Single Stack 9mm choices

This is a discussion on Single Stack 9mm choices within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; S&W CS9 (my wife's pistol) or a Kahr MK9, my next pistol. Skip the Kel-Tec and Taurus (Pure Junk from Personal Experience)....

View Poll Results: Which single stack 9mm would you choose?

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kahr K9 Elite

39 16.39%
  • Walther PPS

57 23.95%
  • Kahr CW9

52 21.85%
  • 2 Keltec PF9's

38 15.97%
  • Ruger LC9

34 14.29%
  • Taurus 709 Slim

18 7.56%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Single Stack 9mm choices

S&W CS9 (my wife's pistol) or a Kahr MK9, my next pistol.

Skip the Kel-Tec and Taurus (Pure Junk from Personal Experience).
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I voted for the Kahr K9. I have one so I'm biased. I haven't shot the Walther PPS but I do have the P22 and find the mag release (bottom of trigger guard) to be intuitive, however, I don't like the backstrap safety (when it's out the gun is in-operable). I know it'll never be a problem but the only safety I can stand on a gun is on a 1911 (grip and thumb). I'm also not too keen of any design that uses a mag extension for the hand.

Having said that, the PPS feels good in the hand.

Now the Kahr. I like that his has no controls or safety other than a slide release. A very GOOD thing for a carry gun. I love the grip on the K9's. Doesn't catch clothes but feels better in the hand than any other gun I've held. The DAO trigger on the Elite is simply the best DAO out there. I love the night sights and the weight is perfect. Hardly any recoil at all and with a good belt and leather it carry's well. Mine is VERY accurate.

If you get it and like it, you can get the front strap checkered and then have the gun coated in black. Nice but not cheap. I also have an all black P9 and LOVE that gun too but it can get a wee bit snappy with hot loads. I'd take the P9 or K9 over the economical CW9 any day of the week for the very reasons you mentioned. there are some nice differences in looks, the slide, the barrel that are worth the extra when you consider how long you'll have it.

I DON'T like the new Ruger 9 because of the mag diconnect but admittedly that's a very nominal issue.

You said you have big hands, for that reason alone I too would encourage you to look at the Sig. It's a wonderful weapon. I found it a just a hair too thick in the grip for me but I have very small hands. The extra .2 inches does make a difference but you should at least consider it considering your size!

Gideon

I'm surprised you didn't mention a Sig. I like my P225 (not P6). I've had it for many years and it has served me well. I prefer to carry a compact Wilson 1911 in .45 these days.
    225th SAC "Phantom Hawk" - US Army - Vietnam 1969-70

I voted CW9 because it is "one" of my single stack 9's. You didn't include my favorite PM9 on the list.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I voted for the cw9 only because the p9 was not there. I carry the p9 and have well over 1000 rounds through it without a single glitch. I realize a lot of folks (including myself) really like the all steel gun over polymer, but I find the lighter weight of the p9 more of a motivation to always be armed. It no doubt has a little more snap when fired, but it is very slight and certainly manageable. Interesting poll by the way and as always I learned a lot. Thanks

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Not on your list but something to consider is the 9x18 Makarov don't know if you have ever looked at them or if you would ever consider one but that is the only gun I own that will never be sold and gets carried more than my other options.

I know you said loved the trigger but thought the pm9 was too small. I added a grip extension and by getting my third finger around the gun it makes a big difference. I really like mine.

IMG_0175.jpg

RTK
    I think that Kimber is going to introduce a compact single stack 9mm at the 2011 Shot show next week.

RTK

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Now the Kahr. I like that his has no controls or safety other than a slide release. A very GOOD thing for a carry gun. I love the grip on the K9's. Doesn't catch clothes but feels better in the hand than any other gun I've held. The DAO trigger on the Elite is simply the best DAO out there. I love the night sights and the weight is perfect. Hardly any recoil at all and with a good belt and leather it carry's well. Mine is VERY accurate.
    I agree - there have been very few guns I have picked up that felt as "right" in my hand as the K9. Excellent grip, excellent size. I know the longer trigger pull would be something I'd have to get used to, but nothing I can't handle after a few hundred rounds of practice.

I suppose it's time for me to take a serious look at the PPS, too. I know the K9 and PPS aren't the most similar guns on my list, yet those are the 2 I've narrowed it down to. The K9 is just beautiful and is reliable, but some practicality for carrying it gets taken away because of the weight. The PPS seems all-around practical and very reliable. This is going to be hard one, but I'll let you guys know what I decide. Thanks for all the help.

Ex Member
    None of the above. Sorry!

GunKeen,

I traveled down this exact same path just last year. I spent countless hours on manufacturers websites, forums, and in gun shops comparing dimensions, weights, and overall feel/operation before deciding on THE one gun. I'm 6' 2", heavier than you, and have large hands (XL-XXL gloves). I had pretty much the same criteria as you, but most importantly, I wanted a quality firearm that I was going to keep for a very long time. I ended up with a barely used Kahr K9. It really is a pleasure to shoot/carry and I could not be happier with my decision. The only changes that I have made to it were to install smooth wood grips and XS Express big dot sights. There is nothing else it needs and I am completely satisfied.

FYI, the only difference between the Kahr K9 Elite trigger and a regular K9 trigger is 1/8" difference in pull. The Elite's trigger pull is 3/8" and the standard K9's pull is 1/2". The consensus at KahrTalk is that the difference between the two is negligible and hard to distinguish.

Glock 36 .45 even better

The new LC9 is on myshort list when it comes out. My SR9c is thin and very easy as my EDC. You might want to check on out in person as it feels great to shoot.

Lateck,

I've handles them all and shot most. Regardless of price, I would choose the PF-9.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Datsun40146 View Post
    Just FYI but the S&W 3913 has been called one of the best single stack 9mm guns out there. You might want to give them a look.
    Dittos to that! I gotta get me some new grips though - still have the gray ones on mine. I have fired many thousands of rounds through mine since 1991 - it has not misfired once, with all sorts of ammo, factory and handloads. Carry it every day, soon will have a dilemma once my SW MP 40c is done with its 500 round "testing period" (self-imposed).
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links