Got A New Gun! S&W M&P

This is a discussion on Got A New Gun! S&W M&P within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was referring specifically to the .357 version Dan. It is simple idle speculation based upon what the dealer for the Gunbroker Auction says (it ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Got A New Gun! S&W M&P

I was referring specifically to the .357 version Dan. It is simple idle speculation based upon what the dealer for the Gunbroker Auction says (it is for a .357 http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=53460929).

Also, can you post a pic of the compact? I haven't seen one yet!
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

2. Remove Ads

Exodus,
    I hear you now. I still don't think you need to be an authorized dealer just darned lucky. Like I said they distributors have the SKUs which means they are expecting them. That means you should be able to get somone to order it for you, you would just have to wait until the distributor actually gets some. I watch RSR group alot as they claim to be the largest S&W distributor, they usually get S&W things first.

As for the compact pictures.. I am going to post a link to the M&P forum post that has the pictures. If the moderators don't aprove of this please let me know, I can start a new thread, The pics are not my own and I am trying not to step on anyones toes on either forum.
    http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=170

Thanks,
    Dan

You're probably right Dan. I guess what I meant to say... (it always happens that way - sounds right in head, but when it hits my tongue or fingers, it gets muddled)....is that there is a very limited supply, and only some distributors are getting them. I'm not sure how firearms are distributed from manufacturers, but I know for a fact that there are several ways that other industries handle new, limited supply, hot items. Anywho, the SC looks very interesting. I've never been one for compacts (they just don't fit in my hands well) but it looks interesting. The Mag extension just might make it comfortable to hold. Guess I'll have to wait for the local gun store to get them in stock so I can wrap my hands around one.

Do you run a full store Dan (EDIT-> Just saw the link in your signature. Going there now)?

By the way, my name is Thomas.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

You do some fine work Dan...

Although I'm fairly happy with the texture of the grip as it is. The media blasted stainless looks very nice though (don't know if I want to go that drastic yet, though).

So far, the only thing about the grip I don't like is the smooth front of the trigger guard. I wrap my finger around the front of the trigger guard to help limit muzzle climb (developed the technique with my SA XD) and with the M&P, my finger slips off easy (every couple of shots) and I have to reset my grip, or leave my finger off. The trigger guard doesn't seem very thick for cutting grooves like the XD has though. Have done anything like this on the M&P (or another polymer frame pistol with similiar dimensions)?

Also, I fell in love with the Hogue grips that I put on my P220 (the one I sold to fund the M&P). I know I could benefit from a little more cushion. The .40 isn't uncomfortable, but I felt it after 150 rounds (just like with the .45, but it took a few more rounds). The grips fixed that. Do you know if Hogue (or anyone else, for that matter) is planning on making grips for the M&P? I've heard that S&W is keeping the rights for all accessories...any truth to it?

Thanks for your help, and sorry for the rambling....

Second Range Trip

Took the M&P to the range today with 200 rounds of cheap Independance Ammo today. Just shot a full size target this time. I focused on my sight skills. I know I can hit with intuitive shooting, but my aimed shots are very weak. So, practice, practice practice! My first shot was a little low, so I focused on it (trying to make one ragged hole). The target was at 7 meters. I did both one handed and two handed stances. Everything outside the red circle was from one handed shooting (mostly my left - tried some off hand shooting). Right handed, I was able to put most of my shots through the hole. Left handed, it was a little rougher. The P220 was easier to hang on to in my off hand. The longer I shot, the wider my hole got, and I got some trailers towards the end. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I would definately benefit from some Hogue grips (or similar). As I stated in my question to Mr. Burwell, I found my finger slipping off the smooth trigger guard (although not as much as last time).

About Grips: I have seen the Hogue universal grips, but they don't extend up towards the beever tail (and that is where I'm feeling most of the shock). Has anyone seen universal grips that go all the way up?

About accuracy: The M&P is not quite as accurate as my SA XD. Obviously, stock sights aren't the most precise in the world, but I'm finding the aimed shots falling about an 1" wider with the M&P than with my XD. Guess I'll have to take both of them to the range next time for a side by side, eh?

Questions? Comments? Adice? Always appreciated.

Edit-> the shots in the bullseye were aimed- they were with my right hand, single handed.
    Attached Images

Exodus,
    Sorry for my delayed answer. As for the trigger guard, the area could certainly either be built up like an XD or glock or just textured. for a cheap yet effective fix you could clean the area real good with alcohol and slap some skateboard tape on there.

The slip on grip I don't really have an answer for you other than you may want to try the different sized grip inserts that came with the gun. You may find the one you shoot best with isn't necessarily the one that feels best in your living room.

Not to belittle you shooting skill in the least. The target looks to me like your pulling the trigger a bit too hard. Love the target

Dan

Thanks for the advice Dan. The grip tape is a great idea. I've tried all of the inserts and found the best. My only slip is on my off hand (index finger on the trigger guard). The grip tape should fix that.

You're definately right about my trigger finger. When I just look at the target and pull the trigger, I'm fine (what I call intuitive shooting, using hand-eye instead of sights). But, if I aim, I start to over-think everything. I find that I anticipate recoil (and push down) and I jerk the trigger. I actually did better today than usual, by focusing on the sights, I was able to ignore everying else. I was able to finally quiet my mind and shoot. I just need lots of aimed practice to curb my bad habits, you know?

I've attached a printable correction target which proved invaluable for isolating my problem areas.

Thanks again for your advice Dan. One more thing: Have you noticed any wobble in the slide of your M&P? Mine has a little side to side movement. I don't know if it was there before my first trip to the range, but I noticed it after I cleaned it after the first range trip. My XD is still tight after thousands of rounds, but my antique Radom has about the same amout of wobble (and it is extremely accurate). Should I worry about it? Maybe take it to a gunsmith, or contact S&W?
    Attached Images

Exodus,
    they all have loose slide to frame fits(rattle when you shake them), in fact if you look at the frame rails they are not flat they are rounded, they found this returned the slide to the same spot more reliably than the traditional flat rails, and wore less. I am not sure about this thinking but I am not an engineer, at the same time I will keep on making 1911's with flat rails.

Keep in mind this it is not the frame and slide that must lock up the same each time in order to get good accuracy, only the barrel and the slide. The frame to slide only has to be tight when using a frame mounted optic.

Dan

funny you should mention the xd vs the M&P. I found that I had to aim my Xd as to where I could "point" My M&P. I guess its all in the way you grip the pistol.

Be careful with the left finger forward of the trigger guard, it can be what is pulling your shots also.

True enough Dan. The iron sights will compensate for the slight variations in angle. And the loose and reliable principle was proven with the design of the AK47. Glad it's nothing to worry about.

I find they both point very naturally Jester, although the M&P is lighter. I'm not sure why I'm more accurate with the XD. Could be caliber. Guess I'll just have to suffer more practice at the range!

I've heard about the finger pull, but it happens when I shoot single handed as well as with both hands. Just need to work on not overthinking my aimed shots. They do say after all, the first step to correcting a problem is admitting you have one, and identifying what it is.

Another question for the experts:

Why is the front third of the recoil spring painted blue? I noticed a bit of it had flaked off when I cleaned the gun after this last trip to the range. The Sig I sold also had similar paint on the recoil spring (though green). Most of it had worn off when I bought the gun though. Is it part of manufacture's showing that it is a factory spring? Maybe a replacement guide (replace the spring when all the paint is gone)?

I assumed for assembly. KISS method. Blue paint to the front.

I just need lots of aimed practice to curb my bad habits, you know?
    I suggest that largest component of your practice should be dry fire. That's the best way I've found to reduce anticipation.

True enough Jester, although I mispoke. The paint (at least on mine) is at the back of the spring.

True enough M1911, although I find it isn't on the first shot. My first few will be stable and the more I fire, I'll start to push forward (and jerk the trigger a bit). Dry fire has helped, but I need live fire to correct it the most. I actually got a handle on it by going to the range every weekend. After awhile, I didn't shoot at all for about four months. Next time at the range, all the bad habits had returned. Guess I have to maintain it, you know?

Finally got around to taking a decent picture of the M&P. I had some trouble lighting it, but I think the photo turned out all right. I'll need to break out the filters and some additional lights to get it perfect though.
    Attached Images

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links