S&w 629

This is a discussion on S&w 629 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally found my gemstone, diamond, dream gun. A smith and wesson 629 4 inch revolver in .44 magnum. I have been wanting a 29 ...

Thread: S&w 629

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

S&w 629

I finally found my gemstone, diamond, dream gun. A smith and wesson 629 4 inch revolver in .44 magnum. I have been wanting a 29 or 629 since I saw dirty harry. Is 700 dollars a good price for one of these slightly used. Is there a difference in an older one and a newer one? My gun guy said something about having three lugs or something like that, anyone know what he was actually saying?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Hi,

What is the dash number? Like 629-3 (insert other number for 3). I have a 686 which is pretty similar but it's 357 mag and I love it. Are you sure he was not talking about a full lug?
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Chris I dont know what hes referring to. Perhaps you misunderstood. I can tell you that I have had several and currently use the 5 inch 629 for deer hunting and they are great guns, well built and very smooth. You will enjoy the 4 inch very much.

A reasonable deal on a really desirable Smith & Wesson .44 Magnum in my view. If you are needing a potent belt gun or are even looking to contrive to conceal .44 Magnum goodness then that is the gun for you.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

thats the thing that really sold me on it glockman, they had a cylinder cap in it for dry fire and the trigger was like a knife through hot butter, it was so smooth. definatley gonna be fun
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I bought a brand new model 29 4" stainless in 1982 for $425.00.I wish I still had it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

S&W 44 magnums

I bought the 629 Classic shown here about 1998 for $450 used. I'm glad to see how they have gone up in value if $700 is a current price. Mine is a full lug barrel, which corresponds to the "'Classic" name. I believe a straight 629 has a partial lug barrel. The "6" in the number means stainless, of course. The original model 29 was blued.

Mine has the best trigger I have ever felt on a revolver, in either single or double action. I believe it is a stock trigger and not modified.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I bought a brand new model 29 4" stainless in 1982 for $425.00.I wish I still had it
    ?? S&W never made a 29 in stainless, but they did in Nickel, which must have been what you bought. Or maybe it was a 629, they are all stainless.

pogo2
    The original model 29 was blued
    And Nickel.

They are great guns, just as the 29 is. $700 is about right for a used 629 in good condition, especially if you get the original box and paperwork with it, but still ok with out. The stainless 629 usually sells a little higher than the 29, around here anyway, unless the 29 is mint in the original box of course. A friend down the road has a Nickel 29 4" for sale at $650.

For carry the 4" is idea, but if you are buying it mostly to shoot alot or hunt, I'd recommend the 6" or longer. And remember, regardless of barrel length, they are a pleasure to shoot with 44Special loads.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Oh yeah, and I have no idea what the "3 Lug" comment is. Like pogo2 said, the 629 is a partial lug gun, but some custom shop, special order, classics have a full lug.

He may have meant it was a -3 (629-3, 3rd design change from the first) with a full lug or something like that.

Reguardless, still a pretty decent deal.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

that was it, full lug, he said this gun is a Classic with a full lug, don't know where i got the three lugs from, but thats it, so mine must be a 629 classic

Here's mine, a 629-1.
    Paid $495 back in June of last year. Just shot it earlier today...I guess that was yesterday already. (01:25 here).
    They are great guns, you're going to love it.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

Links