Today shot my LCR and M&P9c

This is a discussion on Today shot my LCR and M&P9c within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I finally tromped out through the snow and got some shots off with my new LCR. I don't have a formal target to shoot ...

Thread: Today shot my LCR and M&P9c

Today shot my LCR and M&P9c

So I finally tromped out through the snow and got some shots off with my new LCR. I don't have a formal target to shoot at, just a 5 gal metal bucket against a big mound of dirt and brush. I stepped back to my usual spot, which is 21 ft from the bucket and squeezed off 5 rnds, taking a couple seconds between each. The first shot was right where I was aiming. The next four were a couple inches left. Probably from not taking quite as long as I did with the first. All could be covered with a baseball. I was impressed, as I haven't shot a revolver DA in I don't know how long. The next 15 were much quicker. Not competition or anything, but I wasn't taking nearly the time. Sight on target, pop. All my shots could be covered with an 7" disc, with the exception of two that were unaccounted for. I wasn't happy about those two errant shots, but The others I was pleased with. I was also pleased with the way I could do followups quickly. I found the LCR to be quite jumpy shooting the FMJ truncated .38 special 158 gr loads, but it came right back onto target very quickly and ready for the followup. It pointed very naturally. Especially with that XS sight. And the Hogue Tamer fit perfect in my hand. I do not see a followup shot at that range with this gun being a concern at all. It's a sweet setup.

So not wanting today's EDC to feel left out, I rolled the bucket to a fresh spot and pulled out my M&P9c, figuring I would empty the mag. The first thing I noticed is I had no front sight! Well, it was there, but the white was missing. A ten second assessment found that I had managed to shave some kydex when I unholstered the weapon and it had fit perfectly within the concave sight, covering the white. That hasn't happened in the house, but then I haven't actually drawn the weapon while wearing my winter jacket in the house either, just pulled up my jacket and practiced getting my grip. Interesting. So after clearing the kydex, which was done with my finger and a puff of air, I fired off the magazine, again not really taking my time, but trying to quickly get the sight on target and quickly squeeze off my next shot.
    Not nearly as much jumping around. That was expected. And also not quite as quick to get the sights aligned. That was unexpected. There was something about the LCR's XS sight that when you see it, or at least when I see it, it's on target. Kind of like using a peep sight and finding the gold front bead. When I feel I should be shooting again, it's good to go. The M&P's sights there's a little more wiggle room, but the shorter trigger pull and less felt recoil makes up for the extra millisecond it takes to squeeze of a pretty accurate followup shot at short range.

Anyway, just some observations from someone who doesn't push a thousand rnds of ammo through their guns every year, which is a category a lot of us fall into, for right or wrong.

Oh, and has anyone here done a bit of filing on their M&P's front sight to take the sharp edge off? Am I the only person this has happened to? I've got some nice grooves within the top inch of my King-Tuk, so this isn't the first time this has happened, but it's the first time the white has been filled in with the shavings. The better solution might be to work on technique, but one can't always say for certain what kind of conditions he might have to draw his weapon from. Maybe cut a groove in the holster at that point?

2. Remove Ads

Glad you like your new snub. Seems like it came pretty naturally for you, which is always a nice feeling. That is indicative that you made a purchase of a weapon that is intuitive for you to sight and shoot. The light snubs are just so easy to carry they're addictive. I've got mine in a nylin clip IWB holster in my lounge pants at 4 0'clock position right now and I don't even notice it. Congrats on the snub and I hope you get your sight/holster issue worked out on your M&P.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

So, do you attribute being on target sooner, with the snub, to the XS sight or the LCR itself?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Thanks BugDude. I'm loving it. I know now I made the right choice.

Good question zacii. When in the gunshop I really didn't like the black ramp with black notch. My eyes did much better with the S&W 642's silver on silver, which I was strongly considering just for that fact. Once I handled the LCR with the XS sight it just blew both away, but I couldn't stand the boot grip that came with that model. That's why I picked it up last. It did not feel natural in my hand at all. Having the owner put the tamer grip on the LCR with the XS sight just seemed a perfect match for me. I'd say it's 60/40 sight/LCR (with the tamer). That big white dot just falls onto the target naturally as I'm bringing the LCR back down after a shot. And it's right where it should be in relation with the U notch.

Links