Ruger GP-100 .327 Fed Mag

This is a discussion on Ruger GP-100 .327 Fed Mag within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought one in Dec and I have to say I love this revolver! This thing is sweet and according to the new Personal Defense ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger GP-100 .327 Fed Mag

I bought one in Dec and I have to say I love this revolver! This thing is sweet and according to the new Personal Defense magazine it says it has 17% more power and less recoil then a .357mag…

Page 35 of the Personal Defense 2010 Fall /Winter edition…

Is the lower recoil due toa faster moving bullet? Like the gun doenst have time to move before the bullet is away so the perceived recoil is less? I've been curious about the .327, my concern so far has been that I havent seen ammo on the shelves yet.

Does anyone make a .327 snub yet and how would it compare to other calibers with a short barrel?
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40OD View Post
    I bought one in Dec and I have to say I love this revolver! This thing is sweet and according to the new Personal Defense magazine it says it has 17% more power and less recoil then a .357mag…

Page 35 of the Personal Defense 2010 Fall /Winter edition…

The .327 Federal Mag has 17% more power than a .357 Magnum? You obviously must be misquoting here.

Could you scan this page with this statement and post it here as a JPG image?

They are close, the edge going to a 357. But with less recoil than a 357 the edge goes to a 327.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/327mag.html

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html

And a Kinetic energy calculator

http://www.firearmexpertwitness.com/...s/calcnrg.html
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Guys, don't let the numbers fool you. The 327 is still not in the same league as the 357 magnum. No way. The 327 is the perfect answer to a question that was never asked.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Guys, don't let the numbers fool you. The 327 is still not in the same league as the 357 magnum. No way. The 327 is the perfect answer to a question that was never asked.
    I think it's a great woodswalking and varmint cartridge.

Since it's new and to the best of my knowledge, no one has been shot with one, it's certainly unproven.

But three things make it an interesting possibility for defensive use, I think.

1. You can get six rounds in a J-frame revolver instead of 5.

2. While the diameter is small, it should still expand well, so if you're willing to trade a small bit of expansion for the extra round, I think that evens out.

3. The sectional density of the 115-gr. .327 round is .169, which is pretty close to that of a 230-gr. .45 ACP at .162 and the 180-gr. .40 at .16. That, combined with gel testing I've seen, suggests that the round will be a very deep penetrator.

You're sure right that it's not a .357 magnum, but it could be a J-frame gun with six shots and equivalent power to a 9mm +P+ load, which is nothing to sneeze at.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

We shall see. I agree with the SD , but of course SD always favors the smaller bullet. There is a point, however, of diminishing returns when the bullet weight and or velocity get out of whack. It might prove fine, but I see no benefit in it over a +p heavy 38 other than one more round and energy.

I think it could have value, such as a six shot J frame, as stated.

When you compare the .327 to the .357 using "old school" .357s such as BB instead of todays down loaded .357s the difference is significant. Close to 25%.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Here are some photos fo the article
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    When you compare the .327 to the .357 using "old school" .357s such as BB instead of todays down loaded .357s the difference is significant. Close to 25%.
    My thoughts exactly.
    Those of us that favor the "old school" loads in "The King of the Street" caliber can easily see that the .327 is not comparable to the legend of old.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by alexcantslee View Post
    Is the lower recoil due toa faster moving bullet? Like the gun doenst have time to move before the bullet is away so the perceived recoil is less? I've been curious about the .327, my concern so far has been that I havent seen ammo on the shelves yet.

Does anyone make a .327 snub yet and how would it compare to other calibers with a short barrel?
    Recoil is simply the opposite and equal reaction of launching a bullet in the opposite direction, along with some wasted energy that doesn't go towards accelerating the bullet.

Force = mass * acceleration. What you perceive as felt recoil is the acceleration. "Actual" recoil is the force. As you can see, this is why a heavier gun has less felt recoil, all other things being equal.

I'm sure it has it's merits. I am guilty of looking at everything as a suspect. I can see where it would be good in the j frame, extra capacity. There just something about I can't warm up to.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I'm sure it has it's merits. I am guilty of looking at everything as a suspect. I can see where it would be good in the j frame, extra capacity. There just something about I can't warm up to.
    Once again I agree .

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I think it could have value, such as a six shot J frame, as stated.

Now it doesnt compare to Buffalo Bore's 180grn hardcast LFN, but then again out of a scandium j frame Im not sure I would want to shoot it either. Its a step above the 32 H@R and from what I have seen penetrates well. So for those that are sensitive to recoil it would be a good choice. Also that SW model 632 matte silver finish with the fluted barrel is a looker! Notched night sights are a plus too.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

It doesn't compare to the 357 mag in any real 357 mag full power loading, regardless of bullet weight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links