question about conpensated glock23

This is a discussion on question about conpensated glock23 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im thinking my next gun will be a G23. I noticed they offer it compensated. I just wanted to know if anyone has one of ...

Thread: question about conpensated glock23

question about conpensated glock23

Im thinking my next gun will be a G23. I noticed they offer it compensated. I just wanted to know if anyone has one of these and if they carry it? What are the pros and cons? While I wasnt a 40 fan at first, I have really warmed up to it and it is now becomming my favorite round because 45 gets expensive to shoot since I dont reload. The compensated 40 just peaked my interest, so I wanted some feedback.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

2. Remove Ads

Can't help you with the G23C, but I have a G23 & a G22C. They both shoot great (afterall...they're Glocks, what do you expect!) but the G22C does have quite a bit less recoil. I don't notice the flash of the gases escaping from the ports much at all. Now if I shot it outdoors in the dead of night...that might be a different story. Since most self defense situations occur in low to little light, that would be my only concern of a G23C for defensive carry.
    Current handguns: Glock models 19, 22C, 23, 27, 29, & 36; Kimber Pro CDP and Polymer Custom; Kahr PM9 & CW9; S&W models 6906, 386PD, 66; Taurus 85 Ultralite Ti; Browning Buckmark;

Former handguns: S&W 4"686, 4" 620 & Sigma .380, Taurus 617 Ti, Kimber Pro Eclipse, Walther P22, Glock 30 & 33.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I DON'T recommend a compensated gun for carry. Compensated guns are for target/competition shooting. IMO,

think of this. a defensive situation where you can't get into a good "regular" shoot stance. Say your in your car. Are you going to want the discharge flash coming up into your face? At night this could be worse because it will mess up your night vision (natural adjustments your eyes make to the dark)

I could think of about 50 other situations where I would NOT want a compensated gun. the car one is just an example..

In all honesty that little reduction in recoil a compensated barrel makes will not matter (at least to me) if a threat is attacking me. Your adrenaline dump will handle the recoil just fine. I should say your training, but that just depends on how seriously you take your training.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

VIP Member
    What Spec wrote. I learned that lesson the hard way. Basically, I ruined a good gun trying to reduce muzzle tilt. Now, it is worthless for close up SD because I can't fire it from a close retention position.

Well, you've got good replies thus far, and the thread isn't even waist deep yet. IMO.....a compensated Glock is pretty much a marketing tactic. How many of the top Glock sanctioned shooters actually use a compensated Glock pistol for competition? (Maybe I've opened a door, but it's just opened a small crack).
    The G23, Glock, and the 40S&W round place second only to the G19 and the 9mm on the totem pole of perfection for most for carry. The reasons I got myself into a G23 were because of the G27 and G19, and I swapped a G22 to do that. No matter how Glock I am, no matter how long I've been carrying, or how long I've done competition matches........I still cannot see any reason to have a compensated model Glock pistol. There are just simply so many reasons that make the compensated Glock pistol irrelevant to me. And I would never suggest getting a compensated anything for CC much less competition. Truth be known........a 'compensated Glock' is a contradiction in terms. If they can still sell them, then that's good. I figure the whole world will turn to Glock one of these days. Compensation to me means a paycheck. It doesn't involve pistols. I'll give you 2 on credit since my next paycheck is a week away.

Administrator
    Well, if you do buy a compensated Glock and you don't like it then just switch out the barrel for a high quality "drop in" barrel and what you'll end up with is an uncompensated Glock with 2 little irrelevant lightening cuts in the slide.
    So if you can get a real sweet deal on a compensated Glock....snatch it up.

The only recoil reduction "porting" that I like is done by Magnaport International because of the way that their EDM porting redirects the gasses so that the escaping gas and flash is not problematic.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

GM
    IMO getting a compensated handgun for SD is a very bad idea, not matter what kind of firearm it is.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

yeah, I started thinking of all of the bad things that could happen with a compensated gun. If you had to shoot from the hip, from a car etc.. etc.. that could turn into a bad situation quick. For the range, I can see..maybe, but I like to shoot what I carry. Im still going to go with the g23. Its weird. I shot a glock for the first time 5 weeks ago. I bought a G19 3 days later. I love the trigger, compared to my XD's. ANyway, after years of shooting, I finally shot a glock, really liked it and now will probably turn into a glockhead. Go figure.

Before you buy a compensated Glock (or any pistol), shoot one from retention. Then decide if that's what you want for a SD situation.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

but I like to shoot what I carry
    I shoot everything that I carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I shoot everything that I carry.
    That would have made more sense if I would have said "If I dont plan on carrying it, it probably wont get much time at the range." Thats mostly due to ammo costs. I do love shooting my Buckmark 22. Can shoot for extended periods of time without going broke.

I was at a USPSA match, watching some open-class (hi-cap, optics, compensators) competitors shoot a stage. The stage started from an awkward position, with the gun tilted to the side. I didn't get my hearing protection on soon enough, and even standing 20 feet behind the shooter, his comp was vented towards me, and I gotta tell you... THAT HURTS. Sorry, what was that you said (lol)?
    The flash and it's impact on your night vision is just one of the considerations with a compensator. The 40S&W is a high pressure round and vents a lot of gas. Try a compensated pistol at the range; you can feel the blast on your face. If you had to use a compensated pistol for self defense indoors or worse, in a vehicle, there's a real possibility of injury to your hearing. A compensated gun is lots of fun, but I wouldn't carry one. Maybe you can use a normal barrel for EDC, but competition guns tend to get tricked out with things you would not want on a self-defense pistol. OTOH... my son is LEO and carries a 40 cal Glock. The G23 is a nice pistol.

DAN

Links