Love my SR9c, thinking of G19 or PPS too

This is a discussion on Love my SR9c, thinking of G19 or PPS too within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought an SR9c recently intending to CCW with it and discovered I like it more than my full size SR9, it just fits my ...

Thread: Love my SR9c, thinking of G19 or PPS too

Love my SR9c, thinking of G19 or PPS too

I bought an SR9c recently intending to CCW with it and discovered I like it more than my full size SR9, it just fits my hand better. I'm thinking of trading in the SR9 on another compact and wonder if anyone has experience with the SR9c, G19 and PPS? I don't really have any options to try before I buy and wonder if either would feel similar to my Ruger in performance. I'm going to hit the LGS to hold each and see what that tells me, aside from the obvious grip size differences. I'm also open to suggestion for another good quality compact similar in size to the SR9c. Maybe a Kahr PM9, though I'd like to keep the weight up in the low 20oz range and the barrel near 3.5". Thanks for your thoughts!
    Last edited by fmcgraw; January 14th, 2011 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Changed G17 to G19. Goofed when typing.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    The Glock 17 is a full size 9mm similiar to the Ruger SR9 so I would consider instead the Glock 26 (double stack). The Walther PPS is a single stack 9mm so it is slimmer than the Glock 26, but it holds less ammo. Other options to consider are the Springfield XD Subcompact (double stack), Smith & Wesson M&P9c (double stack), Heckler & Koch P2000/sk (double stack), Kahr CW9 (single stack) and the Kahr PM9 (double stack). Of all, the Walther PPS is the lightest and slimmest of all so I would start by checking that one out. The Glock 26 and Kahr PM9 come in a close second to the Walther PPS in terms of size (I think though the Kahr PM9 is even smaller than the Walther PPS) and it is what most folks around here buy for a sub-compact pistol. Besides the gun's dimensions and ergonomics, you need to consider the following: trigger system (DAO or DA/SA), safety features (manual safety, grip safety, trigger safety and/or decocker), sights and also the gun's magazine capacity. The Ruger SR9c has a 1911 style manual ambidextrous safety and a Glock style trigger safety, whereas the Walther PPS, Heckler & Koch P2000/sk, Smith & Wesson M&P9c, Kahr PM9 and the Glock 26 have only trigger safeties (no manual safety) and the XD9 sub-compact has a 1911 style grip safety and a Glock style trigger safety. I say go fumble with all the available models at your local gun store, check out the different types of features aforementioned, ask the gun store's salesmen any questions you might have and then just buy whatever feels best in your hand and works for you. You could also just wait a while and buy the Ruger LC9 which is the 9mm version of the Ruger LCP .380.

If I were you, I would decide between the Glock 26, Kahr PM9 and the Walther PPS.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I have a PPS. I shoot this gun better than any gun I own. Doesnt hold as many rounds as others, but the slimness makes it disappear at 3 ocklock OWB.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

I chose my SR9c over a G26 and really like it so far, surely I'd love a PPS but man that price tag! What about a G19? Of course now we have the LC9 and Sig P290 entering the slim 9 market...decisions, decisions.

I have both the SR9C and the Kahr PM9. I also feel the SR9C fits my hand perfectly. I am far more accurate with the SR9C. But, they are different guns entirely. I can conceal the Kahr very easily (I'm on the small size) whereas I can't conceal the SR9C unless I'm wearing layers of clothing. From my point of view, entirely different guns. Try to shoot the Kahr before you buy it though.

The SR9c is a great compact gun for concealed carry. I would look at the G19 for a larger, but still concealable carry option.

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    Kahr CW9 (single stack) and the Kahr PM9 (double stack)...Kahr PM9 and the Glock 26 have only trigger safeties (no manual safety)

Just two corrections: Kahr only makes single-stack guns. The PM9 is a single-stack 6+1. Kahr also does not have a trigger safety, just a firing pin block. The trigger is one piece of stainless steel with no safety to actuate.

Quote Originally Posted by fmcgraw View Post
    Maybe a Kahr PM9, though I'd like to keep the weight up in the low 20oz range and the barrel near 3.5".
    If you like the PM9 but want more mass, consider the MK9 -- same size as the PM9 but heftier since it's all stainless. Kahrs are excellent if you don't mind the small capacity, light weight, and lack of any non-essential controls. Their triggers are butter-smooth.

My PPS is a GREAT BUG GUN. It rides in my from left pocket and lays very flat. My G19/23 are outstanding carry guns. You have made good choices.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

The PPS 9m is my primary EDC and I have full confidence in it. Over a 1,000 trouble free rounds. A real comfortable, light, slim carry.

Links