Why do people rag on the Sigma Series?

This is a discussion on Why do people rag on the Sigma Series? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't wanna sound like a jerk or anything I was just wondering why so many people rag on the Sigma series? My g/f's brother ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Why do people rag on the Sigma Series?

Why do people rag on the Sigma Series?

I don't wanna sound like a jerk or anything I was just wondering why so many people rag on the Sigma series? My g/f's brother told me right after I 1st bought it that it was a pos and that I should have gone with a glock...I've put about 100rounds into it with no issues and a tight grouping..just figured you guys/girls on here could give me some insight..I personally love the gun

2. Remove Ads

A lot of gun people favor one brand and bash many others, especially the cheaper brands. That is all

Because it's a sore reminder of Smith and Wesson having the oppurtunity to compete with Glock, with the benefit of studying the competition, and still screwing up by putting out an inferior product. Now finally after years of trial and error, they claim to have it right and boast of the success of the M&P series.

I Shot the M&P .40 and Love it...that's probably going to be the next gun I buy...

because it is cheaply made and when I need to rely my life on something, I don't want to cheap out. I did ONCE with a taurus, learned my lesson the hard way. never again.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc1103 View Post
    I don't wanna sound like a jerk or anything I was just wondering why so many people rag on the Sigma series? My g/f's brother told me right after I 1st bought it that it was a pos and that I should have gone with a glock...I've put about 100rounds into it with no issues and a tight grouping..just figured you guys/girls on here could give me some insight..I personally love the gun
    Perhaps you got a newer model where all the flaws were fixed from the original design. The problem is that many people that bought the original S&W Sigma pistol had lots of problems with them and reported that the trigger was terrible so the Internet is flooded with bad reviews. If you like the S&W Sigma, you shoot it well and you are happy with it, then who cares what other people say. I have had people tell me that Heckler & Koch and Walther make crappy pistols (I think that is absurd since they are top-notch), but I couldn't care less because they work for me, I should them well and so far I have had zero problems with them. I personally don't like Glocks, but just because I don't like them it doesn't mean that they are bad pistols and I would bad mouth them. As a matter of fact I recommend them more than any other pistol to new shooters because they are reliable, affordable, simple to use and there are tons of accessories and spare parts available on the market and their aftermarket value is solid.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I have a sigma 9 and I have put around 300 rounds down range and it sucks! The trigger breaks so hard it shakes the gun, group is about 1 foot. I can take same gun and put it in a pistal vise rest and it is dead on. I will be sending it back to S&W to see if they can help it some. I had 3 other people try it out that can shoot a lot better than me, they did a little better but not much. I should have got the XD9 to go with my XD45.

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    Perhaps you got a newer model where all the flaws were fixed from the original design. The problem is that many people that bought the original S&W Sigma pistol had lots of problems with them and reported that the trigger was terrible so the Internet is flooded with bad reviews. If you like the S&W Sigma, you shoot it well and you are happy with it, then who cares what other people say. I have had people tell me that Heckler & Koch and Walther make crappy pistols (I think that is absurd since they are top-notch), but I couldn't care less because they work for me, I should them well and so far I have had zero problems with them. I personally don't like Glocks, but just because I don't like them it doesn't mean that they are bad pistols and I would bad mouth them. As a matter of fact I recommend them more than any other pistol to new shooters because they are reliable, affordable, simple to use and there are tons of accessories and spare parts available on the market and their aftermarket value is solid.
    couldn't agree more

Senior Moderator
    The trigger sucks.
    Most people that are new to guns dont realize it until they pick up another gun and shoot it.
    Then and only then will they understand why experienced shooters rag in the Sigma.

There are others that praise it because its the only gun they have and they dont want to admit that the trigger design is designed more for safety than it is to shoot.
    I personally have no use for a gun that is designed not to be fired. The .380 came out first and it was this gun that gave the rest of them a bad name.

I have instructed many people over the years that brought them to the range to qualify with and could barely hit the target. When given another gun to shoot, they did well and there were no issues. Most of them put that one away and bought another gun to use for personal defense.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I remember when the Glocks started gaining ground after their debut in the mid eighties. S&W didn't even blink, until they started to losing contracts. Then they quickly copied the Glock in many ways, and it was a flop. Now after 20 years, they should have it right with the newest glock copy. I mean, it has only taken them 20 plus years to make their own glock, but put their own twists on it an proclaim they have the best product? That's why I do not like anything S&W makes except revolvers, or the older autos of THEIR OWN design. They have not had any inovation of their own in a long time, just copy and ad their own twist to things.

Ive owned a few sigmas and have to say each and everyone have done as they should and went bang everytime , the trigger pull was a tad heavy but nothing that cannot be mastered
    Well hell yes its dangerous if it wasnt i wouldnt be carrying it!
    Beretta PX4 40sw
    SR9
    PF9
    Sig mosquito 22
    Keltec p3at

Yep it took a while to master the long trigger pull on my Sigma 9, but for a relatively low price home/truck gun it performed perfectly.

Senior Moderator
    It should be noted that the Sigma 9 trigger is much better than the .380 trigger.
    Its still sucks as far as triggers go, but its definately an improvement.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I have the SW40VE and the trigger doesn't seem that bad

VIP Member
    Not sure about Sigma but several brand models made today are not anywhere near as good as 20+ years ago. It’s all about speed and ease of production while profits continue to rise. Ok, there are a few stand-outs, but still.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links