Which BUG? Glock 27 or .38/.357 revolver?

This is a discussion on Which BUG? Glock 27 or .38/.357 revolver? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going through the class right now to become a Reserve police officer here in Jacksonville. On-duty, the issued primary is a Glock 22. We ...

View Poll Results: Which BUG?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 27

50 48.08%
  • .38/.357 revolver

54 51.92%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which BUG? Glock 27 or .38/.357 revolver?

I'm going through the class right now to become a Reserve police officer here in Jacksonville. On-duty, the issued primary is a Glock 22. We are allowed to carry a bug, and it can be a Glock 23, a Glock 27, or certain .38/.357 revolvers (still waiting to get a list of which revolvers are approved). I would likely also carry it when off-duty as well in a pocket or ankle holster, either as a primary or a backup to my personal Beretta .380.

Considering that, the G23 is already out - too big for pocket carry. That leaves the G27 or a wheel gun. I figure I'd only need the bug if I'm deep in the shat and the primary (G22/Beretta) jammed. (Yes, Glock fans, even Glocks jam. They're semi-autos. It happens.) Ammo cost doesn't factor in - the agency supplies it. It comes down to capacity/firepower versus reliability:

Glock 27:
    9+1 x .40 S&W
    + Fast reloads
    + Can use same magazines as the on-duty primary
    - Larger; harder to pocket/ankle carry
    - Semi-auto => failure to load, failure to extract, failure to eject are all possible

.38/.357 revolver:
    5 rounds
    + Smaller; easier to pocket/ankle carry
    + It's a revolver => not possible to have FTL/FTE issues that prevent firing
    - Slower reloads, even with a speed loader
    - Different ammo

For anyone about to post "Why not get an LCP/Kel-Tec/etc?", my choices are listed above. Your opinions are valid, but not helpful here since my choices are limited. Thanks!

In your situation, I would certainly go for the glock that uses the same ammo as your duty weapon. I also don't feel a .38/.357 revolver would be easier to conceal than the g27. That being said.. I would be comfortable with either as a BUG

Quote Originally Posted by RockStrongo View Post
    In your situation, I would certainly go for the glock that uses the same ammo as your duty weapon.
    +1.

It can also use the same magazine.

I have a friend who carries a 27 on his ankle daily. The reason being to him its natural he carries a 22 as well. Ammo and mag combatability are his main concerns. I carry a 642 daily not on my ankle but can only imagine it would be more comfortable. Im not familiar with reserve deputies but I assume you may find yourself in situations different than a private citizen.

I was in Law Enforcement for 8 years. Always had a Glock 22 as my regular sidearm. And a Glock 27 BUG. Worked great, The whole department had the same set up.
    NRA Life member:
    Maine Non Resident Permit
    New Hampshire Resident Permit
    Connecticut Non Resident Permit
    Utah Non Resident Permit
    Mass Non Resident Permit

VIP Member
    Either would work well. The G27 allows for the use of your spare mags, but if you are having a mag issue with the spare, that won't help. While the wheel gun will not FTF or FTE and it is not likely to jam, if it does, it is generally not field fixable, at least not quickly. I would ask the others on the force what they are using and why. It may be that one is easier to carry with the cop gear on.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Me being a revolver guy, I'll vote for the

...wait for it...

Glock. +1 to all previous comments.

My vote was for the wheel gun....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

If you can carry a BUG that has compatibility with your primary sidearm that is usually the way to go. I voted for the G27 because of that and I also don't like the way revolvers feel. I have shot those little back up wheel guns and was not impressed. I know there's some out there that like them and they do have there uses.
    Another plus is that the G27 has the same controls as your primary. If you're going to carry this off duty then I'd definately carry the G27, but not in the ankle or pocket carry that you mentioned.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    You carry a Glock 22, so it is best you carry a Glock 27 as a BUG since they are basically the same gun and can use the same ammo and magazines. Nonetheless, I think that ankle or pocket carrying a Glock 27 could be very uncomfortable so perhaps you should just carry your BUG on your weak side slightly behind your ammo. Great choice of BUG with the Glock 27. For off duty, I would carry the Glock 27 as your main carry and the Beretta .380 as BUG.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Glock 27 if you can carry it like this....http://www.bugpocket.com/
    My personal choice for on duty secondary gun is a S&W M&P 340 in .357 to compliment my duty G23

EDIT: The video is REALLY outdated
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO9489 View Post
    Glock 27 if you can carry it like this....http://www.bugpocket.com/
    My personal choice for on duty secondary gun is a S&W M&P 340 in .357 to compliment my duty G23
    That's awesome and it will be very helpful to police officers!!!!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Glock 27 fo' sure
    There ya go........

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    That's awesome and it will be very helpful to police officers!!!!
    I just doesn't help me out because I wear my vest in an outer carrier. It makes it easier for me to carry my secondary under my vest.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

As much as I like a J-Frame as a BUG, and I would be inclined to carry one as a third gun, my first BUG would be the Glock 27 for all the reasons listed.

Biker

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links