Smith and Wesson 380 Bodyguard

This is a discussion on Smith and Wesson 380 Bodyguard within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, Question, if I were to get one today, have the little bugs been worked out that i've been reading about or should I ...

Hi all,

Question, if I were to get one today, have the little bugs been worked out that i've been reading about or should I wait?? thanks

Mine is an EAF serial number and has worked well. No FTF / FTEs so far, and it's surprsingly accurate. The laser buttons work easily.

I picked one up at a gun show for $349 OTD. Shot 150 rounds of FMJ through it (plus 5 Critical Defense to make sure it fed) over the weekend. Shot just fine...no failures. I was surprised how useful the laser was...able to quickly hit a target out to 10 yards from gun fighting stance (i.e. not fully aimed) no problem. Trigger took a little getting use to but perectly fine once you adjusted to it. The gun absolutely disappears for cover.

Only complaints (minor): Safety is a pain to engage...easy to disengage but not the other way. Laser takes practice to engage but no worse than learning a new safety on a new gun. Gun powder degrades laser after about 10 shots until you clean it off (Crimson Trace is further back so those lasers usually do not have the problem). Came with only one magazine.

I really liked it. Now I can trade my Piece of Crap Taurus PT709 Slim in for something useful.
    Human Beings understand Reason, Compassion, and Dignity

Predators understand Strength

How is the recoil? Im trying to think of a few for the wife to try. She is recoil sensitive. My keltec p3at was a little too much for her and bit her trigger finger. She wants to rent a Ruger LCR 38 next weekend, but she also saw a picture of the bodygaurd 380, but hasnt held one yet. The LCR trigger is pretty sweet for a DAO revolver. Glad it worked out for ya.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

I read, I think on the S&W forum that BG380's with a serial number EAD and up are good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by hihosilver View Post
    How is the recoil? Im trying to think of a few for the wife to try. She is recoil sensitive. My keltec p3at was a little too much for her and bit her trigger finger. She wants to rent a Ruger LCR 38 next weekend, but she also saw a picture of the bodygaurd 380, but hasnt held one yet. The LCR trigger is pretty sweet for a DAO revolver. Glad it worked out for ya.
    The BG380 recoil is noticeable but completely acceptable. It is top-heavier than the LCP so that acts as a counter-weight, mitigating upward recoil and leading to a decent sight reaquisition. The backward recoil is easy sinice it's a 380. Having said that, it is a bit snappy...after 100 rounds, I was ready for something else. I think that has to do with the fact that it is a two finger grip, lowering how much surface area the recoil is distributed over.

Anyway, IMO it is a very good weapon for a woman (I'm a man, btw) given it's combiniation of relative simplicity along with nice features (external safety and lock-back slide).

Quote Originally Posted by martino View Post
    Hi all,

Question, if I were to get one today, have the little bugs been worked out that i've been reading about or should I wait?? thanks
    Totally forgot to mention...my serial began EAH...no failure to returns or losing the take down lever (the two most commonly reported problems with the gun).

I love my BG380 it shoots like a dream

S and W Bodyguard 380

I have owned this for the past two weeks and have put apprximately 400 rounds through it. At first I was using some range .380 ammo from Serbia. I had numerous missfires which was really worrisome at first. I then switched to some Remington ammo and had no problems at all. It seems the Serbian ammo had hard primers from what I understood. The range that I shoot at has very low light and it was hard to see the front sight. I have adapted to a more point and shoot mentality so this was not an issue. I will have to figure out how to make the front sight more noticable. Maybe some white or flourescent enamel? The laser does take some practice to turn on when drawing but will be workable with practice and muscle memory. Right now I am carrying it in a iwb holster from Uncle Mikes which was very inexpensive and seems to work fine until I find something tuckable on my strong side. Any suggestions? I have read so many opinions as to the stopping power of .380 and have concluded that in a defensive situation , using a good sd brand of ammo and my ongoing practice for hitting center mass it will be the right concealed weapon for my needs. I have confidence that I made the right decision.
    Hope this helps.

I picked one up recently and finally got to shoot it. It worked as expected with several different brands of ammo. It is an EAJ ser # and while it's still far from wearing the "new" off of it, I am optimistic that I have made a good purchase. After carrying larger more cumbersome weapons I love it allready. Gonna start carrying it as of tomorrow.
    Be nice to people--they outnumber you 6.5 billion to 1

Links