New CZ and a Question

This is a discussion on New CZ and a Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to a gun show on Saturday and bought a CZ 75 D Compact pistol in great shape for an excellent price. In fact ...

Thread: New CZ and a Question

New CZ and a Question

I went to a gun show on Saturday and bought a CZ 75 D Compact pistol in great shape for an excellent price. In fact it looks as good as my CZ PCR which is only a couple of months old. I know that there are several members here who are real CZ aficionados so here is my question. When did the name of this pistol change to the P-01?

The pistol I have is identical to a P-01, but does not bear the P-01 markings. See the attached photos of my pistol and a P-01. Because of the NATO stock number on the right side of the slide I know that it is the same model. If I had any doubts about the NATO number a CZ press release eliminated them. The press release says:
    February 2003
    The P-01 is now a NATO classified pistol and issued the NATO stock number NSN 1005-16-000-8619.
    This is the same number that is on the slide of my CZ 75 D and the P-01 in the attached photo. Of course I am also wondering if not having the P-01 marking makes it any more valuable?
    Attached Images
    Blake

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I could be wrong on this, but, I think the P01 has an aluminum frame, and the 75 has a steel frame. They are great guns from all I've read....Congrats!

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

My understanding is that the CZ 75 P01 is the North American version of the CZ 75D Compact. I don't know why some are not stamped as P01 here in the US. Possibly due to the availability of parts. As a result, some will be stamped as a CZ 75D Compact, but still have the NATO number stamped on the frame. Besides the naming difference, it is exactly the same gun.

I just bought one, and it is stamped CZ 75 P01. It also has the manufacture's year stamped on the frame indicating 2010.

Note The CZ European website does not list a P01:
    http://www.czub.cz/en/catalog/79-pistols-cz/

The European version of the P01:
    http://www.czub.cz/en/catalog/79-pis...D_COMPACT.aspx

VIP Member
    As shiba925 said, it appears what you have is the European version of the P-01. My guess is it was probably purchased in Europe by someone in the military and sold upon return to the states. What is the year of manufacture on the gun. The 2 digits in the oval, just to the rear of the ejection port is the year the gun was made.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I believe many of these were being sold by topgun supply last year.

I read in another forum that due to demand in the US they had to supplement the US-marked P-01's with the identical European-marked D's. Same gun, different target markets.

Just to clarify. The pistol has the alloy frame and has "CZ-USA KANSAS CITY, KS" on the right side of the slide. As far as I can tell it is identical to the P-01. I can understand the name change since the PCR says "CZ 75 D Compact" on the slide. PCR only appears on the label on the box and on the website. It does not appear on the pistol. The only difference between labeling on the slide is that the PCR says "CAL. 9 LUGER" and the picture above says "9 X 19". Evidently CZ changed the name of the American version with the rail to P-01 to avoid confusion. I was just wondering when the change took place. Searching the net has not revealed the answer yet.
    Blake

Quote Originally Posted by gdkenoyer View Post
    I read in another forum that due to demand in the US they had to supplement the US-marked P-01's with the identical European-marked D's. Same gun, different target markets.
    That almost makes sense except, when has anyone seen the demand in the US for CZs that great? It is possible though that at the end of '08 and during the last two years that there was a time when there were European marked pistols available to ship and no P-01 marked ones so CZ shipped the European marked instead.
    Blake

Your gun is 100% no doubt a P01. If it has the NSN on it there really is no debate. I happen to have the very same gun as you, which I purchased new around April 2010. The CZ box it came in states the model as the P01 even though there is no P01 stamping on the gun.

I have the same gun,love it by the way. As others here have said the P01/75D compact are the same exact guns. CZ simply rollmarks the slides differently based on the market the gun is intended for.

Hence the "9x19" instead of "9 Luger" markings,this is general what the 9mm is known as outside the U.S. And the NATO designation for the round. My gun is marked the same way on the slide it had "CZ 75D compact" and not P01 on it.

Same guns different rollmarks as my gun and your are the European versions,the nato stock number on the recover confirms this. So in short your CZ is a P01 just a european model.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I named the P-01 for CZ-USA and CZUB.

The guns are identical to those in CZech Republic military and police holsters, along with other guns that
    are outside the USA.

I'm not sure if Canada has the P-01.

The guns are equally as impressive as a P-01 or PCR which it replaced.

Also makes a damned nice looking poster!!

I'd like to add a 75D Compact to my collection sometime in the future.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

Links