Kimbers need to go thru 500 rounds b4 u can trust your life with it?

This is a discussion on Kimbers need to go thru 500 rounds b4 u can trust your life with it? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First of all, please allow me to start off to say that this post is not intended to be a Kimber bashing post. I have ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kimbers need to go thru 500 rounds b4 u can trust your life with it?

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

First of all, please allow me to start off to say that this post is not intended to be a Kimber bashing post. I have never owned a Kimber nor have even shot you for that matter.

Last month, my girlfriend decided that she wanted to buy a gun that she can carry - after she gets her CCDW. She saw a Springfield EMP and liked it a lot. She has a friend that has one and her friend was going to allow her to shoot hers to see how she liked it before she spent +$1,000 for a handgun. I personally liked the looks of the EMP but thought that a Kimber model may also be an attractive alternative to consider considering the price range she was looking at. With that being said, I started to do a little research on the internet but noticed that in some of the forums some people were saying that the newer Kimbers weren't being made as well and that Kimber customer service was awful. At the same time, however, I was reading that Springfield has wonderful customer service.

Tonight I stopped at a local gunshop to pick up a birthday present for my brother. At the counter near the cash register, my girlfriend and I noticed a nice Kimber that looked somewhat simliar to her Springfield with the exception that the handles were a little different and the Kimber had a Crimson Trace lazer on it. At that time, my girlfriend said something about the poor customer service that we had heard about Kimber. After she said that, the guy checking us out said that he has dealt with Kimber for years and has never encountered any poor service with them, etc. He added, however, that with Kimber, you need to shoot 500+ rounds through them before they will feed correctly only because they are very tight when they are new. He said that most sales people neglect to tell customers this when they buy one. As a result of this, the customer comes back after they had shot 50 rounds and would want their gun repaired because it's not feeding properly. He went on to say that the Kimber literature says to shoot the gun alot before you can expect it to function properly.

After we got home, I got to thinking about what this guy at the gunstore told us about Kimber. It then occured to me that if this was true then isn't also true to say that you can't trust your life with a new Kimber; that if you needed a gun today that you could count on, then you would need to buy a used Kimber if you really wanted a Kimber. I say that knowing that you can't fully count on any mechanical device because all fail or malfunction eventually irrespective of make or model.

I just thought I would post this to see what kind of input I would receive about the comments we received tonight - Kimbers have to have 500+ rounds go through them before they function properly.

Thanks for your help.

God bless,

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    I believe that you should always practice with any gun before depending on it. I would think that if you were to really need it for defense tonight and it was just purchased, that it would probably work fine. I believe anything mechanical needs some kind of break in period. I also believe that Kahr's state that they need a minimum of a 200 round break in period. I hope this helps. God Bless

That's a good point VBVAGUY.

I am a Kimber fan, I am also a 1911 fan in general. I got a Kimber Pro Carry II for Christmas and took it out three days later and put about 100 rounds through it, without one single flaw or jam or anything else. It went bang every time. Needing 500 rounds could be true for any gun but my experience is perfect.

As for the CT laser grips. I am saving up to get them on my PC II. I watched the video's online and it's amazing how many scenario's in which they are a wonderful asset.

I say go for it. She won't be disappointed and I have a feeling you will get one for yourself soon after.

Thats right Kahr recommends 200 round break-in &
    Kimber recommends 400-500 round break-in cleaning every 100-150

To the OP ... Do NOT worry about the break-in ALL quality firearms need a break-in period (especially the 1911 platform) Kimbers are exceptional firearms I personally carry a Kimber UC2 w/night sights & CTC laser grips everyday & i also own a Kimber Eclipse Target 2....

I will say that i have had almost flawless function with mine, the UC2 had a few FTF's in the first few hundred rounds which I pinpointed to the "slide release lever" & I called Kimber & they sent me brand new "modified" lever FREE & were very helpful. Ever since then it's been FLAWLESS !!
    I trust those pistols 100% & by the way no matter which pistol you choose always fire 100-200 rounds of whatever "self-defense" round you choose to make sure it functions in your pistol. Every pistol has its likes & dislikes....Good Luck
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

I've said it before, I know of cops carrying guns they've never shot.

I find it funny that we are ingrained to not point an empty gun at someone because of the rules, but fear the loaded gun in our holster won't go bang when we need it.

I own one gun who's owners manual says it should go bang every time you pull the trigger, or it's broke.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

I've had several Kimbers, although now I only use Glocks.
    My Kimbers, all three CDP's, never gave me any problems. I did shoot a few hundred rounds with each of them to insure proper function, but they all worked fine and gave me peace of mind.
    I would not have a problem with owning a Kimber in the future, if I wanted to go back into 1911's again, but at this point in my life, I'm sticking with my G's.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

500 rounds is a realistic break in for any pistol. I personally don't trust any pistol until I've shot at least 500 rounds of the defense ammo I'll be using it.

My experience with Kimbers customer service as been nothing but good,they don't like you trying to fix it yourself though. They would rather you send it back untouched,which I can sympathize with because there is nothing worse that trying to trouble shoot unknown changes. Make sure you download there manual and go over it before you purchase,some manufactures have a replacement schedule for certain parts such as springs.

Yeah, my Kimber is a fine firearm and I totally trust it. Be leary of stuff people tell you in stores and the like. I used to sell guitars and I remember all the stories from "Insiders" who knew about a particular batch of wood in a specific period of time, a particular brand of amp will literally explode, etc...All hogwash. All from the so called pros. Go with what a mojority of people online say and as a general rule ignore any single story or instance. I dont care what brand it is, some body, somewhere allegedly knows some guy who had one explode and it blew his face off. I think the 500 round break in is to cover their butt, essentially encouraging people to shoot it, get familiar with it.
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

I shoot 2-300 rounds every time I go out. I'd never dream of carrying a pistol to save my life, even a Glock, without running 500 trouble-free rounds through it.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Thanks for the replies guys. A break in for any gun sounds like good advice/sound logic. From the sound of it so far, there's not a problem with Kimber customer service either. From some forums I have read, it really sounded like there was a problem with Kimber customer service but I suppose one guy that didn't get what he wanted could make several bad posts trashing a company making it appear there is a consensus, etc. I really would like to get to the bottom of this customer service claim though so I am going to make a separate post for it since this one was mostly concerned with break in/reliability, etc.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I shoot 2-300 rounds every time I go out. I'd never dream of carrying a pistol to save my life, even a Glock, without running 500 trouble-free rounds through it.
    +1
    3 Kimbers, 2 Colts and 2 Springers over the years. Not one ran 100% out of the box. Between break in and some simple fixes, they all turned into very reliable shooters. I've had several different pistols that ran right from day one but I'd never carry them without testing them first.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I own 7 Kimbers. 2 Colts, 3 Glocks, 2 Springers, 1 STI, and 1 Bersa all 45's and
    I like all of them and the reasons are different for each. But I have noticed that it
    seems everyone loves to bash Kimbers, that fine it just makes it easier to buy used ones
    CHEAP.
    "Some gave all"
    RIP MSG Kelly Hornbeck

If she likes the EMP, why are you looking at Kimbers for her? Kimber doesn't make anything equivelant to the EMP and Springfield customer service is second to none. Besides, it's her money.

I have had MANY, Many guns over the last 42 years of carrying. Most every gun of every mfg has functioned as designed out of the box (some cleaning required). However, I have had many not function/ break within the first 200 rounds. These have been from almost every major manufacture and every action type. Plus I have seen many not function within 50 rounds. The lastest was a new S&w 325 night guard. Locked up after 7 rounds of ball. It was the little spring at the rear of the cylinder release that was kinked. Tough to screw up a revolver but it was done. They are mechanical. Humans make the parts. Humans assemble them. test them yourself. It's your butt on the line. Your safety is your responsibiliy.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links