just want to make sure people know this.

OK,now that you have wore it out send it to me...Good report..Stay Safe..J.H.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I wish you lived near me so you could teach me how to be a better shot with mine. I have a .38 LCR and I have to admit that it's a real challenge to shoot it effectively. I've only been shooting for a year now though. I've come a long way I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    I wish you lived near me so you could teach me how to be a better shot with mine. I have a .38 LCR and I have to admit that it's a real challenge to shoot it effectively. I've only been shooting for a year now though. I've come a long way I suppose.
    There are a few great instructors on this board. QkShooter and SweatnBullets are two people I would HIGHLY recommend when it comes to force on force and point shooting. My avatar shows me dressed for a hand to hand AK FOF session I did with some friends. FOF is an eye opener and PSP expands on that reaction :)

I really like this weapon...now with the release of the LC9 I am going to have some difficulty in choosing. 8 rounds of 9m versus 5 of .357.....mmmmmm. Choices are a wonderful thing.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

do you plan on doing the Ruger recommended detail strip? I think my LCR says to take some pin out at 1000 rounds.

do you plan on doing the Ruger recommended detail strip? I think my LCR says to take some pin out at 1000 rounds.
    I already tore it apart. Twice. Simple as pie. I subscribe to American Gunsmith and they had a lengthy article and detailed strip procedure in it that was very helpful. The pin in question is the hammer pivot pin and needs to be cleaned and lubed.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I already tore it apart. Twice. Simple as pie. I subscribe to American Gunsmith and they had a lengthy article and detailed strip procedure in it that was very helpful. The pin in question is the hammer pivot pin and needs to be cleaned and lubed.
    so just how dirty was it? And thanks for this thread BTW. I always enjoy reading about your LCR.

so just how dirty was it? And thanks for this thread BTW. I always enjoy reading about your LCR.
    It wasn't dirty at all. I carry it daily, unless I go out remote then I switch to the G29, an dthat gets a lot of dirt in it due to the desert conditions especially when I am on the rhino. I get more lint I have to blow out of it with canned air than anything else but the inside was pretty clean as was the hammer. As it is my carry piece I usually blow it out with canned air to get dirt and lint out of it once a week. I have to say out of all the revolvers and handguns I have owned, this one is one of my favorites, I like being able to go lightweight with everything from my multi tool to my flashlight and this fits the bill perfectly.

Thanks for the nice report. Glad to see it is holding up well. Ruger allways has made durable firearms.

Ex Member
    Question: Does the LCR use a steel insert on the top strap to protect from flame cutting, like the S&W Scandiums do?

My frame is stainless so no, but I did hear they put them on the aluminum frame 38 models, someone who owns one will have to confirm.

Awesome thread!! Thanks!

I have been trying to decide between the 38 and 357 models. You may of helped me make up my mind. Do you pocket carry it at all?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links