New to me High Power. A rant!

This is a discussion on New to me High Power. A rant! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just picked up a Browning HP at the gun shop where I work. Always wanted one, made in Belgium, assembled in Portugal, two tone, ...

Thread: New to me High Power. A rant!

New to me High Power. A rant!

I just picked up a Browning HP at the gun shop where I work. Always wanted one, made in Belgium, assembled in Portugal, two tone, ambi safety (I'm a lefty), fixed white line sights, just what I was looking for. I even have a couple magazines somewhere in the garage I saved for years in case I bought a HP.

The rant:
    I intend to tinker with the gun, replace the round hammer that bites, maybe do a trigger job, probably remove the magazine safety, replace the horrible Pachmayr grips. I look at Brownell's for parts and wow! Spare magazines from Browning are over $60! A replacement slide stop from Browning is over $130!!!! Replacement hamers and sear sets run around $150! What exactly makes parts for a gun that's been around forever so much? Even Pro-mags are almost $30. Why should they be $5 more than a longer 5906 S&W magazine? I get that the sear is a bit more complex than a 1911, but really?
    It's a good thing it comes with an ambi safety, you don't even want to know what one of those costs!

I figure the gun will cost me about $200 or $250 worth of work since I don't get a paycheck there. Still a great deal for a Browning, but I don't want to spend another $200 in parts. I was thinking about getting the blued slide refinished to match the frame, since SWMBO and I will probably carry it, and I'll at least need to get the hammer refinished if I cut it off instead of replacing it. Pics will follow by Monday if anybody doesn't know what a HP looks like and wants to see. Man, I've never ranted about a new gun before.

PS, anybody got any old Browning parts laying around their workbench that aren't getting used?
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I looked at one at a LGS recently. The deal breaker was "Happy Valentines Day" stamped into the frame.

I think Browning is like Mercedes; mere mention of the name raises prices.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Let me go through my BOX O STUFF....I have about 6 Hi Powers at last count, and I KNOW I have parts laying around.

One big bit of advice though....DO NOT tinker with the sear/firing pin unless you have more than a smattering of know how. They are not complicated per se, but not as easy breezy as a 1911. You can make yourself a 7-year minimum stretch in federal pen machine pistol with one too few strokes of a flat file! I know...I have seen me do it about 20 years ago on my first Hi Power project! I IMMEDIATELY ground the sear into metal filings and started again! When you fit the new sear make sure after EVERY file and stone stroke, you reassemble everything, run the action, hold your thumb on the hammer and SLOWLY let the hammer come to rest, recock and slowly run the wlide forward making sure the gun goes into battery before the hammer starts to fall...otherwise, you got'em a subgun!

Good luck on the project though...I HEART the Hi Power.

Cool

I have an excellent gunsmith/mechinest who milled Heinie Lo - Pro sights into my 1964 T-Series slide. He also installed a left side only extended thumb safety from C&S. Total cost including parts was less than $200. He is in Stuart and if you are interested send me a PM and I will give you his contact info.
    P01093655.jpgP01093448.jpg
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

If you want more magazines go with MecGar; they make the Browning-branded mags. Only difference is the lack of a "mousetrap spring" on the MecGars and a slightly different finish. Half the price the OEM's.

I feel your pain about the slide stops, hammers, etc. When at gunshows I keep an eye peeled for tables with parts bins.

AZ Infidel, thank you for looking. Much appreciated. An anonymous tip led me to Meg Gars at Midway on sale for $20. I got a few of those, and some new springs for the ones I found in the shop and the one I eventually found in my garage. I kind of like the white line sights on it, probably won't change yet. Mag safety is gone, and I promise I won't get ahead of myself trigger-wise. Stupid NFA! After the mag safety went away, the trigger isn't bad. Crisp, no overtravel. Most of my 1911s have bobbed, flat hammers and I think I'll do the same here if I can find a spare hammer soon. If I only do tbe hammer in hard chrome I'll go with a local industrial company, if I do the slide I'll use Ford's since I'll probably send my P7M8 out at the same time.

Unfortunately, SWMBO was looking over my shoulder when I came acrross Ivory colored micarta grips at Brownell's. It will have these, she says. If I can't locate a decent holster this weekend, I'll call Fist on Monday.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

CDNN usually has affordable Mecgar mags. I had Jimmy at KHolster add the BHP to his lineup for me and it works very well. Enjoy your Hi Power!

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    sounds kind of like the rant of the guy who finally got the popular girl to date him...she looked good and everybody wants one...they just cant all afford her and she comes with some baggage...

The Kahr P9 is the best fitting auto I have ever had in my hands for a polymer....The Browning HP is the bestfitting period, and is hi-cap. I WILL HAVE ONE. Congrats.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Links