My new High Point 45 - Page 2

My new High Point 45

This is a discussion on My new High Point 45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That's why people need to research more before buying because not necessarily a high price tag = reliability. I have heard of fellows dropping big ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: My new High Point 45

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    That's why people need to research more before buying because not necessarily a high price tag = reliability. I have heard of fellows dropping big bucks for a Kimber 1911 only to have to sell it due to malfunctions and then proceeded to get a Springfield 1911.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I was gonna do the same thing until I made up my mind to just go ahead and spend the money on my G21.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

First time I have seen one in OD green. Congrats and Enjoy!
    When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe.

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    That's why people need to research more before buying because not necessarily a high price tag = reliability. I have heard of fellows dropping big bucks for a Kimber 1911 only to have to sell it due to malfunctions and then proceeded to get a Springfield 1911.
    Thats excellent advice. Might I add to question your gunsmith about any prospects. I work on these things and deal with the manufactures 5 days a week, but probably get questioned once a month about a prospective buy. Let me tell ya, some of the most expensive guns are made by companies with the worst customer service. If it's new you shouldn't be paying me to fix it, which means you'll have to deal with the manufacturer and some of them plain out stink!

Next thing you know you will be riding a moped.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Next thing you know you will be riding a moped.
    This is my moped...
    Attached Images

While the hi point sounds reliable and a good deal, I won't argue that, you need to keep in mind that 1911s are much more precise "machines" if you will, and once the kinks are worked out and they're fitted and functioning properly They can be fantastic. I'd bet my life on that 1911 over a high point anyday even if the 1911 did have some teething problems. I think you'd be a lot less likely to have stress fractures and things come apart after a couple thousand rounds on a 1911 than a high point. Not saying it would always be that way - but I'd take the 1911 and the time to get it right anyday. But thats just me.

Bunker;

Nice Gun and very Nice Moped.....

Lateck,

Congrats OP. I will admit to bashing Hi-points without ever operating but like you I've heard they are pretty reliable. They are defiantely not carry friendly (the only nice thing about concealing them would be that no-one would actually see it) but a range gun is a nice role for them. Enjoy your new range toy.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Congrats and hope you like it! if you do run into any problems with it rest assured that Hi-point has the best customer service in the business! so $120 it works and you get great customer service win win, but they are kinda big for some people.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Quote Originally Posted by MtflyerHK View Post
    While the hi point sounds reliable and a good deal, I won't argue that, you need to keep in mind that 1911s are much more precise "machines" if you will, and once the kinks are worked out and they're fitted and functioning properly They can be fantastic. I'd bet my life on that 1911 over a high point anyday even if the 1911 did have some teething problems. I think you'd be a lot less likely to have stress fractures and things come apart after a couple thousand rounds on a 1911 than a high point. Not saying it would always be that way - but I'd take the 1911 and the time to get it right anyday. But thats just me.
    cannot argue with that logic... the 1911 has been around for 100 years for a good reason... they just work. I doubt that my high point will last that long, but for the record, i never was comparing the two. People always want to compare, instead of just looking at a gun and saying, yea, it works. bunker

Administrator
    "I doubt that my high point will last that long,..........."

The Hi Point featuring a cast pot metal slide and not a steel slide - you can be absolutely that it won't. (see below)

> Pot metal, also known as monkey metal, white metal or die-cast zinc, is a slang term that refers to alloys that consist of inexpensive, low-melting point metals used to make fast, inexpensive castings.
    There is no scientific metallurgical standard for pot metal; common metals in pot metal include zinc, lead, copper, tin, magnesium, aluminium, iron, and cadmium.
    The primary advantage of pot metal is that it is quick and easy to cast.
    Due to its low melting temperature no sophisticated foundry equipment is needed and specialized molds are not necessary.
    It is sometimes used to experiment with molds and ideas before using metals of higher quality. Examples of items created from pot metal include toys, furniture fittings, tool parts, electronics components, and automotive parts.
    Pot metal can be prone to instability over time, as it has a tendency to bend, distort, crack, shatter, and pit with age.
    The low boiling point of zinc and the fast cooling of the newly-cast part often allow air bubbles to remain within the cast part, weakening the metal.
    Many of the components of pot metal are susceptible to corrosion from airborne acids and other contaminants, and the internal corrosion of the metal often causes the decorative plating to flake off.
    Pot metal is not easily glued, soldered or welded.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "I doubt that my high point will last that long,..........."

The Hi Point featuring a cast pot metal slide and not a steel slide - you can be absolutely that it won't. (see below)

> Pot metal, also known as monkey metal, white metal or die-cast zinc, is a slang term that refers to alloys that consist of inexpensive, low-melting point metals used to make fast, inexpensive castings.
    There is no scientific metallurgical standard for pot metal; common metals in pot metal include zinc, lead, copper, tin, magnesium, aluminium, iron, and cadmium.
    The primary advantage of pot metal is that it is quick and easy to cast.
    Due to its low melting temperature no sophisticated foundry equipment is needed and specialized molds are not necessary.
    It is sometimes used to experiment with molds and ideas before using metals of higher quality. Examples of items created from pot metal include toys, furniture fittings, tool parts, electronics components, and automotive parts.
    Pot metal can be prone to instability over time, as it has a tendency to bend, distort, crack, shatter, and pit with age.
    The low boiling point of zinc and the fast cooling of the newly-cast part often allow air bubbles to remain within the cast part, weakening the metal.
    Many of the components of pot metal are susceptible to corrosion from airborne acids and other contaminants, and the internal corrosion of the metal often causes the decorative plating to flake off.
    Pot metal is not easily glued, soldered or welded.
    Thanks for sharing the info. Guess it will still last my lifetime... and for goodness sake, i am glad i only wasted $120 on it

Administrator
    On the plus side the slide is thick & heavy & that will help.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    On the plus side the slide is thick & heavy & that will help.
    It really held up on some youtube videos which placed it through some torture tests. I did like the way it shot, and was pretty accurate. Hopefully will get to the range later this week and post some better pics of targets i shoot. bunker

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links