Medium frame revolvers

This is a discussion on Medium frame revolvers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I started off my handgun experience with wheel guns. To this day I carry a taurus 44 mag raging bull for 90% of the hunting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medium frame revolvers

Medium frame revolvers

I started off my handgun experience with wheel guns. To this day I carry a taurus 44 mag raging bull for 90% of the hunting that I do (though that has nothing to do with CCW) because I have confidence in wheel guns and my ability to shoot them.

However, for CC I have found myself always going to autos. Currently my primary carry weapon is a Kahr CW45. The problem is, that despite all the time I've spent at the range with my autos, I just don't have the comfort and confidence in them that I have in wheel guns. This is purely a personal thing and is in no way saying I feel wheel guns are superior to autos for everyone.

So, the problem I'm facing now, while wanting to try a wheel gun for CC is that the smallest wheel I have is a 4" barrel Taurus 627. Yes, if you've paid attention this far, I do like Taurus revolvers, and all of mine have been very solid guns. But, when comparing size of my CC autos such as the CW45, and sub compact XD9mm, there is obviously more to conceal with the 627 Taurus.

So, do you all have any recommendations for holsters to look into for concealing the Taurus 627 (7 shot, 357 mag)?

Or, do I need to look at picking up a snubby for a CC wheel gun? My wheels I have now have been used mainly for hunting, and recreational shooting, so I've never really had the need for a snubby. But, if it takes picking up a snubby to have a good, concealable wheel gun, then that's what I'll do to get the comfort and confidence level from my CCW that I'm looking for.

Thanks for any input!

2. Remove Ads

When I do carry a revolver which isn't often I carry a Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 spcl. I mention this because your a 44 shooter. If you reload the 44 spcl is a great self defense round. No need to worry about bullet performance as it is just a big slow moving pumkin roller.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I think your best options for a concealed carry wheel gun are a S&W 642/442, a Ruger LCR or a Ruger SP-101.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I don't find a medium frame 4" revolver all that difficult to conceal in a OWB pancake type holster (and a good belt), but then I'm also not all that worried about printing or any such nonsense. Pull my shirt tail or jacket down over the gun and go on about my business. Sure a small frame, short barrel gun is easier to hide, but a "K" frame gun isn't that much bigger.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Cool

I don't often carry wheel guns for CCW but when I do I carry IWB in the appendix posistion and use the High Noon Mr. Softy holsters.

P18174701.jpg SP-101

I have a sourdough pancake for a S&W 686 4" and it holds real close to my side and can be used conventional or crossdraw.

http://www.simplyrugged.com/sourdough-pancake/
    Last edited by Old School; January 13th, 2011 at 12:51 PM.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I carry a 4inch s&w K frame model 19 almost every day. Like Cajunbass said, a pancake holster and a good gun belt is the way to go.

I love medium-framed revolvers best and don't care as much for the stunted, small-framed revolvers that are so popular these days.

I conceal a K-Frame Smith & Wesson in several holster designs: IWB, hi-rise, and shoulder holster models. Depending on attire and season of the year, one or the other of these model holsters is always appropriate. I'm unfamiliar with the Taurus Model 627 but an internet check with holster makers should turn up options for you.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    I often carry a smith model 66 snub IEB no problem.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Im also another K framer, I carry a S&W 65 with a 4" barrel at 11:00 in a IWB crossdraw. Its comfy and lets me access it even when driving easy. Still there are times I wish for a snubby, so honestly you might want to go with a snubby. But dont forget the love for the longer barrels, also BUGs are useful.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I have found a few different IWB holsters, so that part of the deal shouldn't be a problem. I will also likely pick up an OWB, pacake type holster that I can use during this time of year where better cover garments and typically a coat of some sort is being worn for concealment. I have been eyeballing the LCR for pocket carry, so I may well pick one of them up.

With the cw45 i've been carrying I have 7 rounds of 45acp ready to go, so if I can carry the 627 with 7 shots of 357 mag I definitely do not feel i'll be giving up anything. The addition of the LCR would go well with either (CW45, xd, or 627) I suppose. In the heat of summer it (the LCR) could be used as my only carry gun I suppose, but hopefully I can try a couple of different configurations with the 627 where it can stay with me in those times as well.

Thank you all for the input!

K frame S&W snubbies

I have short barrel revolvers, mainly S&W, in several sizes. I find that I like the K frame snubbies (2.5 inch barrel) best for concealed carry. At normal defensive distances these guns are as accurate as the longer barrel revolvers, and they have enough weight to handle .357 ammo easily. The triggers are so good that double action shooting is plenty accurate, and the round butt grips don't print on cover garments. In an OWB pancake holster they ride high on the belt and won't peek out below the cover garment.

The models 19, 66, 13 and 65 are all good candidates.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Probably the best choice of all pogo2.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

As usual, pogo2 shows up with the good stuff
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Probably the best choice of all pogo2.
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    As usual, pogo2 shows up with the good stuff

^^^^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Or the Ruger 101 .357 with a 3in barrel.

Gives you a good excuse to go buy another .357 .
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Nothing wrong with a good K-frame. I carry my 66-1 2.5" and 10-5 2" all the time in one of my The Slide OWB holsters.

Here is the 66:
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links