Tell me about the Kahr CW series...

This is a discussion on Tell me about the Kahr CW series... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I stopped by a local gun shop today and was looking around. I walked over and he had 3 Kahr CW series pistol's in the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about the Kahr CW series...

Tell me about the Kahr CW series...

I stopped by a local gun shop today and was looking around. I walked over and he had 3 Kahr CW series pistol's in the case. The sales guy started talking about them, I told him to let me see the .45, and I have to say that I loved the feel of the pistol. I thought it felt really nice and I loved the smoothness of the trigger. That is the first Kahr I have ever held and know nothing about them. He was asking $510 for it, so I passed. While I was driving down the interstate I called the guy at the shop I recently bought two Glocks from, he said he could order me one for $425,( UH-OOOO) I told him to order it. I like the feel of the pistol and think it would make a nice carry gun, but like I said Iknow nothing about them. So anything you guys could tell me about the CW series would be great, how do they shoot, are they reliable, etc...

2. Remove Ads

I've had a CW45 for a while. I like it because it's a .45 in a handy package. I have had only one problem with mine. The trigger pull effort became excessive. I had to send it back to Kahr. The repair order said they "reworked" the trigger. I'm not sure what that entails, but I know it was smoother and required less effort than out of the box. The turn around time was really quick. Hope you like yours as well as I do mine!

I have a CW9 as well as a PM9. The PM9 sees mostly pocket carry, but I do carry the CW9 that way in the large pockets of some of my cargo shorts in warmer weather. However the CW9 is mostly used on the hip when wearing light clothing. I love the way it carries and shoots. It has always been very accurate for me. My son recently turned 21 and he is scheduled to take his CCDW class next month. He has told me that he wants the CW9 for his carry pistol!
    Current handguns: Glock models 19, 22C, 23, 27, 29, & 36; Kimber Pro CDP and Polymer Custom; Kahr PM9 & CW9; S&W models 6906, 386PD, 66; Taurus 85 Ultralite Ti; Browning Buckmark;

Former handguns: S&W 4"686, 4" 620 & Sigma .380, Taurus 617 Ti, Kimber Pro Eclipse, Walther P22, Glock 30 & 33.

VIP Member
    I have the CW40, great shooting pistol and the best DAO trigger of any I have tried.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I have the CW9 myself. It's been totally, 100% reliable for well over 800 rounds (yeah, I know, low round count). Very well made, easy to carry, easy to care for, and very accurate. For the money, you can't beat the CW series pistols, in my opinion.

surv

I have five Kahrs- MK9,PM9,K40,P40 and a CW45. They are all great carry guns but the CW45 has quickly become my favorite concealed carry gun.

The CW series is a great series, I prefer the P anf PM series cosmetically. The CW series has standard rifling in the barrel and not polygonal like the P series. The etchging on the slide and the sharp corners are not as finshed as well either. Overall fit and finish goes to the P/PM series, but the CW is the clear value.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by TJK68 View Post
    So anything you guys could tell me about the CW series would be great, how do they shoot, are they reliable, etc...
    The 'CW' series is the lower-cost version of the compact 'P' series, polymer-framed guns. Standard rifling instead of polygonal, pinned front sight instead of dovetailed, fewer cosmetic machining cuts on the slide, and only one mag comes with the gun.

I bought a CW9 a few years ago and it's a sweet little gun. It's still a "little" gun, though, so it takes some practice to reliably hit what you're aiming at, as all little guns do. Mine has been completely reliable through an estimated 1200+ rounds. It's my "around the house" carry gun because it is so unobtrusive on my hip. Mine digests everything I feed it, and I carry it with Win Silvertips and Cor-Bon +P+ loads.

When you get extra mags, avoid the Pro Mags... you'll have to stick with the pricey OEM Kahr mags. But sometimes you can find these on FleaBay or GunBroker for substantially less than what Kahr charges.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

and, at defensive distances the difference between polygonal rifling and "standard" rifling is zero... and, cosmetics don't make the round run down range any better... also, internally they are pretty much all identical

And, for what it's worth, the other main difference between the CW series and other Kahr offerings used to be the unavailability of night sights for the CW series..... that all changed in December of 2009. The Trijicon Tritium sights on the CW's are a great addition if you prefer the option (which I do). Oh, also there's the matter of the CW shipping with only one magazine. Spares can be had for as little as $25, if you shop around.

surv

I have a CW9 and have over 900 rounds down range with no problems. Compact, light, reliable and the best double action trigger I have tried. Hard to go wrong!

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    The CW series is a great series, I prefer the P anf PM series cosmetically. The CW series has standard rifling in the barrel and not polygonal like the P series. The etchging on the slide and the sharp corners are not as finshed as well either. Overall fit and finish goes to the P/PM series, but the CW is the clear value.
    Good to know, been on the fence about a pocket 9 here lately, either MK9 or PM9 but now with Ruger, Kimber I want to check them out first ? one thing I do know it will be a single stack.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for the info guys, that makes me feel better about getting it. I think for $425 for a reliable carry pistol is not bad, and I can do with out all the fancy cosmetics of the P series for now. I did not know you could order the CW with nite-sites, but I can add them later. Thanks for the replies, I will post pics when I get it, I think I will like it.

the night sights are offered by Kahr as aftermarket upgrades... I don't think they offer the pistols NIB with the sights. The Trij sights are $80 from Kahr, and if you ship the slide to them they will do the install for an additional fee + return shipping. They are supposedly a diy install, but to be safe (I would have broken a trit tube for sure), I opted to let the experts do the install. The slide came back with the sights perfectly aligned for poa=poi. Made me a very happy camper

surv

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    the night sights are offered by Kahr as aftermarket upgrades... I don't think they offer the pistols NIB with the sights. The Trij sights are $80 from Kahr, and if you ship the slide to them they will do the install for an additional fee + return shipping. They are supposedly a diy install, but to be safe (I would have broken a trit tube for sure), I opted to let the experts do the install. The slide came back with the sights perfectly aligned for poa=poi. Made me a very happy camper

surv
    Kahr sights are difficult to work on unless you have the right tools. They are very tight. Sending the slide back to Kahr is money well spent. Although I personally prefer the P9, the CW9 is a real value if you want a new, compact, single stack CCW.

I'll chime in with surveyor and ripley, love my night sights and I let Kahr install them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links