Wilson vs. Nighthawk vs. Baer

This is a discussion on Wilson vs. Nighthawk vs. Baer within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm considering an officer's size 1911. Any thoughts on the above mentioned shops? Thanks....

Thread: Wilson vs. Nighthawk vs. Baer

Wilson vs. Nighthawk vs. Baer

I'm considering an officer's size 1911. Any thoughts on the above mentioned shops? Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I always thought it i bought a custom i would buy a Baer in a officers size i would have to research again but just guessing i would go with baer or nighthawk

Do any of those shops even make an officer size 1911? I didn't think any of the major custom manufacturers went under a 4" w/ full size frame.

Okay I was wrong. I see Nighthawk and Wilson both make guns w/ 4.25" bbl and officer size frames. I like Nighthawk. But you couldn't go wrong with either.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I'd go with Wilson.....
    All mentioned are top quality pistols though...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Quote Originally Posted by yellowv
    Do any of those shops even make an officer size 1911? I didn't think any of the major custom manufacturers went under a 4" w/ full size frame.
    I think WILSON does now. However Cylinder & Slide makes an awesome little 5 SHOT BUG based on a 45 Commander that they chop down. Bill Laughridge guarantees it 100% Can't do any better than that. If I wanted an ultra concealable 45 that's where I'd put my money. Here's a link. It's called THE ADVENTURER

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/sfsarticle.htm
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

DC Founder
    I doubt you would go wrong with any one of those three. I favor the Nighthawk; I love mine.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Wow, thats like asking a group of car guys which is better, a lamborghinini, ferrari, or porshe...

Those are pretty much the most elite builders, cant go wrong with any of those.
    Fear No Evil.

Alright, here is the skinny as I see it with the mentioned 1911 builders.

First Nighthawk is a great gun (EX Wilson Combat gun smiths started Nighthawk) but way over priced IMO. If you have money to burn and it's burning a hole in your pocket get a Nighthawk Talon II or whatever there officers frame is called.

Wilson Combat is as we all know a great gun and somewhat costly as well but still well under the cost of a Nighthawk, the officer CQB will do nicley.

Les Baer, Great builder but less flash, more to the meat of things. Very tight tolorances and just a well made 1911. You could not go wrong with a LB Stinger, sweet little carry piece. My FFL sells a stainless stinger with night sites for $1475.00 and a blued stinger with night sites for $1,445.95.

That is a great buy on either one of those. My recommendation and if I was buying one of them, I'd go with them in this order,1) Baer Stinger 2) Wilson CQB and then 3) Nighthawk. I have nothing against NH but it is just I like to get the most for my dollar and the Stinger does that for me. If you have unlimited funds to spend then go all out with a NH. But to me if you are spending that kind of dough I'd go for a full house custom from Yost or a top smith from the louder than words group using an officer platform.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

DC Founder
    I have to disagree with ya, Ti. The Nighthawk (at least when I bought mine) was comparably priced to the Wilson although just a bit cheaper. If you like a Wilson, you'll like a Nighthawk; if you like Nighthawk, you'll like a Wilson. Nighthawk wasn't just started by Wilson gunsmiths, it was started by their best gunsmiths.

The cheapest gun made by any of those three gunmakers would probably be considered "way overpriced" by many people on the forum. Funny, my order of preference would be exactly opposite of yours. But you know what? Neither one of us are wrong. It really is the Chevy, Ford, Dodge argument.....
    Bumper

I agree with ya Bumper, I was just stating that the best value for the dollar IMO is the Baer Stinger.

The Nighthawks are substantually higher now than before, NH had a price increase this year and I almost couldn't believe my eyes as to what they are wanting for a semi-custom these days. The Talon III starts at 2,399.00 now, add hard chrome to it and your are in the 2,700.00 to 2,800.00 unless you want a painted gun.

Nighthawks pricing "now" knocks them out of the running for me because I'd then rather have a full custom done for that price.

so if I am not being conservitive and Nighthawk was at the old pricing I would then have to go with a Nighthawk, Wilson and then the Baer ofcourse. But like I said it is about value for the dollar for me and the Baer will do that nicely at a great price.

And your right it is the old Chevy, Ford, Dodge question? hard to get a right answer when there are so many opinions and ways to look at it.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Have shot(though not extensively) the Wilson brand(3 different models) and the Baer brand.

They are prettier/nicer/etc. when you are handed one for the first and 15th time. The look(IMO) is higher quality. Maybe in the fit/finish dept.

I would like to own all three,and a couple of the other "higher end" offerings. Could I afford them ?? Yes I could. Then why don't I just pick up the phone and order one. It's really hard to explain. It's not because I'm smart OR stupid. I guess that the way to explain it is that the need hasn't overwhelmed me(yet).

As Bumper stated in his above post,some of us here would consider the above weapons overpriced. Im not sure that I would. I would consider them high priced. The biggest question that I would have is,"do you actually get what you pay for"??

In the building of these weapons there is a heck of allot of hands on stuff involved. Mostly in the fitting of one part to the next. The manhours spent on each weapon accomplishes two (or more) things, fit and finish(eye appeal), and reliability. The second definately needed in a carry or competition weapon.

I have beaten these weapons/shooters and have been beaten by these weapons/shooters. But I always ask myself,"have I just been beaten by the weapon or the shooter"?? If at any time I could tell myself that I had just been whooped by the weapon,I would be on the phone to the order desk just as soon as I got home.

Now does the weapon make the man a better shooter. Could be. But as stated before I have been beaten by milspec Springers,Auto Ords, and plain jane Glocks(even in 9mm, and that really hurts). Would a $3k pistol make me a better shooter?? Don't know but am going into the living room and take another look at the Wilson Combat catalog that sits on the table right next to my recliner. -----------
    Last edited by RSSZ; July 13th, 2006 at 11:42 AM.

DC Founder
    Darn, Ti, I may have to go check out their price list. That very low 3-digit Enforcer I own may represent a couple of Wilsons....
    Bumper

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    Darn, Ti, I may have to go check out their price list. That very low 3-digit Enforcer I own may represent a couple of Wilsons....
    Come on now Bumper! I hear ya...........

Ti.

Wilson CQB Compact

Here is the Wilson that you were talking about. It's called the CQB Compact. It comes in the Armor-Tuff coating or in stainless. Mine is in Armor-Tuff since th stainless version was not available when I purchased mine or I would have that one instead. I walked out of my "Wilson" gunstore paying $1650.00 for this one brand new. I think the price is well worth the quality of this weapon. This is one of three Wilsons I own and they are all top shelf.
    Last edited by tex45acp; July 14th, 2006 at 09:34 AM.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Links