Kahr CW9 Break-in

This is a discussion on Kahr CW9 Break-in within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A little bit of background first. My wife has had her carry permit for about 4 years, but until recently had shown no interest in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr CW9 Break-in

VIP Member

Question Kahr CW9 Break-in

A little bit of background first. My wife has had her carry permit for about 4 years, but until recently had shown no interest in actually carrying. She has a CZ RAMI 9MM that she shoots well and really likes, but the weight of it makes it inconvenient for carry for her. So we started looking for something lighter in a single stack for her. Last week she got to handle a Kahr CW40 and liked the feel of it. That brings us to today. Went to the gun show to check out single stack models again. Found a CW9 NIB for $420. Ran the paperwork and out the door we went with it.

The Kahr Instruction Manual recommends a 200 round break-in on the gun. Plan on going to the range tomorrow and between the 2 of us running it through it's paces. Is there anything special I need to watch for with the CW9? Anything the manual doesn't mention that I need to know?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

I owned one for a couple of years, and it was flawless. Even in the break-in period I had no issues of any kind. You can't return the slide without dropping the magazine. You might also want to look into a Hogue sleeve for the grip as it is a bit thin. Good luck!
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

When chambering the first round, lock the slide back and use the slide release lever to chamber the round. Kahr's have a tendency to nose the first round into the feed ramp and not chamber it. Usually another quick rack will take it home tho. After that first round is chambered, the rest feed reliably. If you want to avoid this, load one in the chamber, top off the magazine (full 7 rounds), then count your rounds when you shoot, every time fire 7 rounds, stop, reload the magazine, insert magazine and pull trigger, remember tho... there will always be a round in the chamber as you won't be firing all 8 rounds.

Other than that, the 200 rounds should go uneventful. Enjoy. It is a nice shooting firearm.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Congrats on the purchase. I own 2, PM9/P380, and love them. Great guns IMO. I would recommend following the reassembly procedures once you take it apart for cleaning. The slide release catches a spring that can be damaged/broken if it's not inserted correctly. I know the manual mentions the procedure but I don't recall it stating that the spring could be damaged/broke if done incorrectly. You will see it once you take the slide release pin out.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Anything the manual doesn't mention that I need to know?
    Get a grip sleeve. The texturing on the Kahr grips is like a freaking cheese grater.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member
    Go to kahrtalk, they have alot of kahr information there.

I have a P9. During break in on the first box of ammo, I had 1 FTF and the side didn't lock open once. Then around the 275 round mark, it dropped the mag twice. Kahr sent me a new mag catch, but I havn't tried it since I replaced it.

Don't sling shot the slide. Lock it back, then release the slide stop, or it might not feed the first round.

I put a qwik grip #3 on mine and it made a big difference in comfort and the feel of the grip. I highly recommend one.

Recoil on the 9mm is soft for a light pistol.

I've owned three Kahr pistols. As mentioned, you need to use the slide release (not the "pull and release" method) to properly chamber the first round. This is especially true of JHPs.

If you get a dud and need to run a "tap and rack" drill, be aware that you may get a nose-down jam when manually racking the slide, especially with JHPs and most especially if you have a fully loaded magazine inserted. You can try clearing it by either pulling back on the slide again (didn't work for me) or smacking upward really hard on the bottom of the mag to get the jammed round to nose up the feed ramp (usually cleared the jam for me). Thus a "tap, rack" drill becomes a "tap, rack, tap" drill at times with a Kahr.

Kahr recommended changing the recoil spring on the PM9 every 1000 rounds. Not sure about the longevity of the recoil spring on the CW series. You can always get a spare - one for carry, one for range work. The recoil springs on lighter pistols tend to take a beating.

Kahrs are nice and thin, but their manual-of-arms is a bit "quirky." In the end I decided I didn't want to train to use a pistol that required a different manual-of-arms than I was used to. Between that, and numerous reliability issues, I no longer own any Kahrs.

That said, I do hope yours runs well and meets your expectations. Best of luck with it!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

With any "break-in" period.......I'd recommend doing it with full loads for the cartridge and what's recommended by the manufacturer. I'm not a fan of "break-in" periods period. I want mine out of the box to meet the least of my expectations from day one.

I've used the same initial break in for all of my Kahr pistols (MK9, PM9 and P380). I took them apart, cleaned them thoroughly and applied a little grease on the rails. I currently use Gunzilla and Mil-Tec 1 grease. Then I racked the slide a few dozen times. It's worked really well so far. No malfunctions at all.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    With any "break-in" period.......I'd recommend doing it with full loads for the cartridge and what's recommended by the manufacturer. I'm not a fan of "break-in" periods period. I want mine out of the box to meet the least of my expectations from day one.
    I don't really like the idea of having to do a "break in" period either, but I put at least 200 rounds through a gun before I deem it good for carry anyways. Unless some sort of major problem shows up tomorrow, I should easily have 200 rounds of FMJ and 50-100 rounds of JHP through it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Anything the manual doesn't mention that I need to know?
    The manual covers most everything you need to know. The Kahr website has a FAQ area that answers most anything else.

I too endorse the grip sleeve. I've used both Hogue and Pachmayr on my seven Kahrs. I guess I like the product line.

I've never been a big fan of the standard Kahr sights. If your wife really likes the CW9, then better sights are now available for that line, if you choose.

Several places sell mags for better prices than Kahr, CDNN and Midway usually have good prices.

Kahr recommends recoil spring replacement after 1500 rounds. Both Kahr and Wolff supply them for about $8. Wolff offers a heavier wight spring if you plan on using +P ammo.

FWIW; all of my Kahrs feed and load perfectly well when I slingshot the slide. What you cannot do is ride the slide. Period, or it may not feed.

Enjoy your new Kahr.

I have around 1,300 rounds through my CW9. It performed 100% right out of the box. I mostly shoot cast bullet handloads through it for practice.

My striker spring just gave up so I'll be replacing it along with the recoil spring shortly. For a carry gun, spring replacement at 1,000 rounds seems like it might be a good idea.
    Cloudpeak

Against odds of apparently cosmic proportion, my CW9:
    - has never had a jam in well over 1000 rounds
    - didn't bobble, spit, burp or fart during the first 200 rounds (i.e., nothing unusual during the confidence-building early rounds)
    - has almost NEVER had the slide release used to chamber a round ("slingshot" method works fine on this and my K40)
    - does not chew up my hands from recoil
    - shoots +P just fine

I must lead a charmed life!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    ditto what gasmitty said, with the exception that I only have a little more than 800 rounds through my CW9. I never treated it any differently than any other pistol I've owned, and it's a pure pleasure to shoot.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mr surv and CW 40eyor View Post
    ditto what gasmitty said, with the exception that I only have a little more than 800 rounds through my CW9. I never treated it any differently than any other pistol I've owned, and it's a pure pleasure to shoot.
    My two Kahr's PM and CW 40 have been outstanding and have had no issues at all. I do drop the slide with the slide release on the CW40......if that is looked as a quirk with these quality, well made handguns......I can live with that.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links