Got A New Gun! S&W M&P - Page 3

Got A New Gun! S&W M&P

This is a discussion on Got A New Gun! S&W M&P within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nice forum Jester... I got my XD out last night for an inspection, and I swear, it feels blocky and heavy compared to the M&P. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got A New Gun! S&W M&P

Nice forum Jester...

I got my XD out last night for an inspection, and I swear, it feels blocky and heavy compared to the M&P. I do like the weight the XD (it helps with recoil during rapid fire shooting), but the M&P is much more sleek. It seems to be a rapier to the XD's broadsword, of that makes sense. I'm starting to think about an M&P in 9mm now!
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Great report on what looks like and sounds like a mighty fine little pistolo. I myself like the look of the M&P. To me it looks technical and has the right lines that say "Fighting handgun". Keep us posted on how things progress with accuracy and reliability as you keep shooting it.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus
    Krept, I'm not familiar with Larry Vickers....got any links or info?

Thanks in advance
    yikes, sorry about the delay.

http://vickerstactical.com is his webpage with info about him.

Cheers,
    Erik

I'll keep everyone posted as I put more rounds through it. Don't think I'll make it to the range this weekend though....

Erik, Larry has an impressive website. I didn't see any specific articles on the M&P yet. Do you think he'll publish an article on the M&P once the .45 is officially released?
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Larry Vickers and Ken Hackathorn were brought on by H&K to develop their idea of the ultimate fighting .45. Assuming this pistol gets past the pre-production stage, it will compete directly against the S&W (for about twice the price). I will be surprised to hear Mr. Vickers touting the S&W in public; then again, he might do just that.
    If you're gonna be stupid, you'd better be tough!

What Bloodnut said. The only thing I'd add is that they were contracted to build the ultimate fighting .45 given some parameters... one of which is that it would be supremely easy to maintain for rank and file troops (in case the Joint Combat Pistol were to be adopted by CENTCOM) and non dedicated gun people, so to speak.

I don't think Larry will really write a review about the pistol. There was a discussion over e-mail regarding the 1911 and the new HK45 where he mentioned the M&P .45 (which I had never heard of before) and that was what surprised me.

yep, rumor mill is that the M&P 45 will be out the first of the year.

Ok I stand by my feeling that the M&P is no looker. But, I did handle and dry fire one today. For a DAO polymer framed gun it has a great trigger. The trigger and the fact that the the frame rails aren't bedded into the frame may pursuade me to buy one in the future. The only double stack polymer gun I have my eye on other than the M&P is the stainless XD 45 Tactical.

Everything I've read about the .45 M&P is that it is being developed as a part of the search for the next US Military sidearm. They are looking for a Single Action Striker fired .45.

Beauty is definately in the eye of the beholder, Scout. I actually like looks of the M&P. At any rate, looks are not what a combat handgun are about. It does handle very nicely.

A bit of a misnomer though (unless I'm mistaken, and if I am, someone please explain). I always understood striker fired guns to be single action...a double action gun cocks the firing mechanism as the trigger is pulled. On the M&P (and the SA XD), the trigger only release a cocked striker. I've heard the Glock described as a double action striker fired gun, as racking the slide only half cocks the striker and pulling the trigger completes the motion and releases the striker. But, if the slide is not first racked, pulling the trigger will not do anything. Am I right, or am I missing something (or just flat wrong...)? Always looking to learn.

And I've been hearing the siren song of the XD .45 as well scout. It feels so nice in my hands! Haven't been able to lay my mitts on a tactical model yet though. Bet it'd handle recoil nicely. I've been able to shoot a .40 tactical and it wasn't bad. Not to get off topic or anything.

As I said in my previous thoughts on the M&P, the only negative so far is that it is a bit tedious to clean. It has a lot more little nooks and crannies (sp?) than the XD (or the Glock and my antique Radom, for that matter). It's not bad, but does take a little more detailing that I'm used to.

Another question for the forum (in my usual rambling form, I'm afraid):

I've read about some stress test on the M&P (a couple of guys standing in a line and running a few thousand rounds through a single M&P rapid fire by passing the gun), but nothing about "torture tests". You know, sand, grit, water, mud. The infamous "DEA frisbee test". I'm confident in my M&P's durability, but I'm not really will to fling mine through the air. Has any of the gun rags (or you brave souls) done any torture tests?

As usual, sorry for the rambling (insomnia is a evil disease).

Ha! Kinda answered one of my own questions (thought to search Jester's forum).
    http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopi...hlight=torture
    There is nice description of a torture test there by one of the members.

Anybody see any others?

Quote Originally Posted by soonerjh
    I saw on another forum where they are coming out with a compact model
    id be happy if they would just release what they already promised (full size, .357 auto) instead of continuing to push their own vanity round.

Gunbroker isn't the best place to buy, but here is one for sale:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=53460929

Also, I was looking for a .357 at first, but eventually decided on the .40 (and not because they weren't available at time of purchase)...

How come you're looking for a .357, if I may ask?

How come you're looking for a .357, if I may ask?
    absolutely!

ballistically the 357 auto is amazingly flat, and penetrates through barriers like the 10mm (another of my favorites). the .40 on the other hand, recoils far more than its capabilities and just doesnt penetrate barriers as well. i know that its proven itself to be a very effective defensive round, but in the end it just hasnt earned my full confidence like the 357 auto, 10mm, and .45 acp.

Ah...penetration. One of the reasons I shied away from it. I live in an apartment, and excessive penetration is a bad thing. I do know that is one characteristic that made .357sig the calibur for the Texas Secret Service.

The other two reasons I went with .40 are:

1. Price. .357 is more expensive than .45! (at least here in Waco - $13.95 for a box of 50 rounds of S&B, my usual "cheap" range ammo!) and I haven't started reloading yet.

2. All I need is a new barrel, and my .40 M&P will also be a .357 M&P. (kind of a good backup plan if didn't like the .40).

To each his own. Good luck finding a .357. It seems that S&W has supply issues, and only authorized dealers are getting them. Hopefully they'll ramp up production to meet the demand.

only authorized dealers are getting them.
    Absolutely not true!

Any one with an FFL can get one. I am certainly not an authorized dealer and have not problem getting M&Ps.

Now, I can say that I have yet to see a 357 sig anywhere. I am not sure they have actually shipped any yet, the distributors have the SKUs for them but have yet to receive any.

I do agree with the part that S&W needs to ramp up production, As the demand is only going to increase. I think right now they are focused mostly on getting these to the LEOs.

I can not wait for them to release the compact version, the pics I have seen look like its going to be a new friend for my right hip.

Dan

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links