Ruger GP-100 .327 Fed Mag

This is a discussion on Ruger GP-100 .327 Fed Mag within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While it is everyones choice, I do not carry "J" frame, lightweight or sub 3" revolvers, so recoil has never been an issue....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruger GP-100 .327 Fed Mag

While it is everyones choice, I do not carry "J" frame, lightweight or sub 3" revolvers, so recoil has never been an issue.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    It's a simple argument. The "KING OF THE STREET" vs "the new kid on the block". I think I'll stick with the King.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by itschuck View Post
    Now it doesnt compare to Buffalo Bore's 180grn hardcast LFN, but then again out of a scandium j frame Im not sure I would want to shoot it either. Its a step above the 32 H@R and from what I have seen penetrates well. So for those that are sensitive to recoil it would be a good choice. Also that SW model 632 matte silver finish with the fluted barrel is a looker! Notched night sights are a plus too.
    A regular loaded .38 special is a step above a .32h&r. One more round in a J frame is the only advantage .327 has, that is offset by lack of ammo and weapon selection. Reminds me of 45gap.

ntg
    Read what the writer is actually saying, the key is in the sentence before he uses the nebulous term "hottest". The key is he's talking about pressure. Max psi allowed on the .327 is 45k, the .357 is 35k, and the .44 is 36k I believe. Pressure in a cartridge does not necessarily make it more powerful. Pressure is necessary, but high pressure can be a challenge when reloading as it will spike really fast in some cartridges. I'm heading off on a tangent.

Anyway, look at the over all data, and ballistic by the inch (see links above) is helpful. IMO the .327 is nothing to frown at. It's similar to a .357sig comparing 115gr bullet weights. Can it be as powerful as the .357 mag, NO. I think it has a lot going for it. Will it stand the test of time...that is a question for another topic and day.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

ntg
    I got to thinking I remember Mr. Quinn summing things up on this round so here's the link if you're interested: http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SP101-327.htm

Yes, he's just another writer and we know how they are, but he does a good job of providing evidence and good handloading data for those interested.

I think the .327 has a good place as a SD round for those who don't want the recoil of .357mag, but more than a .38.

I would be interested to know the opinion and views of someone who has shot it and the .357(and the .38) in the same handgun, and ideally all at the same range session.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I'm sure it has it's merits. I am guilty of looking at everything as a suspect. I can see where it would be good in the j frame, extra capacity. There just something about I can't warm up to.
    Maybe because .327 is a smaller number than .357? Just guessing.

Hey, I wouldn't shy away from it... But like many, I sure as heck haven't warmed up to it yet either. I'll wait for real world reports of it's use on real world bad guys.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by alexcantslee View Post
    Does anyone make a .327 snub yet and how would it compare to other calibers with a short barrel?
    Charter Arms makes a .327 snub.

I have had a Ruger SP101 with a 3 inch barrel in .327 for a while now. I like it a lot, but make no mistake, full up 100gr or 115gr loads are not light recoil by any stretch of the imagination at around 500 ft-lbs. Nevertheless, this is what my wife shoots at the range. It packs a punch and it's accurate.

Recently I picked up the Charter Arms .327 snub at an auction. MOTHER-OF-GOD that thing hurts to shoot!

One of the reasons to own a revolver is nostalgia.

.357 mag: The stuff that legends are made of
    .327: isn't that a Chevy motor?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40OD View Post
    Here are some photos fo the article
    OK, the photos prove the point that I was making: You misquoted the article. It did not say that the .327 has 17% more power than the .357, as you stated.

Besides, there are .357 loads that will produce over 600 ft lbs of energy from a 4 inch barrel. Double Tap has a 125 gr JHP load that will even exceed 700 ft lbs.

So the article's evaluation of the .357 Magnum being only a 580 ft/lb energy gun is on the low side. For one can actually buy more powerful ammo than that.

I think that the .327 Federal Magnum has a lot going for it. There is no need to exaggerate its abilities and say that it is more powerful than a .357.

With the 4.2 inch barrel on your gun, it is going to develop excellent velocity. And you will have 7 rounds available too, in just a medium frame gun. And in a heavy gun like your 40 oz GP-100, recoil of the .327 is going to be very easy to handle. So fast, accurate follow up shots are going to be much easier. And that is a great advantage to have.

Last edited by LanceORYGUN; January 15th, 2011 at 08:21 AM.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by itschuck View Post
    They are close, the edge going to a 357. But with less recoil than a 357 the edge goes to a 327.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/327mag.html

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html

And a Kinetic energy calculator

http://www.firearmexpertwitness.com/...s/calcnrg.html
    Well, that website does not include many hot .357 Magnum loads. No loads from either Double Tap or Buffalo Bore are included. As I mentioned earlier, the .357 can be loaded over 600 ft/lbs, and even over 700 ft lbs in its hottest loads.

That said, I think that the .327 Magnum does indeed serve a need. It is going to match or outperform the best .40 S&W or .45 ACP ammo in energy. And the lower recoil will be a plus in smaller frame revolvers like the S&W J frame. I would never want to shoot or own a .357 J frame revolver. The .327 Magnum, though, is a great solution for these smaller guns.

It is just like the .357, though, in that the shorter the barrel is, the more you cripple the ballistics. I would definitely not get the gun with a barrel less than 3 inches. If carrying in a traditional holster, I would even want it in a 4" gun.

Cool caliber for a variety of uses, and fun for the reloader too. Actually fills a niche between a .22 and a .357, but as smarter folks have previously said, does not equal the .357. But it would be a great kit gun, target/fun gun, and would probably put nasty holes in bad guys too. Bird shot for rats and snakes ?
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post

I think that the .327 Federal Magnum has a lot going for it. There is no need to exaggerate its abilities and say that it is more powerful than a .357.

With the 4.2 inch barrel on your gun, it is going to develop excellent velocity. And you will have 7 rounds available too, in just a medium frame gun. And in a heavy gun like your 40 oz GP-100, recoil of the .327 is going to be very easy to handle. So fast, accurate follow up shots are going to be much easier. And that is a great advantage to have.

+1, No reason for me to re-type these excellent points.

It is just like the .357, though, in that the shorter the barrel is, the more you cripple the ballistics. I would definitely not get the gun with a barrel less than 3 inches. If carrying in a traditional holster, I would even want it in a 4" gun.
    And I also agree completely with that, but be careful, every time I've brought that fact up I get flamed
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links