Hickok45's Glock 19 Gen 4 review

This is a discussion on Hickok45's Glock 19 Gen 4 review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw this review of Hickok45's and figured I would share. This guy is a Glock fan boy, but is down to earth and I ...

Thread: Hickok45's Glock 19 Gen 4 review

VIP Member

Hickok45's Glock 19 Gen 4 review

I saw this review of Hickok45's and figured I would share. This guy is a Glock fan boy, but is down to earth and I trust his opinions. He shot just over 1,000 rounds of various ammo through this Gen 4 Glock 19.

I think his overall review was positive, but he had multiple on camera failures during testing. My personal opinion is that this firearm is reliable and there may have been a couple early hiccups. I still think that Gen 4's are not as reliable based upon the early track record and have a ways to go to stand up to Gen 3, M&P and XD's. Only time will tell, but this is just another data point as YMMV.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45?blend=1&ob=4
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

2. Remove Ads

kpw
    I watched this and part 2 the other day. He makes good vids. Even though they are long, he keeps them pretty interesting. There were 3 malfunctions, one each with Fed. Champion, UMC and WWB. He has the latest spring from Glock but it still seems a bit heavy for lightly loaded ammo. AE, Lawman, Blazer, S&B and Win. Nato all perked along great. You can see the difference in ejection with the different rounds.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

He's a good shot.

I probably have ~750 through my Glock 23 gen 4 with no problems encountered. Mostly range ammo. Some hollow points. I've used the gen 4 mags mostly but also a larger gen 3 mag. No issues.

I did have problems using the gen 4 mags in my gen 3 27 though. This is advertised to work supposedly, but didn't work so well for me.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    I watched this and part 2 the other day. He makes good vids. Even though they are long, he keeps them pretty interesting. There were 3 malfunctions, one each with Fed. Champion, UMC and WWB. He has the latest spring from Glock but it still seems a bit heavy for lightly loaded ammo. AE, Lawman, Blazer, S&B and Win. Nato all perked along great. You can see the difference in ejection with the different rounds.
    It may be the new recoil spring is just a touch harder to push back and those lighter loads don't have enough umph. WWWB or the cheap federal never impacted my Gen 2 G19 though, so it may have been a couple out of spec rounds?
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    It may be the new recoil spring is just a touch harder to push back and those lighter loads don't have enough umph. WWWB or the cheap federal never impacted my Gen 2 G19 though, so it may have been a couple out of spec rounds?
    I have a ton of Fed. Champion and WWB through my 3rd gen G19. Probably 90%, out of almost 2k through the M&P 9c and nearly the same in my G17 have been either of those 2 loads. All without issue. I always found WWB to be decent, cheap ammo that never felt particularly weak. I can't say the same for the Champion, it's always worked but feels pretty light in all three guns. I've heard WWB has had some quality issues lately but I haven't found any myself. I haven't bought UMC in years and don't plan to.
    Don't know for sure but I'm betting it's a combo of heavier spring and light loaded ammo. Might work itself out after the spring settles in a bit but Glocks shouldn't need a break in. I wish S&B ammo was as cheap around here as it used to be. I like the Gen 4 G19 and I'll probably get one this spring. Should be interesting.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

RKM
    I like watching his video's. He may be a Glock fan boy, but he's very open minded, and rarely has anything VERY negative to say about any gun. He just loves to shoot.

I think even Glock, like many manufactures that make any kind of product, as times goes on, they're quality may go down hill, unfortunately. I'm not saying it has, but it's not uncommon for this kind of thing to happen. I wouldn't say the Gen4 is unreliable due to a few failures in 1000 rounds. As time goes on and the Gen4's get used harder and harder, then we'll know for sure. I will agree though, that I think Gen3 is the one to have.

Links