Another benefit of the wheel gun?

This is a discussion on Another benefit of the wheel gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With the recent shootings in AZ and the media's (non unexpected) spot lighting of the gun used I have been thinking about another potential benefit ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another benefit of the wheel gun?

Another benefit of the wheel gun?

With the recent shootings in AZ and the media's (non unexpected) spot lighting of the gun used I have been thinking about another potential benefit of the wheel gun. Not so much the wheel gun it's self but if it had to be used in a defensive scenario. The benefit being it is NOT a evil black pistol. It's not a gangbanger death dealer or a crazy tea party hand cannon. It's a wheel gun. A gun that growing up through the years was always seen in the hands of GOOD guys being used to dispatch BAD guys. From John Wayne to Wyatt Earp. Every police detective in every 60's and 70's cop show carried one. It's can't be said that the user went out looking for trouble because they were armed with 19 rounds. It just seems like it's a lot harder to slant the wheel gun to a more evil persona. What do you think?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

Cool

As always you have very thought provoking posts. I believe you are correct in that the revolver would not be looked on as harshly as the "automatics" that the media refers to them as. I carry my SP-101 on occasion but it is backed up with a semi auto BUG. Jim Cirillo of the old NYPD Stakeout Squad would at times carry four (4) .38 cal revolvers while on duty. I like my "black guns". My P-35 Hi-Power is a design made before I was born. I see no real value in limiting ones ability to properly protect themselves and their loved ones by going with something that appears to be more "politically corrrect" whatever that is suppose to mean. Just my $.02.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Seems to me Rollo, that the anti-gun people will pick on ANY firearm, revolver or semi. I think to someone that is not familiar with guns, it makes no difference whatsover. I see the same reactions sometimes, whether I am carrying my 9mm or my .38 snubby. Doesn't matter.

I don't think there is a "good-guy" or "bad-guy" image based on what type of gun you have; especially for the uninitiated.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    I think you're being optimistic, Rollo.

The next tragedy that is committed with a wheel gun will draw the same attention to it as the Glock did.

Narrow-minded people tend to go myopic on the very specific thing that affronts them.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    With the recent shootings in AZ and the media's (non unexpected) spot lighting of the gun used I have been thinking about another potential benefit of the wheel gun. Not so much the wheel gun it's self but if it had to be used in a defensive scenario. The benefit being it is NOT a evil black pistol. It's not a gangbanger death dealer or a crazy tea party hand cannon. It's a wheel gun. A gun that growing up through the years was always seen in the hands of GOOD guys being used to dispatch BAD guys. From John Wayne to Wyatt Earp. Every police detective in every 60's and 70's cop show carried one. It's can't be said that the user went out looking for trouble because they were armed with 19 rounds. It just seems like it's a lot harder to slant the wheel gun to a more evil persona. What do you think?

Rollo,

I would have to agree to a point. Some of the other posters are correct with regards to the libs not giving a crap, but sometimes perception does matter. I have said this same thing about owning AK47's or shall I say com bloc guns. Though there is nothing wrong with them as they are great, there is a certain stigma attached to owning them.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    Sure, it might be looked upon as less of a monstrosity by some. But I'm not carrying to assuage the fears of that "some" - I'm carrying to save my life. In that capacity, I believe that the auto is generally superior to the revolver (not that the revo doesn't have other, more concrete, advantages as well).
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I have considered this in the past as well. Unfortunately I simply am not as good a shot with a wheel gun as I am with a semi-auto. But I do see the logical thinking in your point.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Hmmm...I dunno...

I'm old enough to remember "The .44 caliber killer." That was an eeeevil wheel gun.

There are indeed some that argue that revolvers and lever guns have less of a stigma attached to them. I suppose that could be true. Then again, those that are anti-gun will find something to latch on to...the caliber, the bullet type, the number of rounds, the size/concealability, the affordability ("cheapness") of the gun/ammo, the background check needed to buy one, the training needed (or not needed) by law, on and on and on...

I say buy the best tool for the job, and join the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network (shameless plug for an organization I belong to) and let them help with any unmeritorius prosecution you may face for doing what needed doing.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Just to clarify. I wouldn't pick wheel gun for this reason. I meant more along the lines of kind of a added bonus type of thing. Kind of like heated seats in a car. I would never buy a car BECAUSE it had heated seats but if it came with heated seats it would be a bonus. It's kind of the same reason why I would (Under normal circumstances) not reach for my AR-15 to dispatch a home invader. It's a VERY mean looking rifle with the light/stock/red dot/etc. There's a lot of other reasons I wouldn't reach for my AR but perception is one of them.

I guess that to me certain weapons have a more defensive "style" (That's not the word I was looking for but I can't come up with anything better) and others have a more offensive one. You won't see (or if you do I want to see the video) a swat team busting into a house carrying lever actions and snubbies :)
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Tried the heated seats once, felt like I peed my pants. Just not a big seller in S. FL.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    One of my favorite ignorant arguments about guns from anti's is that semi-autos "will fire as fast as you can pull the trigger" when in fact, only revolvers fit that description.

But I think anti's will seize on whatever else they can - it will be a "Dirty Harry" gun, it was cheap, it was easily available, the user had delusions of being a cowboy in the old west, etc....

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Guess you just put me into the tea party hand cannon category. At least my 625 sounds like one.:)
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Nothing wrong with wheelguns but who cares what the liberal anti-gun media thinks. They have an agenda and all they care about is trying to take our guns away. They don't care that there are over 80 million gun owners in this country who own have at least 4 firearms each who are law abiding citizens. If the lowlife would have driven his car thru the crowd of people last saturday and killed as many people that he shot they would be blaming him not the gun he used.

Quote Originally Posted by mj40p View Post
    Nothing wrong with wheelguns but who cares what the liberal anti-gun media thinks. They have an agenda and all they care about is trying to take our guns away. They don't care that there are over 80 million gun owners in this country who own have at least 4 firearms each who are law abiding citizens. If the lowlife would have driven his car thru the crowd of people last saturday and killed as many people that he shot they would be blaming him not the gun he used.

Exactly! I do kinda see where you are coming from Rollo, but don't think it goes quite that way.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    There are definitely some firearms that have a more negative public opinion than others such as the sawed off shotgun, any semi-automatic pistol, an AK-47 or an UZI sub-machine gun. Mainly because they have been used to commit terrible crimes around the World. Nonetheless, I think that in today's anti-gun World any firearm is viewed as negative but the wheel gun is the one that gets as close to a "good guy's gun" as possible.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links