Single Stack 9mm choices

This is a discussion on Single Stack 9mm choices within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm in the market for a single stack 9mm that I'll be carrying. I've got a few criteria that have narrowed down my choices. First ...

View Poll Results: Which single stack 9mm would you choose?

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kahr K9 Elite

39 16.39%
  • Walther PPS

57 23.95%
  • Kahr CW9

52 21.85%
  • 2 Keltec PF9's

38 15.97%
  • Ruger LC9

34 14.29%
  • Taurus 709 Slim

18 7.56%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Single Stack 9mm choices

Single Stack 9mm choices

I'm in the market for a single stack 9mm that I'll be carrying. I've got a few criteria that have narrowed down my choices. First, I don't want something "bulky" - with what I do for work I can't have something wider than 1 inch. (call me a geek but I actually cut wood down to 1", 1.25, and 1.5" widths and stuck em IWB for a day each to see how they felt with my daily routine) Secondly, I don't want too small, for example PM9 size. I stand at 6'3" 190 lbs, so my hands are big, but not beefy. I shot the PM9 a couple months back - loved the trigger but it didn't feel natural in my hands because it was too small.

Also, money is not much of a factor (within reason) because I look at each gun purchase as a very practical investment in something I will never get rid of. Plus, if there's anything I've learned from reading this forum for the last few months, it's that there are a lot of guys that regret getting rid of one gun or another.

I'm leaning toward the Kahr K9 Elite (wish it came in black) right now but am still debating. I loved the trigger on the PM9, which is the same as the K9 Elite trigger. I'm also intrigued by the all stainless steel which makes it heavier, but more pleasant to shoot. I've heard complaints about both Walther and Kahr reliability, but those heavy complaints seemed to end a couple years back and now we just have the "residue" from those issues still on our minds.

My Dad has a Walther P99 and it's had one problem after another, so I'm already a little hesitant to go for the PPS although I know it's a great gun. I guess when you encounter a problem with a gun-maker it's hard to overcome the fear of more problems. We'll see how you guys vote, but I have a feeling this may come out the winner.

I know the LC9 is not widely available yet, but enough of you guys are familiar enough with Ruger's LCP that I think you can make a pretty educated decision as to whether or not this will be a good handgun.

I can get 2 PF9s for the price of almost any of these guns, so that's why I said "2 Keltec PF9's" on the poll. I put the Taurus 709 Slim and the Kahr CW9 on there to add more variety.

If Glock had a single stack 9mm there wouldn't be a poll because I'd already have my decision. Things like H&K USPc and the old Sig P225 came close, but I still don't think they are quite small (thin) enough.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    It is .2" wider than what you specified you wanted, but you should really check out the Sig P239. Here is a link to this gun.

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/Sho...9&productid=71
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    You mentioned the PM9, but left it out of the poll?

I have a PF9 with no complaints regarding performance, but it is rough as a cob, and needs to be wiped down frequently to keep the rust off.

The new Sig and Ruger may prove to be great, but I'm not an early adopter (generally).

If I were to choose again, I'd get the PM9.

I wish I would have listened to those who told me about the PPS in the first place. I have owned a Kel-Tec PF-9, and Kahr PM9, and now currently own the Walther PPS. This Walther will NEVER be sold. It is by far the most accurate, recoil pleasant little 9mm that I have ever shot. Personally I am not a Glock fan, but this thing really is a Glock that's half as thick. And it conceals as easy as the small 380s, but of course you get the 9mm instead. Do yourself a favor, heed my advice, and buy a Walther PPS. You will not be disappointed.
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

My CCW is the PPS in 9mm, it has been a very reliable weapon. I am built like you, 6'2" 195 and the gun is very easy to conceal and comfortable to carry, now I don't have any experience with the other contenders so I am not in anyway comparing. The interchangeable back strap on the Walther is a very nice feature as it lets you custom tailor the gun to your hand, the down side is that I had to buy the extended 8round mag (actually 2) at $50 a pop (ouch!) so that my pinky wasn't hanging off the grip. I find the trigger pull is smooth and crisp, it is well balanced and as with most 9mm's recoil is manageable, great all around gun.
    "Change that you can truly believe in comes from the barrel of a gun"
    WWW.MOLONLABEGUNFORUM.COM

I love my PPS and would recommend it for sure. I've never had an issue with it through 750 rounds.

I carry an MK9 a lot. Someday I would like to pick up a K9. The inch(ish) difference in height, length and rubber grip would be nice for control. If you wear it on a belt the weight wont be a big deal.

The stainless Kahr's are very nice pistols.
    Last edited by zero; January 13th, 2011 at 04:16 PM.

Have you considered the upcoming Sig P290? I'm also in the market and this is on my radar.

Are you dead set or limited to 9mm? If not the Ruger SR40 would be worth a look, although 1.27" wide.
    "Change that you can truly believe in comes from the barrel of a gun"
    WWW.MOLONLABEGUNFORUM.COM

If you are familiar with the manual of arms of the 1911's then the Taurus PT709 will be similar. I have one and like it very much. It has been very reliable. I hope this helps. God Bless

I voted CW9 because I do carry one frequently. 8 ounces lighter than the K9 Elite gets my nod, and mine has been flawless in function.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I've had a 9mm PPS for almost two years. It's an outstanding handgun -- accurate and reliable.

I've put about 1500 rds. of various fmj and jhp rds. through it with zero malfunctions.

The PPS requires no break-in period and is very easy to disassemble for cleaning. It's a winner.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

kpw
    The steel Kahrs are great little guns. Thin, still relatively light and they are extremely comfortable to shoot for such a small package By far my favorite Kahr pistols. For a single stack 9mm carried on the hip, it get's my vote by a large margin.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Just got a used K9 last week and I must say I am enjoying it. It's only downside is the weight, but with a good holster/belt it is fine. I also like the feel and durability of a steel gun. The grip also is surprisingly comortable for such a small gun (I'm 6-2/230 with large hands and it doesn't feel odd at all) I had the CW9 and it functioned flawlessly, but I never liked the gun. It just felt a little cheap. I realize that isn't a substantive criticism, but it's just how I felt. When I hold the K9, I feel like it will last longer than me. I carry a Glock 19 when I have a good cover garment, but my plan is to get a tuckable appendix holster for the K9 with a good dress gun belt for when I have to wear business casual.
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Walther PPS. I have a Walther P99 and it is awesome but I am also getting a PPS...what a beauty!!!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links