Wife has Narrowed Down to SR9c or the XD9 Subcompact .... Help Please

This is a discussion on Wife has Narrowed Down to SR9c or the XD9 Subcompact .... Help Please within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone, I'm looking for opinions, feedback & suggestions specifically from those that either own, or have extensive experience with BOTH the Springfield XD9 subcompact ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wife has Narrowed Down to SR9c or the XD9 Subcompact .... Help Please

Wife has Narrowed Down to SR9c or the XD9 Subcompact .... Help Please

Hello everyone, I'm looking for opinions, feedback & suggestions specifically from those that either own, or have extensive experience with BOTH the Springfield XD9 subcompact AND the Ruger SR9c.

My wife has narrowed down to 1 of these 2 for her home defense in my absence since I leave at 3 a.m. for work 6 days a week. We currently have a Ruger P95 in her bed holster that she has shot & is able to handle, but everytime she picks it up she comments that "it's too big ... too heavy". She has given her stamp of approval on either of the 2 mentioned above that she likes & "feels good" from a grip & trigger reach standpoint. We have not had the opportunity to shoot, or even dry fire either one, as the trigger locks were not allowed to be removed during our side-by-side comparison. There has been interest on her part of getting her CHL if she gets one that she likes, fits & she "wants" to shoot, & that is the size & weight suitable to her to carry.

Our local gun range has the XD9 in their rental fleet, but not the SR9c. I'm looking for feedback relative to overall trigger operation, accuracy, reliability, FTF experiences (if any), recoil, & overall preference etc.

Input from a select few that own or shoot both is 10 times more useful than 50 shooters of only the XD9 telling me they "love it!", or 50 shooters of only the SR9c telling me the same, as it's the comparison that I'm looking for from those that have dealt with both.

Thanks to everyone in advance for their feedback, & stay safe!
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

2. Remove Ads

Well, I haven't shot the XD, but I can tell you that the XD is noticeably wider than the SR9C, and will be more difficult to conceal. The SR9c is under an inch wide at the slide, and the grip is considerably slimmer than an XD or Glock, which makes it very easy to conceal. I have over 1000 rounds through my SR9c with no problems. It has a very nice glock-style trigger, and shoots very accurately and comfortably for a compact. My wife likes it a lot. That being said, the stiff recoil springs make it more difficult to rack the slide. My wife can do it, but it takes some muscle. Also, she'll need to practice sweeping off the thumbsafety with the Ruger.

I cant speak to the SR9C, but my XD9SC is almost perfect. I have about 3000 rounds through it, and have never (NEVER!!) had a failure of any type. It's super accurate, and pretty safe. I like the grip safety (some do, some dont) and the trigger is great. My only complaint is that it is pretty chunky. I carry a PM9 over the XD most of the time for this reason. I think its a great gun since its very multi purpose. Great range gun, great carry gun, and great home defense gun.

Wow that is a tough question. I prefer the XD line of guns but the SR9C seems to be quite the good piece. The only way that she can legitimately choose would be to handle and shoot both. Good luck in your search.

If she just wants to keep it in the house, she'd probably like the XD a little better, as mentioned before, it is easier to chamber, and for me, slightly easier to hold on target. The SR9C is easier to conceal and carry, smoother and thinner. Both great though, can't really go wrong either way. She really should just go look at them both at a store, at the same time.

What's the deal with the trigger locks? I would go find a place that doesn't have that nonsense, and spend my money there.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsclaw View Post
    If she just wants to keep it in the house, she'd probably like the XD a little better, as mentioned before, it is easier to chamber, and for me, slightly easier to hold on target. The SR9C is easier to conceal and carry, smoother and thinner. Both great though, can't really go wrong either way. She really should just go look at them both at a store, at the same time.

What's the deal with the trigger locks? I would go find a place that doesn't have that nonsense, and spend my money there.
    I have shot both and I agree with this ^^^^^. Try to find a place to shoot both if you can. That's the only true way to know.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    A while back I had the XD, and it was a very good, reliable gun, but somewhat blocky. The SR9c is also very nice, reliable and accurate; thinner than the XD, and easier to carry. I eventually traded the XD after it chocked on +p ammo.

For some reason, I shoot the SR9c very accurately, and find it to be more fun to shoot than even my Glock 26, which everyone knows is a great gun! Of the two choices I'd favor the Ruger: made in America, $100 cheaper than the XD, backed by a great company (Ruger's service is best), 17 round capacity, choice of two different back straps, and better ergonomics.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsclaw View Post

As an owner of both firearms, I also find the XD would be more appropriate in the home defense role. I find it easier to be more accurate when firing quickly. The SR9c has the disadvantage of having the safety to fiddle with and is a little more complex in the takedown and cleaning. The Ruger is easier to conceal although your wife may not notice if she carries in a purse. I find both weapons to be excellent in general.

Where in Texas are you? If you are near the Austin area you can try out my Ruger.

For the record, though, if this is a home defense weapon, I'd recommend a shotgun or carbine instead of a handgun. Either one would be much more effective against an intruder, and you can mount either a laser and/or flashlight to it as well.

Edit - not that you couldn't mount a flashlight/laser combo to a handgun, either, but shotgun or rifle rounds would be more effective in general.

I recently handled both at gunshow here in town. I am a little bit more familiar with the XD line since I own the XD 45c.

My best suggestion would be to have her handle both and shoot both if possible. I really liked the feel of the SR9c so I did a little research over at the Ruger forum on them. Some owners have reported problems with them, but they seemed mostly limited to the 'break in' period. I would encourage you to do similar research and see what you find.

Also, the manual of arms could be important. If the SR9c has an external safety, that might be a consideration factor. She may want something she can just pick up and shoot. On the other hand, the XDs tend to have a very stiff slide compared to other firearms. My wife tried them and while I'm sure she could have learned to rack the slide after practice, it took enough effort for her to be uncomfortable with it. The smaller XD might be different though! Again, getting these in her hands has to be the best option.

Not to totally confuse you even more, but have you looked at the XDm 3.8 compact? It has gotten extremely favorable reviews and reports from what I've heard and is very comfortable. Might want to look at that one too

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    I looked at the XD subcompact, but ended up buying a S&W M&P compact instead. Both have near identical width and height. Ammo capacity is very close too, 13 in a magazine for the XD subcompact, and 12 for the M&P compact. The M&P has a longer barrel at 3.5 inches, instead of only 3.0 for the XD subcompact. For me, that was a plus, as I liked how the gun was balanced better. I also liked the ergonomics of the grip better.

For your wife, the M&P compact offers the advantage of the 3 different sized grip inserts that are included with it, so she could fine tune the grip size to her hand.

So if she has not handled a M&P compact yet, that would be another option similar to the Springfield that you could consider. Its street price is virtually identical to the Springfield, so it would still cost you about $100 more than the Ruger.

From a length and height standpoint, my M&P compact is actually no bigger than my Walther PPS, as one can see in the photo below. It is just fatter, due to having a double stack magazine.

My vote is for the SR9c. I have 1011 flawless rounds through mine. I like the XD but the Ruger felt better, was cheaper and joined the rest of my Ruger family.

JT
    Out of the two, XD9.

But I would take a G26 over all of them.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I gotta go with the SR9C IMO

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    The SR9c is the winner. Remove the mag-lock disconnect, clean it thoroughly, run 1000 rounds through it, it's a solid gun.

It's just a tack-driver. It's overbuilt, like all Rugers and it controls the 9mm round very nicely.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links