Got A New Gun! S&W M&P

This is a discussion on Got A New Gun! S&W M&P within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I may have just commited a sin (according some of you, at any rate ) I really tried to like my Sig. It was ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got A New Gun! S&W M&P

Got A New Gun! S&W M&P

Well, I may have just commited a sin (according some of you, at any rate ) I really tried to like my Sig. It was a great gun. Fit my hand like a glove and very accurate. The recoil was very manageable (not nearly as severe as I expected from a .45), but I just could not shoot it naturally. I learned on a single action, and every gun I've ever fired before the Sig was a single action. So, this early in my shooting life, I didn't really want a gun in my collection that is not natural, you know? (I know, a few thousand rounds, and I would be able to use it naturally). I sold it to my Step-Dad to fund a replacement. I digress though. I decided I definately wanted another SA striker fired gun. More than a 9mm, but with more capacity than the P220. I was really looking at the XD45 (I love my XD9!) when I spied the new M&P in the gun case. 15 rounds of .40 S&W. Perfect balance (it is surprisingly light) it points naturally, and I really like the trigger (on dry fire, at least). I hope to go to the range on Saturday. I'll post a range report once I go (with pictures, hopefully). I guess it doesn't matter how good a gun is, if it isn't natural, it isn't a good defensive weapon. I will accept a bit of flaming with a grin, perhaps even expect it.

I'm definately here to learn, and would welcome some discussion from the community on this. I'm a little torn (but I don't regret what I did). The collector in me says never trade! Keep everything! But my practical side won out. I do hear that Sig is competing for the government contract for the Military's new .45 and one of the requirements is a striker fired gun. There may definately be a new Sig in my future!

Questions? Comments? Advice? Anecdotes?
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Congratulations! I've not shot the new M&P, but handled them at the gunstore and was VERY impressed
    Looking forward to your range report...and a pic or two?

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus
    (I know, a few thousand rounds, and I would be able to use it naturally)
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

I'm looking forward to a range report and a comparison to the beloved XD9.

Congrats on the new pistol!
    XD9 Service
    Bersa 380 Thunder
    Taurus 605
    ...a few others

Texas XD Practical Shooters Association

Wow! You guys are fast. Thanks for the support. I took a few pictures with my camera phone to tide you over.

Congrats on becoming on of the Voices of Mod, TA!

Thanks for the support, by the way.

Forgot to put this in the original post - I did get one that doesn't have the manual lock.
    Attached Images
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

VIP Member
    Thanks, Exodus

I'm sure you're anxious to get to the range! I really liked the smooth trigger and natural point-ability of the M&P I got to handle
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member
    looks good! I saw on another forum where they are coming out with a compact model, they had some pics of the prototype, looked pretty good. can't find the darn link now, I think it was on THR.
    RKBA

John

You're quite welcome, TA.

Definately Anxious. I've read so many good things about it, and it just feels right. The proof will be in the BANG, of course.

I've also heard about a compact model, John. I read so many articles prior to purchase though, I've kinda lost track of where I read what, you know? I'm not much for compacts, but I know it will definately make the M&P line more appealing (to both LE and Civies, I imagine).

Very nice. Common rational here is "Shoot what is comfortable for YOU!" I do hope you got a fair amount of money back on the SIG though.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Funny thing is I am intreged by this handgun. I read a review on it once and it was a very positive review with little to say about anything bad about it that mattered much anyway.

Good luck with it and post a review of your own when you get the chance.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Ive gotten to shoot a couple of M&P's recently and have been impressed with S&W's latest entry into the polymer field. This pistol lives up to its M&P heritage, and should make a great LE/CCW/CIV. weapon, just like the long line of revolvers before it.

Cant wait to see a range report.
    And keep the SIG, you know you want to...
    Fear No Evil.

Sorry guys. Sold the Sig before I got the M&P (to my Step-Dad).

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Hey, let us know how it shoots....I'm looking at one myself. They seem really, really sweet!

I must say I'm not fond of the M&P's looks. However, it seems to be a highly functional sidearm and the steel chasis looks to provide a very rigid shooting platform.

Eh...Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose. I'll be sure to give a range report tomorrow (my first).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links