My Experience With Natchez - I Will No Longer Deal With Them

This is a discussion on My Experience With Natchez - I Will No Longer Deal With Them within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I tried to purchase a 17 round Glock 17 mag from Natchez this morning. They have them in stock, but their computer refuses to sell ...

Thread: My Experience With Natchez - I Will No Longer Deal With Them

VIP Member

I tried to purchase a 17 round Glock 17 mag from Natchez this morning. They have them in stock, but their computer refuses to sell them to me. I called and was told it was because Cincinnati has a prohibition against mags over 10 rounds. I explained that I do not live in Cincinnati (based on my zip code, they agreed) and their response was they would not sell them to me anyway. I asked them to remove me from their mailing list, they complied - with attitude.

Natchez had a good price on the mag I wanted, but their refusal to sell a legal product legally has cost them all my future business. My prior business with them has not been insignificant.

I have the following questions/observations:

1. Has anybody else had issues with them refusing to sell legal products in a legal fashion?

2. Also, I thought that the Ohio Revised Code in ORC2923.11 does a pretty good job of spelling out that to be illegal, magazines have to allow for firing more than 31 rounds without reloading.

3. Does Ohio not have state preemption that precludes subdivisions of the state from enacting different gun laws?

This day is off to a great start
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    1. No.
    2. 30 rounds should be enough for anyone.
    3. Rather than ask a forum where anyone can answer correctly or incorrectly, research your state laws as to the state having "preemption" on guns laws and what local municipalities are and are not allowed to do.

Here in FL the state sets almost all laws on firearms. Counties are allowed to establish "waiting periods" but that's about all. I recently challenged a county attorney on a county ordinance banning firearms in its parks. It is not an area prohibited by state law, and he agreed that state law must be followed, as would the LEOs.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    3. Rather than ask a forum where anyone can answer correctly or incorrectly, research your state laws as to the state having "preemption" on guns laws and what local municipalities are and are not allowed to do.
    I have done so, there is, to the best of my ability to discern it, no restriction on a G17 - 17 round mag. I am simply asking if someone else knows different to provide me with the source so I can research it. I have read the ORC, it ain't there.

Here in FL the state sets almost all laws on firearms. Counties are allowed to establish "waiting periods" but that's about all. I recently challenged a county attorney on a county ordinance banning firearms in its parks. It is not an area prohibited by state law, and he agreed that state law must be followed, as would the LEOs.
    Ohio also has state preemption.

I find it interesting that Natchez is the only site that is out of touch. Midway, Cheaper than Dirt, Midsouth, Cabelas will all sell to me, although they have higher prices than Natchez. I simply think Natchez is out of touch with the current law.

I went with Cheaper than Dirt and for less than $200 plus shipping got the conversion barrel for my G22 to 9mm (Lone Wolf) and 4 Glock factory G17 mags. I wish I could have gotten the Natchez pricing, but in the end, that is their loss.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

1. No.
    30 rounds should be enough for anyone.
    and some people in the anti group think 1 round is enough for anyone..... same premise

VIP Member
    I think Natchez is a fine company. There is no sense to what you are saying. What if they have the best price on scopes next week? Do you pay more just because you didn't get what you wanted this week? Take a deep breath and relax.
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I think Natchez is a fine company. There is no sense to what you are saying. What if they have the best price on scopes next week? Do you pay more just because you didn't get what you wanted this week? Take a deep breath and relax.
    My money - my rules. It is not so much that they are out of date, although that is irritating, but the attitude of the associates I dealt with was unacceptable. They basically told me to take my business eleswhere, I will comply.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    My money - my rules. It is not so much that they are out of date, although that is irritating, but the attitude of the associates I dealt with was unacceptable. They basically told me to take my business eleswhere, I will comply.
    While I haven't had any experiences with them good or bad, I would have said and done the same thing in your shoes. Lots of other fish in the sea. Maybe that fits better when referring to women but, whatev.

VIP Member
    If they were rude to you I understand.
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

GMS
    While Ohio has state preemption, there are many cities and towns with more restrictive gun laws on the books. For example, the city of Clyde banned CCW in parks until their law was struck down by the State Supreme Court a year or two ago. Regarding magazines, I know that Toledo, Shaker Heights, Dublin, Cleveland, Columbus, and maybe Cincy all restrict the magazine capacity to ten rounds. These mag restriction most likely would not hold up in court, but until challenged are technically 'on the books'. While likely not legal, I can understand a company not wanting to get involve or being part of the test case. Many companies including Sportsmens Guide and Cheaper than Dirt refuse to ship magazines with greater than 10 round capacity to zip codes within these cities. A few companies that I have dealt with, including Natchez, take a slightly different approach and just refuse to ship the 10 plus round mags to the whole state. I ran into the same problem a few years ago when NSS refused to ship me the 20 round mags for a FiveseveN at an awesome price. A few months later, they had a great deal on 5.7x28mm ammo; I gave them a call, made sure they would ship, and placed the order.
    A deal is a deal. Even though I dislike NSS for refusing to ship me the magazines, I still saved a couple hundred bucks off a case of ammo from them verses buying it local. I will refuse to use a business with poor customer service, but cannot fault a business for not wanting to get involved with local politics/legal issues.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GMS View Post
    While Ohio has state preemption, there are many cities and towns with more restrictive gun laws on the books. For example, the city of Clyde banned CCW in parks until their law was struck down by the State Supreme Court a year or two ago. Regarding magazines, I know that Toledo, Shaker Heights, Dublin, Cleveland, Columbus, and maybe Cincy all restrict the magazine capacity to ten rounds. These mag restriction most likely would not hold up in court, but until challenged are technically 'on the books'. While likely not legal, I can understand a company not wanting to get involve or being part of the test case.
    The Ohio Supreme Court struck down all the local municipality laws in 2010 - see this link for the ruling - http://www.supremecourt.ohio.gov/rod...-Ohio-6318.pdf.

The court's summary is "{ 35} R.C. 9.68 addresses the General Assembly’s concern that absent a uniform law throughout the state, law abiding gun owners would face a confusing patchwork of licensing requirements, possession restrictions, and criminal penalties as they travel from one jurisdiction to another. We hold that R.C. 9.68 is a general law that displaces municipal firearm ordinances and does not unconstitutionally infringe on municipal home rule authority. Moreover, we hold that the authorization for awards of attorney fees and costs in R.C. 9.68 does not violate the separation of powers doctrine. Accordingly, we reverse the judgment of the court of appeals and remand the cause to the court of appeals for it to address the city’s assignment of error that Sub.H.B. No. 347 violates the one subject rule, an issue which the court of appeals previously held to be moot."

Basically, the Supreme Court (Ohio) upheld the preemption law and struck down the subdivision laws. The only item left open is the one subject rule, and that was remanded. I suspect the appelate court will find for Cleveland and the Supreme Court will have to rule - which way is anybody's guess. In any event, the subdivision laws no longer are valid and, ifRC 9.68 is ultimately struck down under the 1 subject rule, the GA will act quickly to reinstate the law in conformance with that rule.

Cheaper than Dirt took the order and I have a shipping confirmation with tracking number.

Sponsored Links