Making changes for 2011

This is a discussion on Making changes for 2011 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by glockman10mm No BUG. Since I left active patrol, I have not felt the need for one. To be honest, I am so ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Making changes for 2011

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    No BUG. Since I left active patrol, I have not felt the need for one. To be honest, I am so used to carrying revolvers,that I will probably not carry a reload with the g17. However, when I carry the g26, I have it loaded with the 10 rounder with a 15 round g19 mag as a reload.
    I'd reconsider the part that I bolded. I know you have the BTDT credentials, but most semi-auto jams are magazine related, you may not need the extra rounds, but I would think an extra mag could bring a little extra piece of mind to you. IMHO.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I'd reconsider the part that I bolded. I know you have the BTDT credentials, but most semi-auto jams are magazine related, you may not need the extra rounds, but I would think an extra mag could bring a little extra piece of mind to you. IMHO.
    You are correct, and it is a fallicy in my thinking , I know. I will try resolve to change this mind set. Thanks

Cool

Old School. Options are nice. I can see me picking up another 19 or 23 in the future. Its gonna be fun to make this full size gun work.

Did you say it was cool down there? We made it to 28 degrees here today.
    Yeah buddy it was 58 degrees this morning and only got up to 68 degrees in the aftenoon. My blood has thinned out since I left Maryland 32 years ago. LOL.

Stay Warm and Stay Safe !
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I thought you were a heavy bullet for caliber kind of guy?

VIP Member
    Attachment 22736 50 yard off hand 6 shot groups with my g26. 4 on paper measuring 8x10. I pulled the other 2. The little glocks will shoot.
    Are you sure that was not a 60 shot group or at 5 yards instead of 50?

Good luck with the G17 and like the many before you, I won't be surprised with the "well I thought I would carry the G17, but the G26 is just smaller and lighter thread" here in a few months. It's nice to have choices though.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Good to see someone who is willing to try different things.

Given your stated preferences, I was a bit surprised to read this. I think you are making a good choice.

I would also suggest a spare mag, for malfunction clearance - just in case.

Good luck with the holster search...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    I thought you were a heavy bullet for caliber kind of guy?
    I am! But when you get close to 357 mag ballistics, and have 18 of them ready to go, well, that got me to thinkin, Glock, plus 357-like ballistics, hummmm. I like the 9mm over the 357 sig for this because there is not much difference and the availability and price of the 9 is more feasable.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Good to see someone who is willing to try different things.

Given your stated preferences, I was a bit surprised to read this. I think you are making a good choice.

I would also suggest a spare mag, for malfunction clearance - just in case.

Good luck with the holster search...
    I have always tried to be open minded. I have found its your best chance of stayin alive longer. I have always liked the 9mm.

VIP Member
    I am! But when you get close to 357 mag ballistics, and have 18 of them ready to go, well, that got me to thinkin, Glock, plus 357-like ballistics, hummmm. I like the 9mm over the 357 sig for this because there is not much difference and the availability and price of the 9 is more feasable.
    Glockman10mm - I think me was meaning the 147 versus the 124 in 9mm. I always figured you for just heavy calibers, but the multiple rounds in 9mm are nothing to sneeze at. Good call to get the gun now before the legislators go ape over one of their own being attacked yesterday. Not a certainty, but I figure it is likely.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I have always been a heavy for caliber guy, especially for when the cartridge is lacking velocity. I like the 147 grain in the g26, but the 4.5 inch g17 tube allows 1310 fps for the 124 grain load, which makes up the difference. With that Brass Jacketed bullet, it should be a tough bullet with good penetrating qualities. Combine that with 357 mag like velocities, and I feel pretty good about it. I might go out and try to find an animal of sufficient size and weight to try it out on.

Im sure you know that wirth proper attire and holster/belt that 17 will do fine.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Gman,
    I think you will be happy with your choice. Both of us being somewhat inclined to full size weapons, I don't think the weight or size will prove to be a problem for you. Something that I think that you will find, as did I, is the superior speed with which accurate shots can be delivered, without concern that the weapon is, or near, empty. While you are probably more skilled not to mention younger than myself, I found that not being a JM there is no way that I can deliver shots from a revolver with the speed that I can from my 92's. This supports my feelings that rapid, multiple shots (4-6, 4 minimuim) with reasonable accuracy, provide the greatest odds of a satisfactory solution to lethal problems.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Gman,
    I think you will be happy with your choice. Both of us being somewhat inclined to full size weapons, I don't think the weight or size will prove to be a problem for you. Something that I think that you will find, as did I, is the superior speed with which accurate shots can be delivered, without concern that the weapon is, or near, empty. While you are probably more skilled not to mention younger than myself, I found that not being a JM there is no way that I can deliver shots from a revolver with the speed that I can from my 92's. This supports my feelings that rapid, multiple shots (4-6, 4 minimuim) with reasonable accuracy, provide the greatest odds of a satisfactory solution to lethal problems.
    Gloves, I guess now you can see why I asked you about your EDC. The benefits of the full size service sidearm is something that has been eating away at me for a long time. It is something that just cannot be denied.

Congrats I hope you are pleased with your choice. I myself have changed it up a little, always been a .45 guy. I just bought a new G30 and ordered a Gen 3 G19, I really liked the way the 19 felt. Good Luck.

kpw
    I carried a G22 for about 6 years. When you find the right holsters, it packs pretty easy. I've been toting the 19 for a while now and I think I carry it more than my 17 just because I'm used to it. That and I have a lot more holster options for the 19. Sounds like you've made a well thought out decision there.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links