A Critical Look At The Glock 17.........

This is a discussion on A Critical Look At The Glock 17......... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well done article........ http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/C...Glock%2017.htm...

Thread: A Critical Look At The Glock 17.........

Cool A Critical Look At The Glock 17.........

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

2. Remove Ads

A timely article. I just came back from running some magazines thru my new 17. Functioning was boringly reliable. I shot my issued g22 and my g26 while I was at it just to function check them.

The cold weather really makes the g22 sting your hands. Just thought I would include that.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    A timely article. I just came back from running some magazines thru my new 17. Functioning was boringly reliable. I shot my issued g22 and my g26 while I was at it just to function check them.

The cold weather really makes the g22 sting your hands. Just thought I would include that.
    I hear that on the cold weather. I went to the outdoor range yesteday and shot the G-36, G-19 and the Hi-Power. All were totally reliable and I was doing some concealed drills from IWB appendix posistion drawing from under my sweatshirt. It had warmed up a bit but was still on the chilly side at 68 degrees.

I really get torn between magazine capacity and big bore bullets. Yes I still carry the G-23 and the G-19 most of the time but I really like the G-36 and I do carry an extra mag with that one. I have been carrying the duty G-21 on those days when I need a jacket and though the weight is there so are the 14 rounds of .45 ACP. As we have said before options are good. Stay safe.

P.S. I use rubber grip sleeves on all my Glocks and it virtually eliminates cold weather stinging of the hands.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    ^^
    68? Must have gone early. I was in shorts and T a couple of miles up the road!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

You and OldVet are killing me with that weather. My wife and I have been looking at some places around Crescent City {lived there as a child} and Palatka. I was wondering what the area is like now. It was 76-79 when I was there as a child. Any good hunting in the Ocala National Forest? Are there good places to shoot? You guys might have a neighbor in about 5 years, as I am definetly leaving Ky.

My rule of thumb, since I have the same dilema as you is when I carry smaller caliber, I want more capacity, and the bigger the hammer{caliber} the fewer swings it takes to get the post in the ground. When I carry a g26, I like the heavier bonded 147 grain bullets for penetration, but when I carry the g17, I like the high velocity lighter 124 grains at 1300 fps. The g23 is probably the best compromise of both.

The 45 is what it is.

Good article IMO....somewhat out of date. Good reading for the noob. For me and my ten years with the G17 (two pin model) 3rd gen....it's just a rehash and an advertisement.

The cold weather and polymer frame pistols. Just one of those things I reckon. Cold weather also makes your third leg crawl up inside where it's warm. A "sting" comes with the spring time and being outdoors with the insects that do such evil. Any time your carry pistol becomes uncomfortable is a time to make a change. If you're willing to work with it as is, then don't cry wolf to soon. Everything in this world demands a price. A perfect world will never exist so long as there are humans in it.

Cool

Gman I sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Good article IMO....somewhat out of date. Good reading for the noob. For me and my ten years with the G17 (two pin model) 3rd gen....it's just a rehash and an advertisement.

The cold weather and polymer frame pistols. Just one of those things I reckon. Cold weather also makes your third leg crawl up inside where it's warm. A "sting" comes with the spring time and being outdoors with the insects that do such evil. Any time your carry pistol becomes uncomfortable is a time to make a change. If you're willing to work with it as is, then don't cry wolf to soon. Everything in this world demands a price. A perfect world will never exist so long as there are humans in it.
    What in tarnation are you talking about?

It's a good article. Especially for those contemplating a Glock for the first time, or first time gun owners in general.

I saved it so I can refer it to others as needed.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I read this one a while back when I was first researching Glocks, it's good as far as your average end user would need to understand. He still missed an internal safety.

Not sure what all this "cold" talk is about though, while 9F it's still above zero here in WI so I haven't needed more than a sweatshirt or fleece outdoors in a few weeks. But I can't say too much cause I was at the indoor not outdoor range this week.

Glock Certified Armorer

I wonder if those broken springs were originated by pulling on the bang switch when the slide was locked to the rear?!
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Links