Taurus Model 66

Taurus Model 66

This is a discussion on Taurus Model 66 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Though i would post a picture of my new Taurus Model 66 revolver 4" 7shot 357 Magnum. Pick this one up new a few days ...

Thread: Taurus Model 66

Taurus Model 66

Though i would post a picture of my new Taurus Model 66 revolver 4" 7shot 357 Magnum. Pick this one up new a few days ago, and finally got out to shoot it today. With Remington UMC ammo in 38 special, its a puppy dog to shoot. Adjustable sights seemed close enough for now for stump shooting. 357 Magnum reloads (given to me by a friend) were very manageable also.

The grips are rather slim, but comfortable. They readily absorb recoil, and are grippy. Single action is scary how light the trigger is, and even double action is very smooth for a new gun. No, its no Colt Python, but for $375, its almost half that of a comparable Smith. Fit and finish is good, not great. The cylinder is tight, trigger is good, but the matte stainless is lacking just a little.

Functionally it worked great! Primary use for this gun will be range work, but with practice, think it may be a decent Deer gun where i hunt. I usually cannot shoot more than 45 yards in my thick woods. Ran 50 rounds of 38 special and about 14 rounds of 357 Magnum... no problems... cheers
    Attached Images

drw
    Congrats. I have a Taurus revolver and like it just fine.

I have a blued model 66. I have had it since 1989! Over 75,000 rounds thru it and now I need to send it to Taurus for repair. Something broke. The cylinder, when closed will spin freely. It will index when the hammer or trigger is pulled but will free spin otherwise. Best $250 investment I ever made. Hope to have it back soon.

Quote Originally Posted by MdMike View Post
    I have a blued model 66. I have had it since 1989! Over 75,000 rounds thru it and now I need to send it to Taurus for repair. Something broke. The cylinder, when closed will spin freely. It will index when the hammer or trigger is pulled but will free spin otherwise. Best $250 investment I ever made. Hope to have it back soon.
    Wow, that's alot of shooting.... how is the blueing holding up after all these years? bunker

Congrats on the new addition. My father purchased a Taurus Mod 66 20 years ago. My first revolver purchase was a Taurus 669. Overall my experience with Taurus revolvers has been positive.

I have a blued Model 66 with the 6 inch barrell. Picked it up at a pawn shop, and after I cleaned it determined that it was barely used (still oozing cosmoline). I checked the manufacturing date on the Taurus website and it turns out it was made in 2007, and I got it in the summer of 2009. Mine is a VERY accurate handgun at ranges out to the 25 yards imit of the local range. Very controlable and fun to shoot, although it does heat up after a couple of cylinders of .357's. Enjoy!

Nice gun you got there. I had a blue 7 shot, 66 years ago. I didn't have access to a range back then, so I never had much opportunity to shoot it, but when I did, it did just fine. I foolishly traded it off during one of my bouts with the "semi-auto bug."
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

GM
    Glad you like it. Enjoy.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Links