Opinion on carrt gun for $500-$600 - Page 2

Opinion on carrt gun for $500-$600

This is a discussion on Opinion on carrt gun for $500-$600 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With the meth shacks and dopers running around the wood lately, I have been carrying a XD9 with two spare 21 rounds magazines for it ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    With the meth shacks and dopers running around the wood lately, I have been carrying a XD9 with two spare 21 rounds magazines for it during the summer, and a snubby loaded snake shot for backup.
    I guess what handgun you carry depends on what you want it get out of it. Around here it is drop-heads and dog/coyotes plus the occasional snake or two, that I worry about while out walking the woods. If I lived in an area with big cats or big bears, that would require a different requirement for the handgun.
    Semper Fi

VIP Member
    Since your familiar with and like .45 ACP and are used to carrying cocked and locked, you might want to look at the CZ 97. 10 Round magazine, .45 ACP, DA/SA capable of being carried C&L and falls in the price range your looking at.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I would second the G21 as a "woods gun" where concealability isn't much of a factor. Don't need to add another caliber, and the G21 packs a serious amount of firepower. If it "fits" you, and you shoot it well, I don't think you could do much better.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I'd say the XD might be a good bet, it'll shoot closer to how your 1911 does than a Glock, and while I carry a .40 myself, I agree that since you already have .45 for your 1911, get an XD or XDm in .45.

Since it sounds like you expect to get it dirty, reliability is going to be important. I've seen the best reliability reviews on the Glocks and the XDs of all of the polymer pistols. Polymer is going to be a lot easier to carry than anything in steel.

Just some random musings :-D

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Since your familiar with and like .45 ACP and are used to carrying cocked and locked, you might want to look at the CZ 97. 10 Round magazine, .45 ACP, DA/SA capable of being carried C&L and falls in the price range your looking at.
    Other cocked an locked options you(OP) may want to consider is a FNP45 or FNP/40FNX. They'll run cocked and lock with single action common to the 1911. If double action is not an issue a M&P 45 compact or fullsize may be good options.

Write me in as third on the list for the G21. Same ammo.
    The Ruger P94 would use the same ammo as well.

Take a look at the new Ruger SR40, right price range and a good shooter. comes with 2 mags 15+1 capacity
    Last edited by Steve J; January 9th, 2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: add info

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Glock 20 would be a woods gun unless you were worried about something bigger than just black bear.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I would also say look at the XD or XDM line of guns from Springfield.

If you looking for a glock for the conditions you mentioned. I'd opt for one of the 10mm glocks. So it's either the G20 or G29.

If it's a gun that you don't want to have to worry about scratching up, check out the trade-ins at the gun shop. You can get a good gun at a reduced price over a new one.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    get the XDM .45, same caliber, points and aims the same as a 1911, at least for me, or a Rock Island tactical, I own an XDM .40 and will be trading it in for a .45 as soon as I get a few hundred scraped together
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Glock 21SF or Glock 22...either one is a good choice and what I would love to get with a few extra hundo's lying around. Could always get a good deal on a used one then spend the extra on holsters ect.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I recommend checking out the Springfield XD series of pistols.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hambone40 View Post
    Edit...the title should read "Opinion on carry gun....not carrt gun....sorry.
    But you don't really make it clear if this will be a concealed carry gun, or if you are considering open carry for hiking and camping the woods??

The M&P 45 Compact model would be another good option to consider.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links