Kimber Solo Carry - Page 3

Kimber Solo Carry

This is a discussion on Kimber Solo Carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nice reconnaisance, Sleipnir! The PM9 is a little bulky for me. It's almost as big as my G26, but carries less rounds. The Solo is ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kimber Solo Carry

VIP Member
    Nice reconnaisance, Sleipnir!

The PM9 is a little bulky for me. It's almost as big as my G26, but carries less rounds. The Solo is looking more interesting all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleipnir View Post
    I stopped by my LGS last night and they had the Solo Carry for display purposes. They won't have them for sale until April, but they set their price at $599.

It's a sweet little gun, and the trigger is rather smooth for such a small gun.

The manual safety engages with the typical 'snik' and 'snak' of a 1911 and is in an intuitive position for your thumb to disengage.

I took some pictures last night, one of the Solo Carry compared to the Kahr PM9, and the interesting barrel of the Solo Carry. Enjoy!
    So how would you describe the trigger? Is it like a SAO?

Have you guys seen the video from kimber1911pistols.com?

Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    So how would you describe the trigger? Is it like a SAO?
    Very smooth, and if I had to guess it has around a 7# pull force. The trigger feels like an SAO too, very smooth with a clean break.

If I had $600 this would be what I spent it on!

I just got through checking out the prototype that was given to the Gun shop I frequent..... I'll say, it's absolutely on my list when it hits the store. I would have taken the one I was checking out, but being a prototype it wasn't for sale. This pistol is slightly smaller than the Kahr PM9 or at least it felt smaller to me. It might have been what appeared to be pretty decent melt job from Kimber.

I have a kimber 1911 and love it as well, but I'd say the fit and finish is top notch on this little striker fired pistol and I think you'd be hard pressed to disagree, given a fair once over... Bottom line I was, and am very impressed with this pistol.. I'd compare its size to my PPK with the flush bottom mag, but in 9mm. IMO, without even test firing, this ultra compact 9mm is going to be hot as fire when it hits the counters on looks and feel alone. I was told that they should have some in, in about 6 months and the price point would be high $500s. If the thing runs like it feels, I just don't see how you could do much better in a striker fired ultra compact 9mm.

If you get the chance and are in the market for a 9mm, you gotta check one out. It really is one of the best feeling autos I felt in awhile; It just feels like it would be fun to shoot. IMO, it's so light that I think the recoil is going to be a handful. I didn't ask if it was rated for +p, but the barrel looked like it could handle it, and being a locking breach, I'd say it most likely is.

Anyway, just thought I post my thoughts on this one, as I went in to see about the LC9. My guy said he didn't know when he'd get any of those in, but he had the Solo prototype if I wanted to check it out...... I took the bait and he knows I'll be wanting one when he gets um in.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Cant tell if it would be small enough for pocket carry. I personally don't like a safety on a pocket pistol. Its about time gun manf are tackling the slim 9's. The lcp was the top selling CC handgun last year. I think all of these new slim 9's will be good sellers. Now we need a LCP sized 10MM.....HA
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

I'm excited about this gun. It could totally change my carry habits. I want to give it some time to sort out the teething issues, and hope Wilson makes mags for it. God bless Kimber for a new intro that isn't plastic!
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    It looks like 2011 will be the year of the single-stack pocket 9's. We have Sig and Ruger throwing their hats in the ring.

Now Kimber:
    http://www.kimber1911pistols.com/blo...er-solo-carry/

Will Glock be next?
    I most certainly hope so!!!! Talk about a dream pistol for CC

YMMV

You better have a safety....it's Single action striker-fired

Someone be a test mule and buy this one and post your joys or your frustrations....Go ahead, be the first on your block to have one

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=211644221
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I don't get it why consumers are so into "pocket carry" right now. I think that IWB or OWB is more comfortable and quicker to draw than inside the pocket.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

MAN, ok my choices just got really tough. I was looking at the Ruger but now have to look at the Sig and the Kimber. Will just have to hope the LGS has all three in stock or at least has ones to play with when I make my decision.

Hopefully, one of these relegates my LCP to total BUG duty as I never really feel good using it as my primary CC by itself (though sometimes clothing necessitates this).

I was about to say "yuck" until I saw it next to the LCP I just bought. Nice gun. I'll have to save my nickels and dimes.
    jim

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    I don't get it why consumers are so into "pocket carry" right now. I think that IWB or OWB is more comfortable and quicker to draw than inside the pocket.
    Easier to carry without having to find "the right" IWB/OWB setup. More comfortable in many circumstances. Fantastic choice for BUG situations.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I'm liking the looks of this Kimber big time. I EDC a PM9 and never thought I would give it up but this one may replace it. Is there anything definitive on the width? From the pics it looks thinner than a PM9 but the specs show different. I bet all of the single stack nines coming out sell like hot cakes. Hope Glock comes out with one too.

Now if I could just get a single stack .357SIG.

Edit:
    Anyone know if this thing can handle +P? No biggie but I've got some +P HST 147g that I'd like to feed it.
    Last edited by Wasabi; January 16th, 2011 at 07:53 PM.

Searched with google and came up with a discussion and someone measured the slide width at .92.
    http://www.okshooters.com/forums/sho...=110567&page=2
    Perhaps the measurement on kimber's site includes the Safeties?
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by gpsxplr View Post
    Searched with google and came up with a discussion and someone measured the slide width at .92.
    - The picture next to the Kahr P9 looks much more reasonable. I'm not sure if the camera angle is off in their Facebook page, but the PM40 just looks a lot thicker.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links