Got A New Gun! S&W M&P

This is a discussion on Got A New Gun! S&W M&P within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gotta go with what works best for you....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got A New Gun! S&W M&P

Lead Moderator
    Gotta go with what works best for you.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

2. Remove Ads

Range Report

Thanks for the support everyone.

I just got back from the range. Below are two photos of the M&P prior to cleaning. I also have a picture of my full-size target. I taped the three of the smaller targets to it (center mass). The smaller targets are 8 1/2" x 11" with 3" bull's eyes. The photographs were taken with my camera phone, and the smaller targets were scanned.

I had only fire the .40 round once prior to the M&P (borrowed a guy's SA XD .40 tactical at the range for a few shots). I must say I finally understand what everyone means when they say that although it doesn't kick as hard as a .45, the recoil is much sharper. That being said, recoil was very managable. The M&P is exactly what I expected of it: it is a combat handgun. It is very comfortable to hold and shoots very well. Muzzle climb is minimal (if you keep your wrist stiff) and follow-up is very easy. The trigger is crisp, breaking at about 4 pounds without too much travel. The trigger safety is very natural, and didn't bother me one bit. The M&P chewed through two hundred rounds of cheap Independance (Federal) ammuntion without a hitch (on factory grease). I find my hand did get a little sore after after a two clips rapid-fire, which doesn't happen with my SAXD (9MM) and didn't happen with my P220 (after I installed the Hogue Grips, that is). As you can see from my full size target, I did quite a bit of rapid fire shooting (and got rather sloppy towards the end due to fatigue) so this contributed to my sore hand. I think with practice, my hands will become used to the impact of the .40 (the soreness was gone by the time I reloaded the two clips).

On the three small targets: (#1&2 were at 7 meters, #3 was at 20 meters)

#1 - The first 15 shots fired from the M&P. A nice clean group for the first 11 rounds. My hand drifted a little towards the end. (I was very impressed for my first clip).

#2 - My third clip. Five three round bursts fired in rapid succession. The last shot of last burst was very low (allowed my wrist to break, I think)

#3 - My shots were all over the place on this one. Six shots missed the target (but impacted the silhouette). It was hard to hold steady, so I would say that the inaccuracy was definately me, not the gun. (my first shot was dead center, about 3/4 off the center bull's eye).

Overall: I love the gun. It isn't a match grade shooter, but I wouldn't expect it to be. It is a combat handgun and will allow you to put your shots on target in rapid succession. If your unfamiliar with the .40S&W cartridge (as I am), it will take a little adjustment. I am very happy with this outing, and view the M&P as a suitable defensive piece.

As usual, questions, comments, and discussion are welcomed.

That's it for my first range report. Hope I did all right.
    Attached Images
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Assistant Administrator
    Most commendable report

Thank you.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

A friend of mine, Dan Burwell at Burwell Customs has been doing some work with the M&P. He has many people at his weekend shoots using this pistol. They have good things to say about it and he has some good information on his website about trigger work and other things. He also is doing some awesome stippling work on the guns. Have a look at http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com. Pretty cool mods and very interesting information on the pistol.

Jess
    "Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21ontarget1911@gmail.com
    OnTarget LLC Custom Gunworks
    http://www.ontargetcgw.com

Senior Moderator
    Overall: I love the gun. It isn't a match grade shooter, but I wouldn't expect it to be. It is a combat handgun and will allow you to put your shots on target in rapid succession.
    In the big scheme of things...that is really all that matters.

Great report, Im glad you like it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Thanks!

Thank you for the great range report. I have been lusting after the S&W M&P in .40 for a while now. I really like the look of this gun.

Sounds like you got a gun you can really live with there. I hope I will too.

Thanks again.

Chris, Hotguns: Thanks, and your welcome.
    Jess: your buddy does some fine work.
    PT- I've heard that the .40 round is not for everyone, but it works for me, and the M&P is a great platform to carry it in. I hope it works for you as well as mine did. Edit - Just saw that you're already carrying an XD40sc. I guess you're very familiar with the .40! You should enjoy the M&P. I'll not say it's better than my SA XD (as they're different calibers), but it is a great gun.
    Last edited by Exodus; July 16th, 2006 at 12:00 AM.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

One thing I've forgotten to ask:

Are there any other drills I should do to break in the new gun? Did I miss anything? I did a variety of stances (both one and two handed). A variety of distances, aimed, rapid and intuitive fire. I guess all I missed (that I know of) is moving targets, and multiple targets (at equal and different distances).

Anyways, one more thing to add to the report -

It is a con, but not a big one. The M&P takes a bit longer to clean than my SAXD, not a lot, but it was noticeable. It has a few more small spaces (particularly in the frame) that make it a little more tedious.

Assistant Administrator
    Not a break-in suggestion but if the range situation allows for it - shooting on the move is a discipline to add in.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Unfortunately, it doesn't. It is a small indoor pistol range above an archery shop. Six lanes, nothing special. All it really has going for it is that it is only five minutes from home and there is never a wait. We do have a larger range (one town over) that is a part of shooting club. I'll have to join there for more advanced disciplines (they also do IPSC and other competitions).

Just FYI... after completing the HK45 project, Larry Vickers gave the M&P .45 a lot of praise. Looks like a very interesting platform.

Krept, I'm not familiar with Larry Vickers....got any links or info?

Thanks in advance

Thanks For All The M&p Input.now I Think I Need One.

Thanks Craig. That tells me I've done a good job (with some very good help from the other members, of course). I can't have a discussion with myself.

Glad you enjoy the pistol. I also had mixed feelings about the M&P and the "special tool". When I went to the gun shop and picked it up, it never left my hand till I got in the truck with it. I owned 4 XD in my time, and they all left when I got the M&P, I felt I was neglecting them by not firing them, and they went to owners that would shoot them.

Happy shooting.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links