Taurus 605 Question

Taurus 605 Question

This is a discussion on Taurus 605 Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, so I ordered a Taurus 605 for concealed carry from a dealer in El Paso. When it arrived, I thought it looked a little ...

Thread: Taurus 605 Question

Taurus 605 Question

Ok, so I ordered a Taurus 605 for concealed carry from a dealer in El Paso. When it arrived, I thought it looked a little big, but didn't think too much of it. Now that I've gotten home and taken a ruler to the thing and compared with pictures, I've found that it is, in fact, bigger than what most sites show for a Taurus 605. Here are pics of my gun: P1121172.jpg

Here is the pic off of the Taurus website:

Mine has a 3 inch barrel and an overall length of 8 inches, vs the site listing a 2 inch barrel and an overall length of 6.5 inches.

So, can anyone explain to me what's going on here? Thanks much for any clarification.
    Last edited by JustinY2K; January 12th, 2011 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Figured posting my gun's serial number online was a bad idea

Your second picture appears to be a Taurus 605SS2, while your 605 appears to be in spec for a Taurus 605SS3.

I'm by no means a Taurus aficionado, so if someone could verify then it would be appreciated.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleipnir View Post
    Your second picture appears to be a Taurus 605SS2, while your 605 appears to be in spec for a Taurus 605SS3.

I'm by no means a Taurus aficionado, so if someone could verify then it would be appreciated.
    I am not a Taurus aficionado either, but I think that is correct.

The pictures can be wrong; the best is to read the specifications. Even if it was the dealer that made a mistake the problem is that you picked up the gun. I should talk to him and see what he says. Good luck.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    The guy ordered you the wrong size. Take it back if you can and make them get you what you want.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Three inch with the "combat" stocks, vs. 2 inch with boot grip. If it were me, I might just swap the grip for a smaller one.

Make sure it's a 605 by checking the model number on the frame inside the crane.

I learned something a long long long long time ago..... never tell a dealer you want XXXX mdl gun , tell them the specific Mfgr model # instead.
    Just as shown above, there are variations of the Mdl 605, be specific to avoid the problem with the Mfgr specific number for the one you want.

Sometimes they will try to convince you that the gun you want no longer exists or is made, and it is. I've had that happen several times with dealers, as they wanted to sell the one they had rather than the ordering you one like you want.

"Accepting" it and taking it home, means you accepted it 'as is' ..... so you may have to bargain with the dealer and maybe not, depends upon the dealer.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    When I enlarged the picture it looks like a Mdl. 65 or the larger 38. Maybe just a optical delusion because of the combat grips. I would take it back and ask ***.

Yours is a 605 just with the 3" barrel. Change out the grips to boot grips and you'll more than likely forget it even has a 3" barrel.

Links