Opinion on carrt gun for $500-$600

This is a discussion on Opinion on carrt gun for $500-$600 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have shot for many years. I am used the 1911 platform and like it. However, I am considering adding a glock to the stable. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on carrt gun for $500-$600

Opinion on carrt gun for $500-$600

I have shot for many years. I am used the 1911 platform and like it. However, I am considering adding a glock to the stable. I have about $500 to $600 hundred dollars to spend on a gun. This gun will mostly become my woods gun. The gun I take while hiking and camping and don't have to worry to much about scratching up the finish. My current conceal carry gun is a Kimber ultra tactical in 45acp. I would be interested in hearing opinions on other guns that you guys love at this price point. I am open to other calibers as well as other options aside from the 1911. I am very comfortable carrying one in the chamber if this matters when you are making suggestions. Anything better than the glock out there?

Edit...the title should read "Opinion on carry gun....not carrt gun....sorry.

2. Remove Ads

Not sure what you're asking, bone. Use the word "carry" and most people think about a defensive gun shoved in your pants and doing your business in an urban/suburban environment.

If you're just looking to tote something around in the woods, what's wrong with that Kimber or any other 1911? Good woods gun would be a Rock Island full size and you'd have some dough left over for ammo and bug spray.

Looking to carry in the city, Kahr PM9 or CW9. Light, thin and reliable. Glocks are good and reliable, but fat, chunky and some people don't like the trigger - I don't, but still have a couple.
    Last edited by tomwalshco; January 9th, 2011 at 03:04 PM.

If you're just looking to tote something around in the woods, what's wrong with that Kimber or any other 1911? Good woods gun would be a Rock Island full size and you'd have some dough left over for ammo and bug spray.

Nothing is wrong with it at all. I just do not like getting it scractech up in the woods or me sweating all over it after hiking all day. I am looking for something that I do not have $1000 plus invested in to take into the woods and is still very reliable.

VIP Member
    Well, based on the scratching thing' and for strolling the outback, I guess I would look at a stainless .357 revolver from Ruger or Smith'. The S&W 686 or Ruger SP100 loaded with Buffalo Bore ammo comes to mind. Oh yeah, I'm a revolver guy so deduct points accordingly.

http://www.ruger.com/products/sp101/index.html
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

BTW: They don't usually sell for full retail new, and they're less on the used market.

Regards and welcome to the forum,
    Dan
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Well, based on the scratching thing' and for strolling the outback, I guess I would look at a stainless .357 revolver from Ruger or Smith'. The S&W 686 or Ruger SP100 loaded with Buffalo Bore ammo comes to mind. Oh yeah, I'm a revolver guy so deduct points accordingly.
    Thanks for the advice but I do have the S&W 686. I should have mentioned I am looking for a semi auto.

In that price range...You need a Glock 30 SF or a Glock 36.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Ok, it’s not a 1911 or a stainless .357 and scratches are a concern, together with the price point, then a Glock sounds about right!
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    How about a wide body Para Ordnance? High capacity and the same controls as your 1911. I have two in .40 cal.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

VIP Member
    I was going to second the .357 mag. in 3 in. barrel.

That way you can carry it anywhere.
    Other than that, I would say something .357 sig, or 10mm.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I was going to second the .357 mag. in 3 in. barrel.

That way you can carry it anywhere.
    Other than that, I would say something .357 sig, or 10mm.
    I am strongly considering the glock 32 in 357 sig.

equal to or better than...... semi autos.....$500-$600.... Beretta 9_, XD, M&P, CZ, Sig, H&K, Ruger

The G32 is a fine choice, I carry one often. The only one better would be a G20sf in 10mm if it's not too big. 180-200gr at 1350fps is awesome.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    You should get a Glock 21 so that you can use the same defensive ammo as your Kimber 1911, it is tough, reliable, won't get scratched up easily and it holds 13 rounds of .45 Auto. I say stick with the same caliber and get a nice leather holster and magazine pouch and you are good to go in the woods without any issues.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

A G22 holds 15, and the 40 is comparable to the 45 in energy figures, and is a great understudy to the 1911/45 package IMO .

los

<--------- this -------<<<<<
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links