Sig Sauer

This is a discussion on Sig Sauer within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a 229 during the summer...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sig Sauer

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I carry a 229 during the summer
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

2. Remove Ads

I have a 226 and it's great, but my Sig p232 is a jamamatic

Quote Originally Posted by theskunk View Post
    I have a 226 and it's great, but my Sig p232 is a jamamatic
    The only reliability problems I've ever seen w/ the P230/232 is when the shooter doesn't have a high firm grip. I've heard that a weak recoil spring might contribute since it's a blowback, but I've only heard about it.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Excellent pistol. I have the P239 and love it. It shoots like a larger handgun and it is very reliable.
    I can't wait for the P290!

Quote Originally Posted by crabbys44 View Post
    The only reliability problems I've ever seen w/ the P230/232 is when the shooter doesn't have a high firm grip. I've heard that a weak recoil spring might contribute since it's a blowback, but I've only heard about it.
    The Sig 230 and Sig 232 are night and day. The 230 was hand crafted in Germany, and the 232 is CNC in Exiter, Conn. The 232 has a problem with machining on the breech face.

1951 - 2011
    Hello. I own a couple of SIG-Sauer P220's at the present time; one is a '91-vintage pistol, the other a currently-produced P220R. Both have proven themselves capable of extremely good accuracy if I can do my part and both have proven reliable. I would trust either for personal protection. I also owned a P220 "SIG-Anti-Snag" having the DAK action. It, too, never failed to function properly, shot to the sights and had plenty of mechnical accuracy built into it.

If interested, here are links to observations on these pistols:

P220 DAK Range Report

Comparing Two P220 45's

Best.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Single Action P220's ?? That is just so very wrong.
    Sorry, Lance, can't seem to find it in myself to be sorry for owning this beauty.

(Now, a DA 1911. That is just plain crazy. )
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by theskunk View Post
    The Sig 230 and Sig 232 are night and day. The 230 was hand crafted in Germany, and the 232 is CNC in Exiter, Conn. The 232 has a problem with machining on the breech face.
    Skunk,

My P232 was German made. Maybe you got one lemon from Connecticut, but that doesn't mean every P232 is junk. I'd wager that 95+% of P232 owners would swear by them. I've had 30-some handguns, and the P232 is one of the finest.

Regards,
    Jim

If the original poster was asking about the Sig P220 Equinox. I can attest that it is a beautifully crafted, accurately firing, reliable, handsome pistol.
    I own one and it is setup for my Home defense pistol, and my Sig P226 combat for range use. You will love it! period..

Pics of said pistols...

Rig until my raven concealment holster comes in...(currently have been waiting 3 months!)

Video shooting my P226 at the range. Sigs are Sweet sweet shooters IMO!

I had a P226 .40 and a P220 Equinox and loved both of them. the Equinox was IMO one of the best looking guns out there. They both use the same holster which I explained was a cost saving to my wife. No problems and very accurate for both.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Skunk,

My P232 was German made. Maybe you got one lemon from Connecticut, but that doesn't mean every P232 is junk. I'd wager that 95+% of P232 owners would swear by them. I've had 30-some handguns, and the P232 is one of the finest.

Regards,
    Jim

It seems I got a lemon P232.... The machining is third rate, and the gun is useless as a 'Carry gun'. When a 232 has a double feed, it is extremely dangerous, because there is no slide lock. It takes three hands to clear it.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I switched to a P220 "E" in 1991, from Colt Commander, for duty and off-the-clock concealed carry. (P220E is a collectors' term, applied after the fact, to earlier P220 pistols that used the older-style heel-clip magazine release.) It was a superb pistol, in all ways but one: when carried in the duty holster, the heel-clip magazine release would occasionally snag car seat cover fabric, causing a partial release of the magazine. I sold this P220 in 1993, to finance the purchase of a P220 with the push-button mag release system, only to find that SIG changed the whole shape of the grip, so that the newer P220 did not anchor as well into my hand's grasp, and the pointability had changed, so the new P220 pointed low for me.

So, I looked into the P226 and P229, which felt GREAT in my hands, and pointed well, only to find that with these wider-body double-stack pistols, my not-so-long index fingers could not reach the trigger well enough for a good DA pull.

Eleven years later, in 2004, I got to handle a P229R DAK, which had a "short" factory trigger. It was a eureka moment; I was holding perfection in my hands. After the first range session, I knew this would become my new duty pistol. It usually takes me a while, with a new pistol, to achieve good accuracy, but I shot the P229 better, right away, than I had ever shot a Glock in well over two years of trying. 500 rounds later, the P229 was riding in my duty holster, and my several Glocks were gone within a year.

I am not slamming Glock; they just don't fit me, and a grip-frame reduction will only solve one of three distinct fit issues I have with Glocks. Glocks served me well enough as duty pistols until I learned about short triggers for SIGs. (I work for a PD that mandates several DA .40 pistols for "primary duty" use, the G22 and P229 being two of the approved weapons at the time.)

I subsequently learned that an intermediate-reach trigger is best for me. Most of my SIGs now have TJ Customs triggers, available from TJ or through Brownells. Grayguns will grind and contour a factory trigger, an option I want to try sometime.

I was soon shooting the P229R DAK more consistently better than I had normally fired a 1911, standing on my hind legs, unsupported. The only weapon the P229R DAK could not "beat" in standing unsupported fire was a good medium/large-framed DA sixgun, and the difference was so small as to be insignificant.

By 2007, I had acquired several more P229 pistols, including a couple with stainless steel frames. One of these I was soon shooting as well as I had ever fired a 1911, from a solid, firm rest, at my usual indoor shooting range.

I am up to six P229 SIGs, half of them DAK, and half DA/SA. They have largely displaced my 1911 and revolvers for duty and concealed carry, except that I still use SP101 snubbies for back-up and some concealed carry. I am nostalgic for an old P220 "E" pistol, and have my eyes open for a nice pre-owned example, though handguns are taking a back seat to other priorities right now.
    Last edited by Rexster; March 8th, 2011 at 05:39 PM. Reason: typo and clarification

I carried a P220 for a few years.I also carried a P228.I like the older Sigs but I can not warm up to the newer ones.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I wanted to like the Sig 226, but it felt too heavy and blocky in my hand. I ended up with a H&K P-30 which I love, but I still get the Sig lust every so often. Mine will probably be the 225 polizi. A single stack in 9mm. for my shorter fingers.
    A while back, I bid on a Sig on Gunbroker that was the compact version made for the Air Force. (225 L?)
    They are pretty rare, and I hear the magazines are even rarer and expensive. So, I let it go, and now I'm regretting it. I want to say it was an 8 round single stack.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    I wanted to like the Sig 226, but it felt too heavy and blocky in my hand.
    If you ever get a chance to shoot a P226 that has Hogue aluminum grips on it, I highly recommend it. That's the way I have outfitted my P226s, and it makes a huge difference to my small hands. The new E2 design is also much nicer on the grip, though it increases comfort by sacrificing some of the shooter's ability to get a really high grip on the backstrap, which I find a bit problematic.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links