Top Break .22 Magnum - Page 2

Top Break .22 Magnum

This is a discussion on Top Break .22 Magnum within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I always wanted an NAA mini-revolver, just for the heck of it! I like the top- break alot more than having to remove the cyl. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top Break .22 Magnum

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I always wanted an NAA mini-revolver, just for the heck of it! I like the top- break alot more than having to remove the cyl. to reload!

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    If it had a 3" barrel with the pug style sights it would be a great gun... I do like the top break design. Better than pulling the cylinder out every time.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I kinda like it.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Distinguished Member
    It seems so small, it would be easy to get your hand around that cylinder somehow and get burned. I had a 22 magnum pistol and they really create some drama.

As for the holstered weapon on the lanyard.......well that's just so darn cute. Thanks for posting. I think it deserves it's own thread.

I have a NAA 22 Mag and I love it. Im accurate with it at SD ranges (10 yards or less) and I gauruntee its better than a 25 cal! Its a VERY well made little pistol and works great for SUPER deep concealment!...

Nay sayers obviously dont have one!
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

If I'm not carrying my K/T PF9, my new K/T P32 is in my right front pocket, behind my wallet! Nope... I'm just not interested in a 5 shot SINGLE action mini-revolver!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    An interesting conversation piece, perhaps a novelty at the range.

But a serious self defense tool? Not me.
    ME TOO. IT Looks like a fun shooter. I know that most of the female officers on my local PD carry a NAA derringer in their brassiere as an "onion field" gun.
    War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

There are three kinds of people, sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves. If you don't understand this, you're a sheep.

Are you a turtle?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Here is an interesting concept by North American Arms. Its a top break .22 Magnum. While I am not a fan of .22's for self defense, this little revolver is definitely better than throwing rocks.
    If its built like the NAA .22's it ought to be a keeper.
    Thanks for posting, I wasn't aware that NAA is making a top break revolver. IMHO they make a high quality firearm.

I 100% agree with what you wrote above, particularly what I put in bold. You know, this tiny gun thing is a no-brainer because like most everything else in life, it's a trade-off. The NAA stuff is small, SA, .22 caliber, 5 rounds............YOU HAVE TO GIVE UP SOME THINGS TO BE SMALL. If you want/need small NAA is absolutely perfect. If you don't won't/need small there's plenty of handguns to choose from.

I see it as sort of the opposite of a Taurus Judge, they are niche guns.

Would I carry one? Yes (and I have)
    Is it a great SD gun? No, not really, but I have seen my share of people killed by a .22
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Thanks for posting, I wasn't aware that NAA is making a top break revolver. IMHO they make a high quality firearm.

I 100% agree with what you wrote above, particularly what I put in bold. You know, this tiny gun thing is a no-brainer because like most everything else in life, it's a trade-off. The NAA stuff is small, SA, .22 caliber, 5 rounds............YOU HAVE TO GIVE UP SOME THINGS TO BE SMALL. If you want/need small NAA is absolutely perfect. If you don't won't/need small there's plenty of handguns to choose from.

I see it as sort of the opposite of a Taurus Judge, they are niche guns.

Would I carry one? Yes (and I have)
    Is it a great SD gun? No, not really, but I have seen my share of people killed by a .22
    +1, I completely agree.

I think it's a cool little pocket gun.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

It would be handy for a 3rd gun.
    It Is Easy To Be Brave From A Distance ~ Aesop

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
    Naa just makes me wonder. All the time and money they must have invested in that thing. Why did they not make it a little bigger say 32NAA cal. or 380. It may hurt your hand to shoot but, a last resort hide out, #3 stick it in the face, get off me Gun.
    That was talked about alot on the NAA forums. It comes down to engineering. It's not as simple as increasing the dimensions. Plus, the increase in size to accommodate the larger diameter rounds would put it into direct competition with the various J-frame guns.

It hurts my hands a lot less to shoot, than it does to reload. I have the original version, and if the carpal tunnel is acting up, i'm only good for a few reloads at the indoor range. But that goes for my .38 snubbies as well.

I really like this notion of a mini-break-top .22 revolver and was glad when my brother-in-law acquired one earlier in the year. His unfortunately developed a malady that seems to be affecting each and every one of these cute little revolvers. It seems that the forcing cone is very prone to splitting out at the bottom. The forcing cone is very thin there. His revolver's forcing cone had already developed a dent in the trouble spot but he let me shoot it a bit only last week when we met for our annual javalina hunt and "border blast."

I shot a couple of cylinders-full through the gun at a regulation size metallic silhouette pig from 10 yards. I didn't figure out the small gun's point of aim until after I was into my second cylinder but could make hits for the remaining shots. The trigger pull was pretty heavy but this would be of necessity for handling safety with such a small spur-trigger revolver. It really wasn't as loud as a short-barreled .38 Special snub fired with target wadcutters and no fireball was noticed (this was at high-noon on a clear day in the blazing sun). Other than the problem with the forcing cone, which worsened but didn't split as we all took a turn with the revolver, the gun worked great. Ejection was positive and convenient. The workmanship on the gun is outstanding. I sure wish they could effectively address the forcing cone issue.

Both B-I-L and I are on a tiny private forum that has a few gun industry people look in occasionally. One had introduced the revolver to the little forum last year in a post. B-I-L made mention that his revolver was failing at the bottom of the forcing cone which made the other member take a look at his break-top .22. He reported back that his forcing cone was blowing out on the bottom too.

This is a shame because the concept is quite good otherwise and I'd get one just for fun if NAA fixes the issue. I'd really like one in .22 Long Rifle for cheap ammo costs. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that NAA is going forward with production of this revolver at this time. North American Arms

My B-I-L contacted NAA who offered to give him full credit for another product in their line or offered that he could wait to see if they ever re-engineered the revolver to obviate the forcing cone problem. He hasn't decided whether to keep his or punt in favor of NAA's offer. Due to the limited production of 500, the revolver could become a minor collectible. Don't know how collectible the ones with damaged forcing cones would be and it wouldn't be much fun to own a neat little revolver you can't shoot.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Cute little snake tickler, does it shoot bird shot?-- :)-- Mister Chipmunk my patience with your chirpin has done run out. Kidding aside I think it is a more novelty than practical. Would I buy one, probably not, but I would not turn down your invite to shoot yours.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links