Making changes for 2011

Making changes for 2011

This is a discussion on Making changes for 2011 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Those of you who are familiar with me know that I am a big bore revolver advocate. I have also been a big fan and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making changes for 2011

Making changes for 2011

Those of you who are familiar with me know that I am a big bore revolver advocate. I have also been a big fan and advocate of the 357 magnum, and Glock pistols.

I have decided, that since I have such a like for glocks, and the affordabilty of the 9mm cartridge, that I have chosen the G17 as my primary carry piece for at least this year.

Why? Well, Double Tap makes a 124 grain BJHP at +p velocities of 1310 fps. Thats pretty close what you can get nowadays from the 125 grn 357 mag in a 4 inch barrel. Also the fact that I can have 18 in the glock, vs 6 in the revolver and still have a lighter package to carry helped with the decision. It seems that I have the best of both worlds.

Since my issued duty weapon is a g22, it will feel the same in my hand, and fit the same holsters.

It will be hard at times to conceal the g17, but I have the g26 to fill that roll.

Yeah, I know, I could have done this sooner, but just wasnt ready.
    My revolvers are not going anywhere, and will be needed in areas the glock cannot handle. But for everyday, carry for protection against 2 legged varmits, 18 rounds of 9mm that is almost as hot as 357 mags is very appealing.

So, today, I purchased a brand new 3rd gen G17, and have just ordered some 124 grn +p bjhp from Double Tap.
    I will be experimenting with IWB and OWB holsters, as I am not used to carrying my g22, or g17 concealed. I have never had an issue with the 23, 19, or 26, so this will be an exercise in learning, but I am determined to carry the bigger gun as my primary.

So, I guess even us old dogs can learn, eh?

Semper Gumby

Good luck in your quest, hope it all works out ok for ya, just remember, you can always go back to the basics if you have to.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Congratulations on your new G17!
    I have one holster that I've used to carry the full size, compact, and sub-compact Glocks. DeSantis Scorpion. All the 9mm, 357sig, 40S&W, and 45GAP will fit.

VIP Member
    Glockmann10mm - I can CC the G21 pretty easily. I doubt you will have any issues with the G17. I like the Kholster for the task. It will fit all your Glocks Except the G36.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Just curious why the 17 rather than the 19. I guess it would be a little easier to conceal thought I havent compared them side by side in quite some time

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    Just curious why the 17 rather than the 19. I guess it would be a little easier to conceal thought I havent compared them side by side in quite some time
    Higher capacity, and the Glock reputation does revolve around the g17. I have had the 19 and 23, just want to see if I can make the largest one work. I have gotten lazy, and would choose the full size gun if I had a choice before the shtf. I figure why wait?

Good luck with our new carry gun

Let us know how it works out for you.

I plan on getting a 9mm conversion barrel for my G23. I've only fired 1 9mm in my life (Browning HP) and liked the milder recoil and as you mentioned. Ammo will be cheaper as well. I hope to make it to the range a little more this year than I did last year.

Sounds like sound logic to me. Do you carry a BUG and if so what?
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    Sounds like sound logic to me. Do you carry a BUG and if so what?
    No BUG. Since I left active patrol, I have not felt the need for one. To be honest, I am so used to carrying revolvers,that I will probably not carry a reload with the g17. However, when I carry the g26, I have it loaded with the 10 rounder with a 15 round g19 mag as a reload.

For my hands, the midsize G19 and 23 point more like my 1911 and CZ. The fullsize Glocks always pointed muzzle high for my natural grip angle. The main thing is that you carry what points the best for you.

I have a 26 that I dont shoot well. I have a begun to carry a 642 or Sp101 all this 9mm Glock talk makes me want to look into a 19.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I have a 26 that I dont shoot well. I have a begun to carry a 642 or Sp101 all this 9mm Glock talk makes me want to look into a 19.
    pic3.jpg 50 yard off hand 6 shot groups with my g26. 4 on paper measuring 8x10. I pulled the other 2. The little glocks will shoot.

Cool

Congrats on the new G-17 Glockman. I went to the range today and took my G-21 and G-36. I have a High Noon Mr. Softy for each and wanted to do a little concealed carry draw drills. It was a little cool this morning so I put on a loose fitting sweat shirt. I carry in the appendix posistion. I knew the G-36 was going to be no problem to conceal and draw from but I was surprised how well the G-21 concealed. I have never carried the 21 concealed before as it is my uniform duty carry and I have a G-19 and G-23 that do the concealed off duty work. I have a Cross Breed belt and this adds excellent support. I am 5'11" and 175 lbs so there is not alot of me to help mask the size of the 21 but I found it no harder to conceal than the 19 or 23 given the proper outer garment. Except for the added weight of the 14 rounds of .45 ACP which sounds very comforting,and the larger frame and slide, the fact that the manual of arms for all Glocks is identical makes this a very appealing choice under the right circumstances. I, like Glockman have had an epifphany however it is in the opposite caliber direction. I shot Winchester Ranger 230 gr, my duty Remington Golden Saber 230 gr and RWS 230 gr FMJ and follow up shots were easy to place center mass at the 7 yard distance I was doing the vast majority of my shooting from. Now I know that most of the time the G-23 will still be my primary concealed choice but that will be mostly because of the weight issue over the G-21 and the lighter cover garments during the warmer weather, but on those days when I can put a sweatshirt or light jacket on the G-21 will be doing a little CC duty. It sure is nice to have options.

P26100833.jpg

G-23 G-36 G-19
    Last edited by Old School; January 9th, 2011 at 09:33 PM.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Old School. Options are nice. I can see me picking up another 19 or 23 in the future. Its gonna be fun to make this full size gun work.

Did you say it was cool down there? We made it to 28 degrees here today.

No doubt I have a friend who shoots my 26 like nobodys business. I just havent gotten there yet. I havent given up untill then Ill stick with my 642/SP101. Of course I never know when that 19 might just hop into the rotation

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links