Shoulder holster carry??

Shoulder holster carry??

This is a discussion on Shoulder holster carry?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have never carried with a shoulder holster and I think I might after seeing my friends custom twin 1911 shoulder holster set up. It ...

Thread: Shoulder holster carry??

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar

Shoulder holster carry??

I have never carried with a shoulder holster and I think I might after seeing my friends custom twin 1911 shoulder holster set up. It looks pretty sweet and isn't to bad to cover up in the winter months. I am looking to carry something big if I do thinking S&W 500 4" or Desert Eagle 50AE?? I would always have at least my IWB as a back up too, but wanted to make up an new rig and can't decide on which big boy to go with??
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I use a wheelchair much of the time so shoulder rig is often the way I carry. No chance of bumping the holster with my wheels. I have a Galco rig and works well.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Galco does make some really sweet rigs! This is only gonna be a specific occation rig. In the woods or with special cloths.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

VIP Member
    I use to carry my full-size nail biting customized Springfield in a Galgo shoulder rig, and it was awesome! Every real man has to have one for those feel-good days. As it was, I sold the gun (stupid) and then sold the holster/harness to our forum administrator. I’ve wanted another one ever since.

This time around, I’m going with the Alessi Guardian. I can say from experience that you must not underestimate the torsion required to pull your gun from what amounts to, a hammock. Tie-downs are helpful or at least a well designed cross-support from shoulder-to-shoulder. With this in mind, 'go ahead, and make your day'
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    I use to carry my full-size nail biting customized Springfield in a Galgo shoulder rig, and it was awesome! Every real man has to have one for those feel-good days. As it was, I sold the gun (stupid) and then sold the holster/harness to our forum administrator. I’ve wanted another one ever since.

This time around, I’m going with the Alessi Guardian. I can say from experience that you must not underestimate the torsion required to pull your gun from what amounts to, a hammock. Tie-downs are helpful or at least a well designed cross-support from shoulder-to-shoulder. With this in mind, 'go ahead, and make your day'
    Which Galco design did you prefer for the full sized 1911? I am looking into getting the shoulder rig but I do not like the horizontal holster that seems popular these days.

Michael

I use a Miami Classic - a horizontal shoulder holster from Galco. 90% of the time I am carrying a 1911 (the other 10% of the time I carry a Beretta 92 in a similar Galco rig) and I find it the best way for me to carry in almost every situation. I own a nylon Uncle Mike's vertical shoulder holster and I like it, but for me, my gun seems to print more in a vertical holster. When I go for bike rides or long walks and hikes, I carry in a "tanker" style military shoulder holster and that is probably my favorite way to carry but not very concealable.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I used to carry my Blackhawk .41 or .22 H&R in shoulder rigs when afield and loved how they worked. They're good for concealment as long as a coat/jacket is worn. They keep the guns in close and very secure.

I also carried my TC 14" Contender in one. It dragged the ground with a belt holster!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I have tried shoulder holster carry but found it to be uncomfortable and not practical. just my own results, yours may vary.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Which Galco design did you prefer for the full sized 1911? I am looking into getting the shoulder rig but I do not like the horizontal holster that seems popular these days.

Michael
    I had the ‘Jackass’ rig with tie-downs. Now, a horizontal rig doesn't really mean horizontal in the literal sense, unless you prefer to set it that way. The adjustable harness straps that secure the holster can be positioned to your preference. In the attached link, click on the small thumbnails to see an example. I adjusted mine rather high under the armpit for better stability and comfort.

https://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.a...51&CatalogID=2
    http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDQQ8gIwBQ#

BTW: At the time I was carrying my 1911 stainless, I weighed all of 148-pounds so it was a challenge to conceal it in all but winter-wear. Since I live in the hottest region of the country I decided to downsize to a smaller carry.

Dan
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Galco Miamai Classic II. very comfy. carry either my G29 or full size 1911. I like the horizontal holster and mags.

Most comfortable I ever wore is the one I have: old 70s - maybe 60s - Safariland 19, Upside-Down holster, Steve McQueen in great film :BULLITT style, this for my Colt Detective. This is pix of another, I have none of my own.

By the way, check out Ken Null's website who had a modern version of these that get absolutely rave reviews all over the internet. I have one for a Colt Python. but gun is too big in any holster (I could sell the holster, PM me if interested, $50 - worn once)

Here is Ken's website. A very nice man too! (My holster is the SMZ - which gets the top reviews):

http://www.klnullholsters.com/

null-smz-558-s.jpg

And a YouTube of someone drawing from a Knull SMZ: (Couple of videos really)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2y-WzZQs4I

-------
    And here is the Safariland 19 of old:

bulletkframea.jpg

I have a couple of older Bianchi X-15s, one for a full sized Colt Government Model and a 4-inch Smith & Wesson K-Frame. Properly adjusted they were great under business suites before I retired. Easy draw from sitting at a desk, driving, etc..
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar

Andrews Monarch

I have used an excellently comfortable, now-discontinued, mid-1980's-era vertical (muzzle-down) nylon rig for 4" revolvers up to N-frame in size. IIRC, it was "Weapons Systems" or "Special Weapons" brand. The belt took some of the weight, the harness the rest of the weight. This rig was put away into storage some time ago, therefore my being unsure of the brand.

I tried the same maker's horizontal nylon rig back in the day, which did not work so well on my body, though a long-ago girlfriend really liked it, and I think she kept it.

Now that I tote P229 pistols for duty, which are short enough to carry horizontally, I sometimes use an Andrews Monarch, which makes the Galco rigs seem amateurish. The strap that crosses the middle of one's back stabilizes the rig very well, making tie-downs unnecessary.

I live along the Texas Gulf Coast, which rivals the Florida's Panhandle and western coast for heat and humidity, so I don't wear shoulder rigs often. Mostly, I use them now for long cooler-weather road trips. I used to use shoulder rigs for surveillance duty and on a second job which involved sitting in a truck for long hours.

Links