Sig Sauer

This is a discussion on Sig Sauer within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For a while I was bouncing back and forth between 1911s and Sigs. Since my wife is not really into guns and my youngest is ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sig Sauer

For a while I was bouncing back and forth between 1911s and Sigs. Since my wife is not really into guns and my youngest is getting to the age where I might be able to talk the wife into letting me take him to the range, I figured I should standardize on one platform. I now have four "classic" Sigs in my carry rotation. Two of mine are marked "Made in Germany" the other two "Made in W. Germany". I am not the original owner of any of them.

My first is a "KA" vintage P226 with Robar NP3 on the slide and frame. Incredible trigger, ridiculously accurate. But sometimes it is a little bigger, or a little thicker than I want.
    My second is a "KF" vintage P228 two tone. A little smaller than the P226 so a little easier to conceal with certain outfits, but with Mec-Gar magazines as much capacity as the P226 from the factory. The heft and balance are superb. I thought the P226 was the ultimate until I picked this up.
    My third is "KA" vintage P220 I picked up at a local pawn shop. It is a great pistol. When things get cold and people start wearing stuff that might plug a hollow point, this is my primary carry pistol.
    My fourth is a "KF" vintage P225 I bought from the Certified Pre Owned program throught a local dealer. Looks brand new. This is the one I go to when a full size is too big and anything double stack is too fat. It is a little small for my hands, but still very comfortable and very accurate for me.

Even though they have great triggers out of the box, they can be improved upon slightly. A little TW25B grease turns great to fantastic. With the NP3 the P226 has a fantastic trigger dry, and with the grease it is ridiculous. I have had 1911's as accurate or as reliable as my Sigs but never one that was both at the same time. They are expensive, but I think they are worth every penny.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

2. Remove Ads

i carry a 40 cal 229. it's a bit thick, but i use a galco N3 IWB and it works fine for me. i'm looking into getting a MTAC for it, which i've read is a more comfortable IWB.

VIP Member
    229fornow:

If you want a comfortable IWB holster, look no further than the CrossBreed SuperTuck. It's the most comfortable IWB I've found, and the companies customer service is second to none.

Sorry of the thread jack
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I have a P220R Elite Carry in stainless and it's one sweet gun to shoot but... honestly, it's too dang heavy for me to carry. I'm 5' 11" and 225lbs. It's a lot of gun!

Beautiful guns. I suppose though it's all a matter of what you get used to. I'm 5'10" and about 200 lbs and have carried either a 226 or 220 for twenty years. I don't find the too heavy to carry.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePapa1 View Post
    Beautiful guns. I suppose though it's all a matter of what you get used to. I'm 5'10" and about 200 lbs and have carried either a 226 or 220 for twenty years. I don't find the too heavy to carry.
    BUT! The P220R Elite Carry in Stainless is heavier (39.1oz unloaded!) than the standard P220R (30.4oz), and to me it feels a lot heavier when carried. I can carry the P220R Carry all day, no problem but when I switch to the Elite Stainless I can hardly keep my drawers up!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    SIXTO has a good point about the three best fighting autopistols.

My P220, an early one with the heel-clip magazine release, was flawless in its performance. It was my 24/7 pistol, carried in my police duty holster and concealed on my own time. Sometimes, the mag release would snag on patrol car seat cushions, so I sold this P220, with the intention of buying a P220 with a push-button "American-style" magazine release, only to find that SIG changed the shape of the whole grip frame, so that current P220 pistols do not point well in my hand, nor have the "feel" that I like. I liked the pointability and feel of the P226, P228, and P229, but my index finger couldn't get onto the trigger properly for a DA pull, so I drifted away from SIG for over a decade.

In 2004, I saw a brand new, recently-introduced P229R DAK, which I saw had a factory "short" trigger, and asked to handle it. It was one of those "eureka" moments, and I kicked myself for not seeking an opportunity to handle a SIG with a short trigger years earlier, or tried one of the excellent aftermarket TJ Customs triggers contoured to work better with folks not blessed with long Teutonic fingers. The first time I fired this P229 was on my PD's qual course, and I fired a score in the low 90's, better than I had scored with a Glock G22 in 2.5 years of trying. (I have hand-fit issues with Glocks.) Within a short time, I was shooting this and other P229 pistols more consistently better than I had normally shot 1911 pistols, which had previously been my benchmark autopistols regarding accuracy.

I now have five P229 pistols, all .40, made during the 2004 to 2008 time window, and none of them have malfunctioned. Two are SAS models, which refers to SIG Anti-Snag, and two are limited-edition ST models with stainless steel frames, which makes them quite heavy, a bit of a burden to carry, but a joy to shoot. The .40 S&W cartridge is my mandated duty ammo, a rule in place since 1997. The P229 was one of three primary duty pistols authorized in 1997. Other pistols were added later. We buy our own duty firearms at my PD.

I had one more P229, a two-tone, that only malfed a few times, minor failures to go into battery, when I tried a type of lube that dries, leaving a film of lubricant. I reverted to lube that stays moist, Wilson Ultima Lube, and had no more problems. I later learned, after joining Sigforum.com, that SIGs should only be run with oil or grease, never dry-film lubes. (Slide Glide is really hot among SIG lovers.) I traded this P229 toward one of the those I have now.

I thought I would stop buying P229s, at five, but yesterday I handled a P229 E2, and the E2 grip really mated well with my hand, particularly my left hand. The dealer put in on a 3-day hold for me, to give me time to decide what to trade toward it.

A big plus for the Sig P220. And I want to thank the folks who in the past had rendered opinions here on this forum for my decision to purchase the gun a few months ago. I really like the single action 1911 stuff. Love the single action trigger. So, I wasn't sure about the double/single action of the P220. But I find I really like it. T can handle the double action, love the single action. If you have one the the pipe, then drop the hammer and ya got instant single action.

The only thing is that it takes a strong hand to rack the slide, this is not a gun for a lady to set up. And it takes a strong hand to load all eight rounds into the magazine.

I was surprised at how smoothly the P220 shoots.

Although I can nicely conceal carry in a form fitting DeSantis holster, I am spoiled with my pocket carry .380.

I like a pistol with a hammer and the p220's de-cocker is slick. Break down is super simple.

Question to add to my thread

Does anyone know the weights of the different color Recoil springs in the sig guns.

My full size P220 has a green one and my stainless Carry has a red one, any one know the Weight on these and are more colors?
    Thank all

This thread has turned better than I thought please keep it going.

Administrator
    The color coding on Sig springs is not for different weights, but to note what model/series/caliber that particular spring is for. I'm not sure how many different colors there are, but there are several. I suppose you can look at SKU numbers at Brownells if you are really interested. Anyway, remember that the painted end goes on the guide first.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I kinda love the Sig although I do not have one; a few friends do and they are outstanding. If I ever carry a pistol that is not a glock it would indeed be a Sig I think.... My last hand gun I bought was a GLock but the Sig was me second choice it just depended on the deal I could get at the gun show and a dealer made a good deal on the Glock throwing in a holster and two additional Mags with it making the final decision easy...

I am looking at the 220 SAS Gen 2. It looks like a nice piece that is easier to CC. Sigs are good pistols.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My son has an assortment of Sigs as well as Glocks, in every caliber from 9mm up to .45. The only one he's had a problem with at any time was a Glock 19, but in all fairness it had an aftermarket barrel and suppressor in it at the time. It was also drier than the Sahara. I've never had an issue while shooting any of his pistols. I've had one FTE in my Glock 30, on the second mag fired, and was clearly my fault.

Sigs cost more than I care to pay (I'm a cheapie), but I wouldn't hesitate to own and use one if it fell into my hands.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Armydad View Post
    ...Sigs are good pistols.
    And we just reduced three pages of responses to the very heart of the matter. Well done!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    And we just reduced three pages of responses to the very heart of the matter. Well done!
    It is official sig is top rate equipment.

Have Sigs...love Sigs....but as another guy said...too big for me to carry, even when it's says carry. Goin try the P290 when it hits town.

http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links